Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?
Yes, for murder as well as other serious crimes (such as rape) 53 36.55%
Yes, but only for convicted murderers 40 27.59%
No, I instead support life imprisonment 52 35.86%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:14 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
And if you do kill we move on to an eye for an eye.
well said, a mideastern concept, an imperfect system i agree, but much better than "do you really wana hurt me", sing it boy george
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:02 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,497,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
God has set the standard. He says, death. I wouldn't argue with what God has established. But you can take it up with Him if you like.
Bugger your God. Nobody but you cares what voices some hallucinating goat-herders thought they were hearing 3500 years ago. People on both sides of the DP argument have better things than that to offer.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
We have a hell of alot more people than those countries do so it stands to reason we have more violent crime.
Do you understand the concept of "rate" or "ratio" at all?

Quote:
God forbid I am ever murdered I hope the person who did it is executed, preferrably in a state that has one of the painful and terrifying methods like the Electric Chair or Gas Chamber.
Not sure if you realize this--and btw I am not totally anti-death penalty--but one day you will be dead, just as dead as if someone murdered you. You might fully understand this, but a lot of people seem not to.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,951,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Life in prison is cheaper and I am against the death penalty.

Hypocritical, I know, but I would kill anyone who harmed a child or murdered an innocent person. With my bare hands. Or my S&W. But I don't think the government should play a role in killing. The government has been wrong many times and even when they have been right, the cost for the required appeals outweighs the benefit to society, IMO. I'd rather that the perp be forced to live his/her life out incarcerated, with a photo of their victim on the wall of their very small cell and a slippery bar of soap to take to the shower.
That pretty much sums it up for me. Having a last meal, the right to see visitors to say goodbye, clergy to ask for forgiveness and then being put to sleep with a simple injection is far too neat and easy. Death will not be nearly that pain-free or well planned for the rest of us. Why should they get off so easily? Let them continue to live miserably and without purpose.

The real kicker is there are so many fine people who are experiencing pain and indignity we can't yet fully imagine with cancer, etc... who would consider an injection that ended their hell on Earth to be a blessing and the ultimate act of mercy but we won't let them choose to end their suffering.

I've never been able to come to terms with that paradox.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,553,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike peterson View Post
and if you do kill we move on to an eye for an eye.
wwjd?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,938,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
A prison is a form of luxury now? Is that the excuse to kill off people who made a horrific action they can never take back. Do you honestly think every murderer that is sent to prison goes in without a care in the world? There's people who go in there bringing nothing but remorse.. believe it or not. People go in begging for forgiveness towards people who want them dead.
Tv, sex, and drugs don't clean a conscious. You have to think of how many people who are sentenced for life in prison because of murderers who had no idea what they were thinking (drugs and alcohol... a lot of it legal). More than half of the suffering is being haunted by their own action.

Besides, what's a little activity scheduled going to do for those people? Is it going to set them free from prison so they can do it whenever they want? No freedom or public eye does a damper on people.

But it's funny; That you think that just because your a murderer means your a tough guy. Non-muderers also abuse prisoners, so if you get sent into prison for a petty crime then deal with the conciequences and try not to end up there again... now think of the murderers who get sent there and end up being abused FOR LIFE, but I guess that's a form of luxery too.. i guess

Because the majority of people are terrified of death.
These murderers have no access with society to ever kill or interact with people outside of prison again. They are already dead in terms of physically not being in society. Why are people so eager for these people to be literally dead? It solves nothing! It still leaves behind an eteranl memory of the trajic incident. The only reason I can see execution acceptable is if revenge was moral.

Killing a murderer is still murder if you ask me. The term "Lawfully killing" is just an excuse to brainwash people into thinking murdering the murderer is not murdering.

The murder victim could also be straight up scum. So wouldn't this act be ok to let happen since people on death row are being killed for being scum anyway?
Violence isn't the answer.

Your acting like I'm against both life in prison and the death penalty. In no way am I saying that murderers don't deserve life in prison... Get it through your head and stop attempting to state clever, pointless analogies.

Selfish society wants murderous strangers to be killed because they're too stuborn to face it that killing the murderer won't end the next lifetime of murders.

You can't possibly just sit there and say that every murderer is the same, and every murderer isn't suffering the consiquences emotionally. People murder after legally drinking way too much without realizing their actions.. why not ban alcohol to cut murders! That would really make a dent on lowering murder rates since execution isn't doing much... Basically, at this rate their will never be peace.

Go hug a thug jeesh.

Murderers deserve ZERO compassion. I hope each and every one of them is tortured by guilt and remorse daily. Perhaps then there is at least some hope for their souls.

Sadly, I doubt this is the case. The vast majority of murderers have no remorse, would commit the same crimes again and are only upset they got caught. The are predators, pure and simple. Kill them.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:12 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,300,074 times
Supreme Court won't block 1st US 1-drug execution

LUCASVILLE, Ohio (AP) - The U.S. Supreme Court has refused to block the execution of an Ohio condemned killer who would become the first person in the U.S. to die by lethal injection with a single drug rather than a three-drug method.

KTAR.com - Supreme Court won't block 1st US 1-drug execution

Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,938,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Supreme Court won't block 1st US 1-drug execution

LUCASVILLE, Ohio (AP) - The U.S. Supreme Court has refused to block the execution of an Ohio condemned killer who would become the first person in the U.S. to die by lethal injection with a single drug rather than a three-drug method.

KTAR.com - Supreme Court won't block 1st US 1-drug execution
Adios dirtbag!

Old 12-08-2009, 01:23 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,492,982 times
Capital Penalty is the mother of all issues... ( I don't like the use of the word death,it is depressing as a subject...)

So many arguments,in favour or against it...

I try to compose the contradictory opinions ,from the right & the left,into a centrist compromise...

A mixed system,with the Penalty for capital murder & only for that type of murder
& life without parole for capital murder with mitigating circumstances
& for murder in the 1st degree.

No death penalty,if the criminal did not cause death directly.
I am negatively surprised by how many forumers want the Penalty for rape,drugs etc...
We should also understand that in countries without the Penalty,the life without pariole has also gone down the drain,either formally ( Germany,Mexico) or informally.

We should not accept one extreme ( Penalty ,even for rape or drugs ,as in Saudi Arabia)
or the other ( no Penalty at all,for all circumstances, as in Europe)

Therefore,,the Penalty must be reinstated in all states.
The prohibition of it,for all circumstances is irrational & undemocratic.
The 65% -75% ( for terrorists) of supporters & 25% to 35% of opponents must reach common ground,in a mixed system,with the Penalty & with LWOP.

On the issue of justice,we can share the power...

It is a matter of democracy & common sence...

Old 12-09-2009, 12:24 AM

harry, you didn't mention that we have a federal system in which states are autonomous and write their own laws. Your scheme would require a wholesale scrapping of the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies