Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 06:49 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I do find it amusing that the GOP rallies tirelessly against abortion and also those who want to adopt the children.

Is it any surprise though really?
Don't forget birth control too. Many conservatives want pharmacists to be able to deny legal birth control to women. (ie: Mr. Pharmacist is Catholic and doesn't think Jane customer should be on the pill, or Mr/ Mrs. Pharmacist doesn't think single women should get birth control at all)

In many small towns, there are not several pharmacies to choose from, so this could present a real problem. Do you really think this poor woman's husband is going to understand when she tells him "no sex" because the man at the pharmacy wouldn't fill her prescription?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 06:49 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Between A man and woman?

Society defined that? What about when marriage was between a man and several women? People accepted that. Marriage was redefined. If people can accept different kinds then I don't see what is wrong with a man marrying a man.
Polygamy was rejected in this country long ago....ie...it wasn't accepted (small illegal communions aside)

If that's the kid of lifestyle you seek than I suggest you catch a plane to some third world country where it's still practiced...otherwise

it's time to play catch up.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
In response to JBrown's post:

1. Learn how to use the "Quote" button correctly, please. It makes it much easier for everyone to read your posts.

2. Basic sociology: The laws of the land do have a great effect on how we see ourselves and how we relate to one another. It's important for the government to value relationships equally, especially when there's no valid reason not to.

3. I'm sorry, but I can't relate to the mean-spirited opinions you expressed. Very mean-spirited, really.

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Polygamy was rejected in this country long ago....ie...it wasn't accepted

If that's the kid of lifestyle you seek than I suggest you catch a plane to some third world country where it's still practiced...otherwise

it's time to play catch up.

Ah yes. The typical conservative response.

"Quit your job" or "leave the country".

Sorry, you have no answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Don't forget birth control too. Many conservatives want pharmacists to be able to deny legal birth control to women. (ie: Mr. Pharmacist is Catholic and doesn't think Jane customer should be on the pill, or Mr/ Mrs. Pharmacist doesn't think single women should get birth control at all)

In many small towns, there are not several pharmacies to choose from, so this could present a real problem. Do you really think this poor woman's husband is going to understand when she tells him "no sex" because the man at the pharmacy wouldn't fill her prescription?
They are idiots. The people who will not fill up prescriptions should be HAPPY that these women are at least being responsible! Lowers the chance of abortion.

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Not everyone has to be favor of gay marriage, you know. It seems as if activists just aren't willing to even entertain another opinion.
Activists have been entertaining other opinions for years because the other opinions are on the side of the legislation at the moment.

Quote:
Everyone must embrace these alternative lifestyles or face condemnation and ridicule. Well, I will not.
How will gay marriage affect you personally?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I believe marriage is between a man and a woman as it has been defined by society for centuries on end.
So, because you believe it's always been a certain way, it should remain so? Should women have continued to be seen as the property of their husbands? Should blacks have remained slaves? I'm not scared of change; I don't know why you are.

Quote:
Not everyone has to be favor of gay marriage, you know.
I realize that. To those who are not in favor of same-sex marriage, I say: Don't marry someone of the same sex. It's simple.

292 posts, read 544,020 times
Marriage is only supposed to be between a man and a woman.

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
So all gays are young and male? hmmm news to me. and yes many homosexual relationships involve children. Do you want to complain about children being in a loving household?
No, if gay couples are raising children then they deserve all the help and assistance we can give them, no different then the benefits accorded to any couple that adopts a child.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
Marriage is only supposed to be between a man and a woman.
Things change.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:59 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So, because you believe it's always been a certain way, it should remain so? Should women have continued to be seen as the property of their husbands? Should blacks have remained slaves? I'm not scared of change; I don't know why you are.

I realize that. To those who are not in favor of same-sex marriage, I say: Don't marry someone of the same sex. It's simple.
Not because it has always been, but because this is what I believe is right. Again, not everyone has to have the same oh-so "progressive" values of ultra-liberal activists. I can't comment on issues of feminism/sexism or slavery as I was not alive in a time when it a major issue, so I have no idea what I would feel, and neither do you.

Honestly, I'm not going to go rally in Washington D.C. against gay marriage or find local homosexuals to harass, but as I've said many times, if it came down to a popular vote, have no question what side I'd vote on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies