Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 03:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
unemployment rose by another 11,000. that is still more people losing their jobs at the height of the holiday shopping season. that is nothing to shout about for those people who are still losing jobs.

what you need to understand is that republicans WANT to see the economy recover. show me one republican who wants to pay for another round of stimulus to prop up a failing economy! we want to hear good news!
thanks, I mentioned that to hubby this morning; how is that good news? As for the holiday spending, Kev would love to see Republicans shaking over this, I think it is wonderful. I am glad people feel they can afford a better holiday than last year...

Yes, there are still people losing their jobs. AR is one of the better states and we had a big lay off yesterday..

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 03:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The government has said the recession is over. Yesterday they said unemployment is bottoming out.
Go forth and spend, spend, spend.

My family decided years ago it was getting out of hand and we only give gifts to the kids under 18.
We've gone back to a more traditional type Christmas...family, dinner, conversation and some good classic movies (Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, How the Grinch stole Christmas)
It's so much more relaxing too..no stress, no fuss, no "gotta spend and buy".
That's your choise. You cling to your pennies and let the rest of us enjoy the joy of giving.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's your choise. You cling to your pennies and let the rest of us enjoy the joy of giving.
No one is stopping you..stores are open 24/7 just for your shopping pleasure.

To each his own to define "the joy of giving".

Old 12-05-2009, 03:47 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,931,188 times
the one thing i would like to add is about the unemployment numbers. i wish that the government was being honest with its citizens, because we do have a right to know how the situation is. people make important decisions based on facts and they deserve nothing but facts.

this is interesting:Did Weekly Jobless Claims Really Fall Below 500k? -- Seeking Alpha

There are these nasty little details of where the unemployed are being stuffed ... too inconvenient to talk about on mainstream news sources, because it might put you in a dour mood. You see, as the weekly claims figure has dropped from 462,000 Americans last week to 457,000 this week (green shoots, a 5000 person drop!) the (hidden in dark corners where only mushrooms grow) Emergency Unemployment Compensation exploded up by 265,000 Americans. Yes you heard me, over a quarter million people... IN A WEEK. Shhhh... not so loud.

as well:
For more fun and games, head over to FTAlphaville to see how TrimTabs is absolutely mocking the US Bureau of Labor Distortion Analysis, in terms of accuracy. TrimTabs Investment Research estimates that the U.S. economy shed 255,000 jobs in November, the fifteenth consecutive month job losses exceeded 250,000.

That's not what our government says, TrimTabs.

In a research note, TrimTabs explained that wages and salaries are continuing to drop sequentially. TrimTabs estimates based on daily income tax deposits that wages and salaries fell 4.6% year-over-year in October and 5.3% year-over-year in November.

That's not what our government says either - they say wages are flat to growing slightly. Someone's pulling a fast one here.

TrimTabs’ employment estimates are based on analysis of daily income tax deposits to the U.S. Treasury from all salaried U.S. employees. Historically, TrimTabs’ estimates have been more accurate than the initial estimates of the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:49 PM

27,218 posts, read 46,799,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Just when you thought it would get no worse for Republicans. Not only is unemployment DOWN but holiday spending is UP- way up- over last year! That is really bad news for the GOP. The Obama recovery is finally taking hold and people are becoming optimistic about the future.

Black Friday Boasts $595 Million in U.S. Online Holiday Spending, Up 11 Percent Versus Year Ago - comScore, Inc
Wow...you are really hoping for the Rep. to feel awful instead of feeling happy if this was true...

All I read on other websites was that more people went shopping on Black Friday but less was spent per person...and as far as I noticed being out there my self, I believe it was true....I never ever saw people returning stuff at 5 am in the morning and now we had to wait very long in line due to returns...

You probably forgot that in November stores are starting to hire seasonal employees so they can let them go by January....

UPS is hiring 50,000 workers just for the Holliday season...that is just for a few weeks....

The other thing is that Republicans are more realistic and not out there to hear bad numbers....we rather have better numbers and make more money since we are not spreading other peoples wealth and love free markets something that Dem. don't seem to like so much!

Old 12-05-2009, 03:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the one thing i would like to add about the unemployment numbers. i wish that the government was being honest with its citizens, because we do have a right to know how the situation is. people make decisions based on facts and they deserve facts.

this is interesting:Did Weekly Jobless Claims Really Fall Below 500k? -- Seeking Alpha

People don't want facts..they want candy coated fluffy stories about how everything is ok because the government said so.

They are more concerned about Tiger Woods than how many are unemployed and how the shelters are overflowing with homeless who cannot get out of the cold.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
That's strange news. I've cut back. Am I the only one who doesn't have $$$ to spend on gifts?
Yes, its only you that doesnt have money to spend. YOU brought down the economy all by yourself..

Old 12-05-2009, 04:27 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,260,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are more concerned about Tiger Woods than how many are unemployed and how the shelters are overflowing with homeless who cannot get out of the cold.
HT, I have to disagree. Everyone I've talked to doesn't really care about Tiger. You know that saying here in TX "He done F*ed Up" pretty much applies to Tiger. Just the media cares and needs more headlines.

But relating Tiger to this spending thread.... If Tiger had bought a few dozen hookers and not had his girlfriends I'd bet Holiday spending would have been up 12% not 11% and there would have been no voice mails left on phones.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:39 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,315,110 times
We Republicans are the greedy corporation owners, and you thing we are mad because our sales are up?

Old 12-05-2009, 06:04 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,238,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes, its only you that doesnt have money to spend. YOU brought down the economy all by yourself..
I was thinking the same thing. I got that stimulus money you know. Didn't know that would take the water outa the toilet though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies