Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 05:18 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,151,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Maybe it's a difference in generations, but we were taught not to waste.
then dont buy more than you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 05:20 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,416,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm not preaching communism here.

Business is not all bad, but let's look at what is going on. Here are some basic business facts:

Point #1 -Businesses exist to make money.

Point #2 -Businesses make huge campaign contributions which influence what politicians do and don't do.

Point #3 -People need and/or want to buy stuff.

Point #4 Businesses make more profits when more people buy more stuff.

So, we have a system where corporations influence politicans to do things which favor the corportations and flood the market with products that are not repairable or long lasting and spend billions of dollars on trying to convince people to buy their products, whether they need them or not, all because when it's all said and done, that's where the $$$ is.

Not "right" or "wrong", it just is. Call it nature. Anyway, all this stuff doesn't just disappear when people are done with it, so naturally, the more successful business is, the more waste there will be. It's as simple as that.

And how is this the individual person's fault? They are the dairy cows in the system! They sit around and eat while some one else milks them.

Also, business in America is not driven only by consumer sentiment. Consumerism is shoved down our throats. I cannot leave my house without being bombarded by adds on Bilboards, signs, raido and even guys in chicken costumes on street corners. My mailbox is filled with garbage everyday and people leave more on my doorknob and windshield. Don't even get me started on TV. I can't take my kids to the store without them begging and whining and crying for everything they recognize from the TV. And the sad part is I was the same way when I was their age.

Well I'm SICK of it! I don't want a life where happiness and success are measured by how full of crap my mcmansion is. There is more to life than stuff, and ESPECIALLY plasticy worthless crap from China. The views are also better when they aren't crowded with advertisements. I'm not saying get rid of it, I'm saying back off! There is too much.

But I do agree the individual is responsible for rising above it. They don't have a chance in hell otherwise if they can't do it on their own.
I never once mentioned communism.

There has been an insedious agenda that has crept into the American pysche these past decades and effects both parties.

That the g'ment "knows btter than you", knows better how to raise your children, knows better how to run your business, knows better how to lvie your life, etc etc.

A full grown man can vote, go to war, make legally binding contracts, take out college loans, etc. but can't buy a bottle of beer for another two years. Sound reasonable? A bar owner cannot make the decision on whether to allow smoking in his private establishment or not, despite ther being no clinical research proving any hazards in second hand smoke. Sound reasonable? Really? There is now noise being made to eliminate certain fats and other things from resturant foods, thus removing yet another personal choice. Sound reasonable?

What you forwarded is merely another example of that mentality that has krept into government, and is supported by a growing numbers of the Employers of said government, us. Remove more and more personal responsibility in favor of those "who know better" than we.

As far as consumer force feeding? Doesn't exist. We are not compelled to buy the latest X-box, we are not forced to buy the newest Lard Burger. People let themselves be hypnotised by a billion dollar industry, marketing, but no one holds a gun to our heads.

I just upgraded my computer, three years ago, since the last upgrade was more than a decade ago. I drive an old "outdated" Lincoln I picked up cheap, or my good ol' twenty year old ranger club-cab. All of my firearms are either 19th century reproductions or one "modern" .38 for C&C that's nearly as old as I. I simply refuse to "Baa" and follow the blank eyed masses through the department store, and until more people break that habit, marketing will continue to rule.

But again, marketing doesn't hold a gun to our heads.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
then dont buy more than you need.
We do not.

We recycle through the city, we are careful of the amount of food we buy and if we happen to have extra invite friends for dinner. We buy bread almsot daily so it doesn't go stale, but on those occasions it does, into the bird feeder with it. We buy beef by the side and a single purpose deep freezer for the meat. None goes to waste. I also have my own garden in the backyard as well, to grow what veggies I eat and also some for freinds and family who eat them.

It is absolutely easy to live without waste, yet many people seem too lazy to do so.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:43 PM

20,294 posts, read 37,212,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I blame the evil corporations that engineered and perpetuate consumerism. They more people waste, the more they buy and the more money they make.

There's your boogey man, folks.
Why blaming the same corporations that employ so many people? It's us who are to blame, and this includes corporations, everyone of us, and even the government.

We indoctrinate ourselves all the way around when watching TV, listening to radio commercials, looking at billboards, and so forth. This indoctrination is not only in relation to foods, but politics and anything one can think about.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:34 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,830,406 times
Ladies and Gentelman it is official! George Bush is responsible for food waste, and I really believe this and I want you to take me serious, and I'm not kidding either, it is his fault its his legacy and stuff, cause he was a republican and he started wars and owned a bunch of oil companies and he talked about Jesus and haliburton mcmansions fromTexas blablablablablablalblablabla.....................

Old 11-27-2009, 06:40 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,312,848 times
Another troll bites the dust.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,151,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
We do not.

We recycle through the city, we are careful of the amount of food we buy and if we happen to have extra invite friends for dinner. We buy bread almsot daily so it doesn't go stale, but on those occasions it does, into the bird feeder with it. We buy beef by the side and a single purpose deep freezer for the meat. None goes to waste. I also have my own garden in the backyard as well, to grow what veggies I eat and also some for freinds and family who eat them.

It is absolutely easy to live without waste, yet many people seem too lazy to do so.
that sure sounds like a lot of waste...
Wasted trips to the store daily, resulting in wasted time, wasted gas, wasted labor, running extra freezers wasting electricity. Yeah, we all deal with different types of waste, you waste energy, I'd rather waste food.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:54 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,483,645 times
Quote:
You may be a partisan hack if:
- the other side is to blame totally for all that is wrong in the country.
- you think its o.k. for judges to legislate from the bench as long as it coincides with your position.
- you won't admit the opposing party probably has as many good and as many bad ideas as your own favorite party.
Urban Dictionary: partisan hack

Old 11-27-2009, 06:55 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,863,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Amazing how you come to that conclusion considering it discusses the fact that the statistics come from data as old as 1974.......

Oh that's right, its okay to pick and choose what you want to talk about as long as it supports YOUR claim.
I'd say that qualifies him to be a 'leading expert on climate change'. I guess this is what Obama meant by 'returning science to its rightful place'.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
that sure sounds like a lot of waste...
Wasted trips to the store daily, resulting in wasted time, wasted gas, wasted labor, running extra freezers wasting electricity. Yeah, we all deal with different types of waste, you waste energy, I'd rather waste food.
Nice try. I walk daily and stop on the way home.

Many people have a fridge and a deep freeze, we do to.

Any other ad hominems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies