Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:09 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Actually Bush didn't steal Florida in 2000. The Supreme Court, or rather the 5 Republican members, decided the U.S. Constitution position on the right to vote, and have it counted, did not really mean anything. I suspect history would be much different, had Gore been "allowed" to take office. For one, we would not be in Iraq without full U.N. backing. We would have gone into Afghanistan, but would not have to have waited 6-7 years to determine why, and very probably have been out of there by now. We would have a Health reform package and be actively involved in continuing improvements. We would be well on the way toward developing the industries of the future, thus insuring our economic viability for coming generations. Probably many other things I am too tired to think about now. But, other than that, it would be just the same-o same-o.
Wow! did you find a loose bale of weed on the beach down there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 05:21 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
This much I can tell you about the election of 2000 and Florida: my parents were living in Palm Beach County at the time (you remember Palm Beach County: that was where the ubiquitous "chads" made their appearance on the national stage).

Two months after the election, when all the votes were counted up nice and quietly, it turned out that Al Gore had won. This was generally not given a lot of publicity. But had Gore not conceded, the Floridian electoral votes added to his column--and, simultaneously, subtracted from Bush--would have given him the election.

By rights, George W. Bush was not elected President in 2000. But, as we say in my corner of the land, waddaya gonna do? You can't turn back the clock.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:22 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Pure speculation. I cannot stand the "what if" game.

People, people, let it go, let's move on.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
You'd have 5 extra years to live. As it sits your extreme obsession has cost you a lot of your healthy life due to stress.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:26 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,336 times
Quote:
At no time did Al Gore lead in Florida. He lost. Unfortunately the fat windbag had to have the SCOTUS tell him to his face he's a ****ing loser. Again, Al Gore never lead at any time in Florida.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:36 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
What would have happened if Bush didn't steal Florida in 2000?

Read the full story at: Gore 2000: Gore as President - An Alternate History - Newsweek 2010
Oh! I remember these books! I loved them as a kid!

I'd read the Newsweek article, but I pretty much stick to nonfiction these days, and I don't think Newsweek publishes any of that anymore...

Old 12-02-2009, 05:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
a miami paer actaully recounted the vote and Bush still won of with the chad, Of course the next year the democrats were complaing about the electronic system.liked the punch card system but then some are too stupid to do it.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:52 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
I didn't like the Bush presidency but believe that he won Florida fair and square. No matter how you count it or slice it Gore would not have gone over the top. Hanging chads and butterfly ballots worked against Gore but it wasn't part of a master plot against him.
The Dems screwed up by only asking for recounts in districts that favored them. Instead of being politically calculating they should have taken the high road and gone for a recount in the whole state. They didn't care about the real vote just the votes that favored them.

Gore lost the election because he screwed up a big lead by refusing Clinton's help, making that stupid forced kiss, and being a wooden number spewing policy wonk. The election was his lose and he did. Idiot. No way victory should have come down to and hinged on votes in one city in one state.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
we would still have 50 states instead of 49. i think the big flag makers were behind it.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:58 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
There were a few studies on the issue. Conflicting opinions as to who would have won. We will never know, thus the continuing controversy. Either way, it is acedemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies