Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 09:01 AM

142 posts, read 206,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Exactly. If you can't speak with proper english, wear properly sized clothes and pants, and can't walk without a war limp, well, you're not gonna get hired. Just so happens it's more of a black thing.

People here keep emphasizing this "proper english, baggy pants" thing, but it's not always that. I've had plenty of jobs but have not been capable of keeping them because of my thought process. A person's mental instability will eventually put them out of work. I know most people don't like mentioning this, but quite a few blacks do suffer with different types of mental disorders--depression, bipolar, antisocial, etc. I wonder how many of these unemployed black men have underlying mental health issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 12:19 PM

73,082 posts, read 62,717,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Early 40s is considered "up there" in this youth-oriented culture we live in. I bet you laugh at people in my age group all the time. While that is largely harmless, it does translate into more ignoble intentions in the workplace.

Your father was laid off. That could be for many reasons- cost cutting for example. Everybody in my family has been laid off at one point or another. It happens.

Every company I have ever worked for, north or south, is falling overthemselves to get qualified African-Americans on board. Mrs Moth's nonprofit needs AAs with PhDs in Economics. Problem is there are not a lot of PhDs in Economics in general and even less AAs. The ones that are there go for the big money.
I don't know about that. I know a man who is in his late 50s(he turned 60 this following January) and he still has his engineering job.

Layoff is one thing. Not being able to find a job in your field for a year is another issue. He was looking for jobs in the South and he ended up being offered a job in Texas most of the time(I don't consider Texas the South). My father is an engineer by trade. His work involves designing parts on computers, computer programming, and industrial engineering. Economics and not-for-profit has nothing to do with what he does for a living. That is part of why what I see isn't the same as what you are saying. There were many times when he was passsed up for a job by someone who had less education and less experience. It angers me that someone with alot of experience can get turned away in favor of someone who is not as well educated.

How am I laughing at people in your age group?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:24 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,799,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't know about that. I know a man who is in his late 50s(he turned 60 this following January) and he still has his engineering job.

Layoff is one thing. Not being able to find a job in your field for a year is another issue. He was looking for jobs in the South and he ended up being offered a job in Texas most of the time(I don't consider Texas the South). My father is an engineer by trade. His work involves designing parts on computers, computer programming, and industrial engineering. Economics and not-for-profit has nothing to do with what he does for a living. That is part of why what I see isn't the same as what you are saying. There were many times when he was passsed up for a job by someone who had less education and less experience. It angers me that someone with alot of experience can get turned away in favor of someone who is not as well educated.

How am I laughing at people in your age group?
And I happen to know more than a few black men in their early 60s who have never experienced anything like your father. And I know lots of white men who are experiencing the same thing as your father. Did you ever think that there is more to it?

I am uncomfortable using your father as an example. Firstly, he is your dad and you cannot view him objectively- nothing wrong with that as he is your dad. Secondly, you are using an example in isolation. Were there numerous black men like your dad- highly skilled black men looking for work- then you would have a point. But there is no such phenom.

I used the black men with Econ doctorates simply as an example of organizations that are determined to procure black employees. No direct connection with your father. Most companies want black employees. That hardly a racist business structure makes, no?

As for the "laughing", that was a tongue in cheek comment regarding age discrimination. I take it you are in your 20s. Many in that age group find my age group (mid 40s) old. Just a joke, nothing more.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:36 PM

369 posts, read 777,736 times
I know 34% is very high for any age grouping to be unemployed, but to be fair 16-24 of all ethnicities is the lowest employment percentage. Men aged 16-18 usually aren't bread winners for the family, so that takes out ~25% of the people in this pool. Now for men aged 19-24, many are still in college or many don't have enough experience. It is a competitive job market, now more than ever. I think black males do get shafted for jobs and its not right, but 34% of black males 16-24 unemployment sounds plausible for this economic time. Of the men, I wonder how many have had the OPPORTUNITY to acquire a college education. Therein lies another reason this number is high...

Old 12-02-2009, 03:12 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,544,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Not to mention the fact that blacks are sentenced to harsher and longer sentences for similar crimes than whites, 9 time out of 10 by white criminal justice officials.
Most are non-violent crimes. They are usually in jail due to drugs, and then they get additional time due to their experiences in jail.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 PM

31 posts, read 23,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am sure there is racism BUT I feel like a lot of African Americans have very poor work ethics. I remember like last month, I was the Minneapolis International airport and one of the security guards, a Black gentleman had fallen asleep in his chair, I thought that was very unprofessional and irresponsible. The whole Black attitude works against them, like wearing certain clothes, walking a certain way, heck, I have seen black kids come to job interviews with do rags on their heads and pants falling off their butts. I don't see why a Black man who is educated, presents himself in a professional and respectful manner and speaks good English would not be able to find a good job!
What an incredibly racist post.
So basically this person is saying that they are unemployed because some people like him are prejudiced and think that all black people are lazy and uneducated.
There are plenty of young black males who are in college, who have degrees, and who do not wear do rags or sagging pants.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:36 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,001,110 times
Unemployment is very high for young people in general, not just black men.

The dead end kids - NYPOST.com

"The number of young Americans without a job has exploded to 53.4 percent — a post-World War II high, according to the Labor Dept. — meaning millions of Americans are staring at the likelihood that their lifetime earning potential will be diminished and, combined with the predicted slow economic recovery, their transition into productive members of society could be put on hold for an extended period of time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
The whole Black attitude works against them, like wearing certain clothes, walking a certain way, heck, I have seen black kids come to job interviews with do rags on their heads and pants falling off their butts. I don't see why a Black man who is educated, presents himself in a professional and respectful manner and speaks good English would not be able to find a good job!
I agree with this. The hip-hop culture that many young black people ascribe to does not help them when searching for living wage jobs in the real world.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:40 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,544,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
We can be our own worst enemy. It starts with a high percentage of black males not taking fatherhood seriously.As a community we need to say collectively if you are criminal uneducated and unemployed you are a bum. Instead these guys still come to family functions unchallenged. Black females continue to choose them as mates so why would they change. 90% of that little unemployment problem is our on fault. A racist cant stop a educated hard working black man from succeeding. That is a cop out. The answer is for black women to choose and demand men who will handle thier responsibilities and then all the gangster drug king pen rapper stuff will go away and make us hirable again.
White women with a preference for black men choose unemployed, uneducated, black men as well. Let us keep this real folks!!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:39 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,539,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
White women with a preference for black men choose unemployed, uneducated, black men as well. Let us keep this real folks!!
wwhhattt!!!! that has nothing to do with this post. choose who you want. Im keeping it real.IF YOUR MAN IS BETTER AT MADDEN THAN AT HANDLING PAPER WORK AND YARD WORK THIS IS YOU

Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,510,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I still think you need to confront CBS News about it.

Otherwise: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a Clark Gable."
Aww, I love that movie and he was so sexy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies