Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 11:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

No. Conservatives often get the "helper" attitude ingrained into them from their silly Protestant churches and Catholic Churches. If you just pray hard enough everything will be wonderful and amazing: they take their silly whimsical ideas with them into the field of mental health and demand absolute obedience in the style of Calvinism and almost demand "involuntary servitude" from their clients. It's disgusting what the mental health field actually does: plenty of undue influence and manufactured "mental illness".

I have a degree in this: I've worked with all of these morons and it's scary how they are really subjugating most of their clients with their bs theories and guilt-tripping methods rather than empowering, training, and motivating. And if they do "train" it's a one size fits all method. It's sickening. This is why our country is socially decayed. Our society literally bickers over whether two consenting adults of the same gender can have sex or get married. It's pitiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I would think it would be damn near impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 11:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
What I am exploring in this question is this: Social Work is about helping people. I view both Liberal and Conservative ideological viewpoints as wanting to help, but they just go about it differently. For example, I know that Conservatives tend to believe in social welfare, but they'd rather have private and religious organizations do it rather than the government. To go along with this, I wonder if some some see Capitalism and Trickle Down Economics as beneficial to social welfare.
Social welfare is all about being dependent and has zero to do with Capitalism or Economics.
Conservatives have no problem having long term safety nets for massively disabled people, the rest deserve only SHORT term safety nets if proved they are really needed.
Hell yes report fraud and drug test those on welfare in most cases.

The problem we've grown in the last couple of decades is that for some reason some expect government to take care of you like daddy. For the most part people take the easiest path in life. If you hand them a voucher for housing, money for support and EBT for food they will elongate not working in many cases or may NEVER work.

Why disable people with long term social programs? There should be an emphases on going back to work and supporting themselves.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:23 PM

Honey, you have to get hired before you can work. Do you think these disabled people love living in third world type conditions with no car, no vacations, no fancy dinners, no nice clothing, etc? If they do work part-time: do you think they enjoy working themselves to the bone at Wal-Mart? And then going home to their run down trailer? You are depicting a scenario that doesn't reflect reality. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

The problem we've grown in the last couple of decades is that for some reason some expect government to take care of you like daddy. For the most part people take the easiest path in life. If you hand them a voucher for housing, money for support and EBT for food they will elongate not working in many cases or may NEVER work.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:09 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Conservatives as well as liberals are very biased against people of color and homosexuals. I think it's a national problem: cultural hegemony. And most social workers will not even touch cultural hegemony and social stratification with a ten foot pole because they don't want to knock themselves off their amazing pedestals "social workers who get to look down on the groveling little people, gays, disabled, and people of color".
Wha??

You should probably refrain from comment on this topic, since after reading this post, it's obvious that you a) have a chip on your shoulder and b) know NOTHING about social welfare and how the system functions from a social work standpoint.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:16 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
No. Conservatives often get the "helper" attitude ingrained into them from their silly Protestant churches and Catholic Churches. If you just pray hard enough everything will be wonderful and amazing: they take their silly whimsical ideas with them into the field of mental health and demand absolute obedience in the style of Calvinism and almost demand "involuntary servitude" from their clients. It's disgusting what the mental health field actually does: plenty of undue influence and manufactured "mental illness".

I have a degree in this: I've worked with all of these morons and it's scary how they are really subjugating most of their clients with their bs theories and guilt-tripping methods rather than empowering, training, and motivating. And if they do "train" it's a one size fits all method. It's sickening. This is why our country is socially decayed. Our society literally bickers over whether two consenting adults of the same gender can have sex or get married. It's pitiful.
I see, now it's silly that a Christian decides to follow Jesus and help others as a career path. Oh, my.

Btw, there are morons in every field but the fact that you believe everyone else in the field is a moron is quite telling. You have no credibility if all you want to do is bash the entire field and its workers.

Will you ever stop ranting about how "wronged" you have been as a homosexual? You are personalizing and projecting on yet another topic and it's really getting old. I think you are the one who could use some social services, I'm sorry to say.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:53 PM

I'm not a "homosexual". I'm an independent person of free-will. I don't go by hateful stigmatizing labels. However, I will acknowledge that according to my academic research and formal education in the mental health field most social worker and mental health theories do not acknowledge the hate-mongering and biases that are embedded into social norms (hegemony, Christianity, etc.) If someone comes in wanting to talk about how they are an atheist and it's a hard life being an atheist in the bible belt: the christian conservative social worker is more likely to say "It's hard too for everyone. Get over yourself" in so many insinuations rather than trying to understand and empower the so-called atheist. I'm only speaking the truth and trying to motivate people with wisdom rather than take away their power which is what a lot if not most social workers actually do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I see, now it's silly that a Christian decides to follow Jesus and help others as a career path. Oh, my.

Btw, there are morons in every field but the fact that you believe everyone else in the field is a moron is quite telling. You have no credibility if all you want to do is bash the entire field and its workers.

Will you ever stop ranting about how "wronged" you have been as a homosexual? You are personalizing and projecting on yet another topic and it's really getting old. I think you are the one who could use some social services, I'm sorry to say.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,392 times
I am currently working on obtaining my MSW and most of my teachers make me feel like I would not do an adequate job with my current ideals. I started a yahoo group for people to discuss ideas, issues, experiences, and literature on the subject!
Please join and pass on to others who would enjoy discussing the topic. Thanks for looking!

Click to join ConservatismInSocialWork

Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,124 times
I, too, am a conservative social worker who ascribes to the belief that instead of merely giving a person a fish to eat, we should teach him how to fish. I just quit NASW after learning of their totally mindless position supporting Occupy Wall Street.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
if wanting people to be gainfully employed contributing members of society, off drugs and booze and responsible for their kids, i would say most social workers are conservative.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:24 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Not surprisingly, people who identify themselves as religious give far more money to charitable organizations than those who identify as non-religious. Self-identification as religious is positively correlated with political conservatism, so those that are politically conservative (or Republican, can't remember) have been found to give more than those that are politically liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies