Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,868,900 times

Advertisements

So does it? Especially if you are a white American in you own country?

Someone brought the word up on the Politics forum and it got me wondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 AM

53 posts, read 57,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

Doesn't bother me one bit. If someone uses that as an attempt at ruffling my feathers, then I know what kind of a person they are. But it doesn't bother me. People get far too upset over words anymore.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:20 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,110,918 times
It depends on how the word is used. I live in Austin, Texas, so I'm around mexicans a lot. If it's one of mis amigos who says it, kiddingly to me, with a grin, I take no offense. I DO get a bit perturbed if, however, it's some illegal alien (we call 'em "exchange students" down here) who is ticked-off at me because, maybe I didn'y understand his rapid-fire spanish, or I, with my three itms in the express line at the store, cut in front of him and his family of eight with 17 items.
But I've always gotten along pretty well with the Mexicans, and in fact enjoy speaking spanish and am pretty proficient with it. And if I ever find myself getting a little frustrated with the sheer propensity of them down here, and with getting called a pinche gringo once in awhile, I just remind myself that I'm living in what was once northeastern Mexico, before we took it away from them in that famous Yankee landgrab that was called the Mexican-American War in 1846.
Paz, hombres.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:23 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,868,900 times
Just wondering, because it was my understanding when I travelled in America de sur that it wasn't meant to be derrogatory; it just meant a white guy that wasn't from there. There was a nickname for everyone it seemed, and it fit right in. Nobody one got all uppity when they were called a Mestizo, or Indio, or chino, ect, as none of them were intended as insults.

Back in the USA though, some latinos seem to throw it around in a very derrogatory way, right along with all the other choice racial slurs. So why the double standard?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:10 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,285,838 times
Quote:

I like it. It kind of reminds me of old western movies staring Clint Eastwood.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:17 PM

431 posts, read 2,128,061 times
I'm Hispanic and they call me Gringa if I go visit a Latin American country because I'm "American." So it's not so much a racial term, more like a term of endearment (ha, ha) to describe an American person.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:09 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,333,599 times
Quote:

I'm going to quote something my dad told me once.

"There are going to be so many things in life that will p--s you off that you could spend your whole life trying to stop them."

So to clarify within a better context: to an extend I hold this philosophy because it really is this way. We really could spend our entire lives fighting the things that we don't like, confronting the people that say things things about us. I guess it's really just picking your battles. But this being said, I do think it's pretty interesting to think of. How many names like this can you think up for any given minority. Of course I mean just think them out, please don't actually post such a list.

Now how many names like this can we think up for white people? I hate to be the "your own medicine type" But I think it's good for white people to see this kind of thing aimed toward them. It is sad that there will be many people who won't deserve to taste this proverbial medicine but nonetheless at least some of the white people who still breed this mentality have that "mile in another's shoes" experience. For the most part white people minimalize, trivialize and grossly underestimate the nature of this kind of thing.

I guess where I am going with all this is that I hate to see a situation where there's just another name to label a group with because it's just the same problem with a different face. But the cynical wise-guy kind of likes to see the top dog learning about repercussions, reactions and consequences the hard way. Like all forms of discomfort: the right amount of it keeps people in reality.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,238,886 times
The term gringo is actually becoming a bit passe these days, and does not seem to be used quite as much as in years past. The more up to date term that many of the reconquista illegal alien crowd tosses at white Americans is "Gabacho",and is often used in an insulting manner. I do resent being addressed in this manner in my own country by these criminals and usually respond with "pinche mojado" or some other nasty slur in Spanish, unless it was delivered in a friendly non threatening way, in which case will ignore it and let it slide.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
I do resent being addressed in this manner in my own country by these criminals

The origin of Gabacho dated back to the 16th century, when Catalan speakers in northern Spain used Gavatx to refer to mountain folk who spoke the language with an accent.

People will always have a genaral term for "foreigners", and how offended foreigners become is the yardstick by which the offensiveness of th word is measured. The angrier the foreigners become, when called a foregner, the more fun it is to call them that.

[MOD CUT/innapropriate]

If your default aggregation of all hispanic-accented bystanders is to call them "criminals" until they prove their immigration status, you deserve everything they call you. I've been called Gringo by people whose ancestors were "in my own country" before mine were.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-10-2009 at 03:59 PM..

Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 AM

10,184 posts, read 20,825,841 times
Never bothered me, not when I was in South America or in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies