Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 02:17 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Yes, in 2006. It's 2009 now.

Since a bunch of overzealous control freaks bitched and moaned, they caved to the pressure and now start using SEVERAL different religious greetings, including CHRISTMAS, and it's still not good enough.

Please tell us what you would like. What will make you folks happy? Be specific. Best Buy can't have greetings for Muslim holidays which occur a month before Christmas.... exactly why? How does this disrespect Christmas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 03:47 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Please tell us what you would like. What will make you folks happy? Be specific. Best Buy can't have greetings for Muslim holidays which occur a month before Christmas.... exactly why? How does this disrespect Christmas?

Equal time (& sale prices) for Festivus?

Old 11-25-2009, 05:41 AM

139 posts, read 260,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Apparently, based on the links, this thread is based on a lie.
Shocked, I tell you.
Absolutely shocked that xians would lie about something like this.

Okay, I'm not that surprised.
Interesting viewpoint. So with that logic, I suppose then that Best Buy themselves are liars and part of some vast right wing conspiracy maybe? Hmm...

Best Living - Community Manager's blog - Best Buy Forum

Old 11-25-2009, 05:46 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID65 View Post
And when you shop at Walmart "made in the USA" are dirty words. How many Americans lost jobs because of their business practices? Merry Thanksgiving!
Oh come on, you can't really think that the USA should/can remain a manufacturing economy? Please, knock some sense into yourself, wake up and smell the roses. The USA can no longer effectively compete as a manufacturer. Other countries do it faster, cheaper, and frankly better than we do. The USA has to move into other areas of commerce (like research, medical, and intellectual production) and leave behind our days of manufacturing. We just can't be competitive making 99c bags of toilet paper for Wal-Mart.

The sooner people like you realize that and stop whining about it, the better.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:54 AM

96 posts, read 130,587 times
Quote:
But you seem to be A-OK with them pandering to Christians. Interesting!
That is categorically NOT what I stated. It seems impossible to ever engage you liberals in a discussion because you LIE about everything, and manipulate every fact and statement in an attempt to garner the advantage instead of simply having real viable viewpoints.

I stated that if happy holidays were being used for everything else, the muslim holiday should not be singled out for some exception. Pretty simple, right? Look how you distorted that.

Quote:

I would bet dollars-to-dougnuts they end up printing the word Christmas more time than they do Eid al-Adha.
Why? Because you figured out this country is full of Christians, NOT muslims? Imagine that!

Quote:
Much ado about nothing. Just another story spun to try and convince people that this silly "War on Christmas" is real. Why does the Right always come up with these "War on <insert current outrage>"? Rhetorical question, no need to answer.
Oh, the 'war on christmas' is quite real. I worked retail years ago when this issue first started appearing, and every company went politically correct to the extreme.

Heres the crux of it: They are begging us to purchase things now. They feel more of that absolute burning need to have us in store and please us with the economy in a down turn, so suddenly Christmas reappears in their vocabulary.

The fact that you sit there and state otherwise means you werent paying attention in the last decade as stores instructed their employees to stop saying Merry Christmas, start saying Happy Holidays, and widely removed Christmas from marketing materials.

You should wake the hell up.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:07 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's good! Hopefully Best Buy won't be as packed if the Evangelicals flee to Wal-Mart. If this is all it takes to get rid of the good ole boys, i wish more stores pandered to Muslims. Maybe now the parking lot at Best Buy won't have raised trucks double parked.
Yeah, I normally don't go into Best Buy if I can help it, but now it may actually be rather pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethrowpie View Post
No, using "happy holidays" then making an exception for the muslim holiday is what pisses people off. If you're going to use happy holidays, use it across the damn board. Pandering to muslims is exceptional bull****.
I agree. You can say "Happy Holidays" and cover everything, or you can specifically try to cover each individual holiday, which is a recipe for disaster, as evidenced by this thread. Of course, the word "holiday" originally meant "holy day", so it still has a somewhat religious implication.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:12 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
I dont shop at Best Buy so no problem

Old 11-25-2009, 06:56 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Here's what is happening:

It's not even Thanksgiving yet, and the crybabies are out in full force because they haven't been wished a Merry Christmas enough times by minimum wage retail clerks and advertising mailers.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:07 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
People who need Target; Best Buy; etc., to acknowledge their particular religious beliefs are exposing their insecurity and the weakness of their faith.

I don't need PRIVATE COMPANIES to hold my hand. My beliefs are solid regardless of what some faceless entity does.

Also, I don't believe things just because a radical sounding blog says so. I have a feeling there is more to this story, not to mention, the OP's own link says that Best Buy DOES use "Christmas" sporadically in their ads. So the claim that they don't acknowledge it at all is false in the first place. A bunch up hyped-up, propagandized half-truths. They're just not using it enough to satisfy some people. We don't get to dictate how often private companies say "Christmas" in some twisted bid to reaffirm our beliefs.
That post should've just ended the debate.

Ya know, when that much logic, intelligence and common sense are found in one post maybe some people should READ it and LEARN.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:40 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I'm thinking it's not so much a "war on christmas" but a shift from using CHRISTmas as an excuse for consumption and commercialization. Let the day be holy for those who care about that kind of thing. And be happy that the drunken, excess, tacky pomp and circumstance that has become customary doesn't have to be associated with it anymore. I really REALLY don't see why ANY christian would mind that one bit. Unless it's not even about Jesus but about being pandered to...??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies