Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,304,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
It's sad that people concern themselves with what others make and how "unfair" things are. Professional athletes decided long ago to dedicate their life to something and become the best at it. Some are naturally gifted, but the majority just worked harder than the rest.

You can determine what you want in your life. Those that complain about others are going to be unhappy no matter what. You could give them a house and they'd wonder why the guy next door has a bigger one.

Jealousy is pathetic. What someone else does or doesn't make shouldn't concern you. People should worry about themselves.
You are very right about some wanting to be equal to others. For instance, people all over the country were very happy to watch Michael Jordan "hang in the air" and score when he maybe shouldn't have. Today people love to go to games that LeBron James plays in because he can play the game better than others. There are some others in the basketball world who draw as well as James does but not many who draw like he does.

I used to attend pro ball games in the days when they didn't have to charge an arm and a leg to each person who walks through the turnstiles in order to get enough to pay the stars all that money.

I don't see why so many people think everybody should be equal to others when those others work so hard to do what they do and deserve what they get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 10:00 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,678,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
It's sad that people concern themselves with what others make and how "unfair" things are. Professional athletes decided long ago to dedicate their life to something and become the best at it. Some are naturally gifted, but the majority just worked harder than the rest.

You can determine what you want in your life. Those that complain about others are going to be unhappy no matter what. You could give them a house and they'd wonder why the guy next door has a bigger one.

Jealousy is pathetic. What someone else does or doesn't make shouldn't concern you. People should worry about themselves.

While I agree with a lot of what you say, and disagree with some points, I must point out that you are wrong when you say that some pro athletes are naturally gifted, but the majority just work harder than the rest.

ALL professional athletes are so much more gifted than the rest of us that it is not funny. While there are a few supergenetic freaks who make it largely on talent, it is true also that the vast majority of NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB players, as well as Olympians, etc., work so much harder than most people that it is frightening. These people are all driven, supremely confident and passionate. They are also so much more talented than 99% of us. Even the worst, most low-level scrub in pro sports is so superior to most of us in every basic measure of athletic ability.

Whatever these people can get, they deserve. Even the worst scrub on the worst team in the league.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:08 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,742,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
While I agree with a lot of what you say, and disagree with some points, I must point out that you are wrong when you say that some pro athletes are naturally gifted, but the majority just work harder than the rest.

ALL professional athletes are so much more gifted than the rest of us that it is not funny. While there are a few supergenetic freaks who make it largely on talent, it is true also that the vast majority of NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB players, as well as Olympians, etc., work so much harder than most people that it is frightening. These people are all driven, supremely confident and passionate. They are also so much more talented than 99% of us. Even the worst, most low-level scrub in pro sports is so superior to most of us in every basic measure of athletic ability.

Whatever these people can get, they deserve. Even the worst scrub on the worst team in the league.
your kidding me right!!! you got to be joking thanks for the laugh.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:11 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,678,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
your kidding me right!!! you got to be joking thanks for the laugh.

What's so funny? Did I say something wrong?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:40 PM

784 posts, read 2,731,221 times
I cannot believe this is actually being debated.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND determine athletes' salaries. Don't like them being paid so much? Stop buying tickets and team memorabilia.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:20 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,778,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yeah, how many people would show up to watch a scientist work?
Nerds make way more than athletes. Bill Gates makes as much as every NFL player combined.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:22 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,453,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
I cannot believe this is actually being debated.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND determine athletes' salaries. Don't like them being paid so much? Stop buying tickets and team memorabilia.
Absolutely right. WE enable owners to pay their salaries by buying tickets. I thought salaries for athletes reached ridiculous levels years ago, and I stopped going to professional football & basketball games. I confess to watching football on TV (more college than pro), but I don't watch pro basketball until the playoffs ... that's when they start playing like it means something, anyway.

Much like supermarket check-out line rags, "reality" TV, and what passes as journalism on TV these days, WE determine the outcome. If we didn't buy into these big time, things would change.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:50 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,554,725 times
I think they get paid way too much money. But instead of griping about it, I simply don't buy tickets to their games nor do I buy their merchandise. That's my personal choice. I do agree that they deserve to be paid quite a bit of money for several reasons. First off, they work all year long. To stay competitive, they must train year round, even in the off season. They don't train, they could get benched or cut resulting in loss of pay. Secondly, the injury rate is very high in their line of work. Who could ever forget the career ending injury of quarterback Joe Theisman. Even though most injuries aren't career ending, they can easily end the entire season of play for the player. Then there's the matter of what happens to their body when they leave the sport. The running back for the Pittsburg Steelers (can't remember his name) recently retired because it was getting harder and harder for his body to get moving. Many former football players can barely walk when once they flew across the field. I wish these young pro-atheletes would seek help from a financial planner before buying multiple homes and vehicles for themselves and their family. If they lived within their means while putting aside a large chunk of their income away in long term investments then they can be set for life. But such decisions should have started while they were playing in college. They should have studied hard for an earned degree in a career field just in case they don't go pro and even if they do go pro and their career is ended early, they'll still have the degree and career to fall back on. Instead we still have some college graduates playing pro-sports who cannot read.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:55 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,717,269 times
I don't pay them anything. I haven't been to a game in years, I hardly watch sports on Television and certainly no Sports Packages, Their gear is too expensive to buy. They can pay them what ever they want, my choice is to skip it.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,784,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
It is ridiculous what these professional athletes get paid. Interestingly enough, the liberals who complain about CEO salaries are strangly mum about this topic.
I am not mum about it. The pay is out of control. That is why you cannot afford to take the family to a game anymore. It is all corporate now. Rip out the family seats and put in skyboxes. The rich entertain the rich. Tax the hell outta them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies