Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,863,210 times

Advertisements

im tired of being censored because someone has a hardon for me...

the term gringo is, as far as i know, meant to denote a caucasian while visiting in a spanish-speaking country, if a latin person wants to call me gringo here, go ahead, it proves their ignorance, or if it is done in jest, then they had better be willing and able to take a little poking back

i used to deal with A LOT of mexicans and cubans in my old territory selling tools, i did extremely well there because i was the gringo that they couldnt ruffle, gringo loco at times, and they were all my ****'s... we got along great as long as they all understood it was all in fun, and they did...

what can you possibly call me that would offend me to the point of whining about it? nothing, unless you leveled false claims against me, that's a different story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:09 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,547,135 times
Doesn't bother me in the least.

I had heard it, responded to it and never knew it could be used as an insult until a couple years ago.

This falls under "don't sweat the small stuff" category in my life.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:52 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,686,058 times
Doesn't bother me in the least. I am originally from Miami and grew up being called a gringa so I guess I just got used to it.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:42 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,317,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
So does it? Especially if you are a white American in you own country?
Depends on their intent.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:08 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,693,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
So does it? Especially if you are a white American in you own country?

Someone brought the word up on the Politics forum and it got me wondering...
The term Gringo doesn't particularly bother me provided I don't also hear words like, "mucho" & "stupido" in the same sentence - or see somebody spitting in my Enchilada Platter before they bring it out to my table.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,693,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
im tired of being censored because someone has a hardon for me...

Yeah, like THAT happens all the time!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:32 PM

78,499 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Depends how it's said and the meaning of words vary all over even from one spanish country to another.

For example, in the US "Chi Chi's" is a chain restaurant and in SOME spanish speaking countries it's slang for "boobs".

Old 12-15-2009, 03:20 PM

23 posts, read 33,682 times
I've been called many things, it's all good. Just don't call me late for dinner.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:55 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,543,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've been called Gringo by people whose ancestors were "in my own country" before mine were.
Me too. I married into a Hispanic/Native American family. I've been called both "Gringo" and "mi hita." And like a previous poster said, as long as they don't call me late for dinner . . . especially if they're cooking.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
It depends on how the word is used. I live in Austin, Texas, so I'm around mexicans a lot. If it's one of mis amigos who says it, kiddingly to me, with a grin, I take no offense. I DO get a bit perturbed if, however, it's some illegal alien (we call 'em "exchange students" down here) who is ticked-off at me because, maybe I didn'y understand his rapid-fire spanish, or I, with my three itms in the express line at the store, cut in front of him and his family of eight with 17 items.
But I've always gotten along pretty well with the Mexicans, and in fact enjoy speaking spanish and am pretty proficient with it. And if I ever find myself getting a little frustrated with the sheer propensity of them down here, and with getting called a pinche gringo once in awhile, I just remind myself that I'm living in what was once northeastern Mexico, before we took it away from them in that famous Yankee landgrab that was called the Mexican-American War in 1846.
Paz, hombres.
Viva Drummerboy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies