Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 01:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times

Advertisements

How do you respond to Deuteronomy 17 verses 7,8 & 11??

If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother,
but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be

^ I'd guess basic health care would be a 'need'
For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, 'You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.'

^ So much for the "let them get an education and get out of poverty" argument. God says there will ALWAYS be poor people and that His people (whether Jews or Christians) must provide for them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 01:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
This will be a short lived thread. It's amazing how the Christian critics seem to disappear like Jesus's disciples at the trial of their savior when it comes to defending their bible.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:45 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
I am not a religous person, but there is nothing in that verse that states we should give our money to the goverment so they can distribute it as they see fit to help people. I would strongly argue "charity" is the key word they were shooting for. Churches, whether you like them or not, are undeniably charitable. Most donate through those churches to help provide for the less fortunate. I would assume that a church-goer would have more say in holding the church accountable for properly administering their charitable actions than a US citizen has in holding our government accountable in their "charitable" actions.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:49 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This will be a short lived thread. It's amazing how the Christian critics seem to disappear like Jesus's disciples at the trial of their savior when it comes to defending their bible.
Republicans are like zombies,
blindly folllowing their leaders and anybody that questions anything is "an enemy".

Any type of criticism towards republicans is considered "an attack" or "crazy talk that should be ignored".

Old 11-25-2009, 01:50 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I am not a religous person, but there is nothing in that verse that states we should give our money to the goverment so they can distribute it as they see fit to help people. I would strongly argue "charity" is the key word they were shooting for. Churches, whether you like them or not, are undeniably charitable. Most donate through those churches to help provide for the less fortunate. I would assume that a church-goer would have more say in holding the church accountable for properly administering their charitable actions than a US citizen has in holding our government accountable in their "charitable" actions.
Well said. I'm not particularly religous either, but I don't see a contradiction. Being against universal helathcare does not mean you don't want to look out for the poor. For most, they just don't like that method. I don't know of any part of The Bible that says we must give to government for them to give to the poor.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I am not a religous person, but there is nothing in that verse that states we should give our money to the goverment so they can distribute it as they see fit to help people. I would strongly argue "charity" is the key word they were shooting for. Churches, whether you like them or not, are undeniably charitable.
I would agree with you if there weren't church leaders that are millionaires
I doubt that's God's definition of "charitable".

Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Republicans are like zombies,
blindly folllowing their leaders and anybody that questions anything is "an enemy".

Any type of criticism towards republicans is considered "an attack" or "crazy talk that should be ignored".
The same argument can be made against liberals, or followers of Miley Cyrus, or watchers of American Idol. Until the majority of people can truly become independant thinkers, those that already are will be forced to adhere to whims of the two flocks.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't know of any part of The Bible that says we must give to government for them to give to the poor.
Jesus told us to always pay our taxes, no matter how high they are.
We make the government a more "Christian" government if we ask the government to help the poor (as the Bible says)

Luke 20:20-26 - BibleGateway.com
Paying Taxes to Caesar

20 Keeping a close watch on him, they sent spies, who pretended to be honest. They hoped to catch Jesus in something he said so that they might hand him over to the power and authority of the governor.
21 So the spies questioned him: "Teacher, we know that you speak and teach what is right, and that you do not show partiality but teach the way of God in accordance with the truth.
22 Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"
23 He saw through their duplicity and said to them,
24 "Show me a denarius. Whose portrait and inscription are on it?"
25 "Caesar's," they replied.
He said to them, "Then give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."
26 They were unable to trap him in what he had said there in public. And astonished by his answer, they became silent.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:59 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Those verses say nothing about giving money to a church or charitable organization, either.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I would agree with you if there weren't church leaders that are millionaires
I doubt that's God's definition of "charitable".
I agree with that 100%. Any entity that gets to be larger than life (like a very large church, or government) tends to be wrought with corruption. It is still easier to hold even a very large church accountable than the feds though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies