Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:55 PM

844 posts, read 1,281,670 times

Advertisements

http://www.fbi.gov/headlines/2008-hate-crimes/hate_crimes.jpg (broken link)

FBI — Hate Crimes - Press Room - Headline Archives 11-23-09

Quote:
Of the 6,927 known offenders, 61.1 percent were whit
washingtonpost.com
Quote:
Some studies examining how employers review black and white job applicants suggest that discrimination may be at play.

"Black men were less likely to receive a call back or job offer than equally qualified white men,"
Hispanics Cite Rise In Discrimination - washingtonpost.com

Quote:
More than half of Hispanics -- 54 percent -- who responded to the Pew Hispanic Center's survey reported discrimination, although the survey did not describe the types of bias they encountered.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/...remism.report/
Quote:
Right-wing extremist groups may be using the recession and the election of the nation's first African-American president to recruit members, a Department of Homeland Security report contends.
Racism, hate crimes and discrimination on all levels are on the rise. Statistically, if you are a black, hispanic, jewish or muslim person in America, you are MORE LIKELY (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2008/offenders.html - broken link) to be violently victimized (because of your ethnicity/race/religion) by a white person than a white person is to be victimized by you. Yet, this board and several others are filled with 'angry whites' claiming how dangerous the 'immigrants, terrorists, and blacks' are and how threatened they are.

Even in the face of such statistics, they seem to be willing to ignore the proof to maintain their prejudices. What does this mean? If you are not white, do you feel threatened? If you are white and feel this way, why do you not feel the statistics are relevant? If you are white and do not feel this way, what do you think overall?

Old 11-24-2009, 04:20 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,965,265 times
This is from your first link:

Quote:
What’s the impact of the new hate crime legislation on future hate crime statistics? The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act—the first expansion of federal civil rights laws since the mid-1990s—criminalizes violence (or attempted violence) against victims because of their race, color, religion, or national origin, and also adds four new categories to that list of biases—actual or perceived gender, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. In addition, the law eliminates the provision that the crimes also be motivated by the victim’s participation in one of several specific federally-protected activities.
They denote the increase as slight, also considering the addition of new components as well as the relaxation of previous requirements for classification, a rise may be simply due to this effect.

Also each year as the FBI notes, poor application to the meaning of such statistics are used:

Variables Affecting Crime - Hate Crime Statistics, 2008 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2008/variables.html - broken link)

Quote:
Each year when Hate Crime Statistics is published, some entities—news media, tourism agencies, and other groups with an interest in crime in our Nation—use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties. These rankings, however, are merely cursory classifications made by the data user; they provide no insight into the many variables that mold the crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region. Consequently, these rankings lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting cities and counties, along with their residents.
Quote:
Hate Crime Statistics provides a nationwide view of hate crime based on statistics contributed by local, county, state, tribal, and federal law enforcement agencies. Although many of the listed factors equally affect the crime of a particular area, the UCR Program makes no attempt to relate them to the data presented. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual reporting units from cities, counties, metropolitan areas, states, or colleges or universities solely on the basis of the statistics provided. Until data users examine all the variables that influence crime in a town, city, county, state, region, or college or university, they can make no meaningful comparisons.
So...

Do the statistics imply anything? Hard to say without really diving in and trying to account for the numerous variables to which would establish such (something many agencies claiming analysis rarely properly do). If one thing is certain, I have found that statistics these days are used far more for political sway than any meaningful attempt to find some truth.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:38 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,064,532 times
What about anti-white racism?

Old 11-24-2009, 04:43 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,039,968 times
you mean like the 32 gang members just arrested in my state who hunted whites? they dont count. they had bad childhoods

Old 11-24-2009, 04:46 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,084,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
you mean like the 32 gang members just arrested in my state who hunted whites? they dont count. they had bad childhoods
There is something too fishy about that whole story, I am starting to think most of it is made up.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:13 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,338,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
There is something too fishy about that whole story, I am starting to think most of it is made up.
Why though?
I'm a black guy and I've been "jumped" by plenty of BLACK DUDES in my life, so what makes them jumping whites different?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:19 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,039,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
stay on topic this is about crime not global warming

Old 11-24-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
Why though?
I'm a black guy and I've been "jumped" by plenty of BLACK DUDES in my life, so what makes them jumping whites different?
It isnt that, it is the fact that they claim it is 32 gang members, then they say it is members of the rollin 60's Crips and the Black Gangster Disciples. That is the part that is fishy. For one, Black Gangster Disciples split into other organizations years and years ago. So they are not even an organization any more. For two, Even if BGD's were still an organization, they were part of the folks nation, and had no ties or affiliation with any faction of Crips.

This part of the story is what causes my doubts. Once the media starts changing facts, then it is hard to determine what the truths are. These black men may have been arrested for their crimes, but, it may be possible it wasnt racially motivated, but the media added that in, to make it sound worse then it really was.

They did the same type of thing with the beating of Derrion Albert in Chicago a couple of months ago. the media made it sound like he got caught in a gang fight and was beaten to death for not joining, which was so far from the truth, it wasn't even funny.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
stay on topic this is about crime not global warming

excuse me, you are telling me to stay on topic, and i just brought up a point on your response, so the only way I am off topic, is if you are off topic.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:26 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,223,501 times
There is a problem with your statistics. It says 61% are white and 20% are black, but it categorizes hispanics as whites. Which honestly, I have no clue why they consistently categorize Mexicans as white, but they categorize Native-Americans in the category by themselves. And I do understand that about 70% of Mexicans are mestizo's who have some Spanish blood. They are hardly Europeans.

If you take just the 61% white and 20% black number. You can already see that blacks(who represent 13% of the population) are the perpetrators of hate crimes far more often than whites on average. I would bet almost any amount of money, if you could separate full whites from latinos, you would see the same trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies