Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 06:36 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
love is truly color blind. I was quite the ignorant fool (like so many peole on this board) before I met my wife. Glad all that changed
I will admit love is colorblind, but, my sister has a great point when it comes to these matters.

My sisters best friend is always hooking up with losers. And when my sister starts talking about how she doesn't understand why her friend gets with losers, her friend breaks out the "love is blind' card.

On the other hand, my sister always comes back and says. You can't fall in love with a loser if you don't associate with a loser. You can't fall in love with a black man if you are never around a black man.

To be honest with you, I am not a big fan of this common misconception of love. Love is not some kind of magical thing that occurs rarely. Love is very easy to have, naturally people desire to love and to be loved. You could fall in love with a lot more people than you might want to admit. The problem with relationships isn't love. its compatibility. If you expect that love alone will hold a relationship together till death do you part, then you have some heartache in store.

There is a reason why interracial marriages have such a high divorce rate. There is rarely compatibility, and the love that holds the couple together is just not enough.

The truth is, you could fall in love with practically anyone, I have thought I was in love many, many times. I just usually wisened up to the incompatibility part before I made big decision that I might later regret. And its not always easy, its difficult to let someone go until you find someone else. There are many fish in the sea.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:37 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Most people DO deal with them. They just don't complain because it would do no good. Chicago where driving with a white woman is a CRIME! There were racial incidents in that city all the time- almost on a weekly basis. It was not a stereotype. I read the news everyday. There were places you would not dare venture into there. Unless that city has changed radically since 1996, it is still racist.

It sounds like you have never been to Chicago before in your life. Quit trying to lie to people about what Chicago is like or isnt like. I do live here, and guess what all the places you talk about are nothing like you say, so obviously you are not being truthful. But hey, I guess what ever flips your boat.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I remember watching that video. Stuff like that prevents me from going to Chicago. I've only been there once and that's it.

Of all the major cities, I'm sure that Chicago and Philadelphia are the only major cities who are race conscious and have issues with interracial relationships.
Sorry but Chicago is full of interracial couples, so that isnt the case.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
It sounds like you have never been to Chicago before in your life. Quit trying to lie to people about what Chicago is like or isnt like. I do live here, and guess what all the places you talk about are nothing like you say, so obviously you are not being truthful. But hey, I guess what ever flips your boat.
You are the one telling lies. I lived there for 14 years in Edgewater and Rogers Park. I know what I am talking about. You don't.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
You are the one telling lies. I lived there for 14 years in Edgewater and Rogers Park. I know what I am talking about. You don't.
I live here right now, so I do know what I am talking about. I mean you talked about bridgeport, guess what black people walk around there all the time, guess what interracial couples live in roseland, englewood, lawndale. So, if what you said about these neighborhoods is incorrect, either you don't know what you are talking about, or you are outright making up lies.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:46 PM

313 posts, read 406,815 times
Quote:
Well, for starters, Bridgeport probably would not be a good idea because many a black has walked in there healthy and came out dead or maimed. Hedgewish not a good idea for the same reason. I don't know how Marquette Park is today but when I lived there the American Nazi Party and the KKK ran that area. And then you have the black areas of town like Roseland, Lawndale and Englewood that are not too friendly towards a white man being with "their women" either. Basically you are left with the lakefront areas, Hyde Park and the Loop.
I lived there for many years including the Harold Washington years and it was bad when the Mayor dared not venture into white neighbourhoods of his own city. I remember when he was attacked in a Catholic church of all places. So NO I would not ever recommend Chicago as a hotbed of racial tolerance.
Not only that but the Chicago Police are like the KKK in blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNcK4UJCjCA

you are telling jokes right? guess what I was in Bridgeport today, and wow, I am still alive, i must be lucky... come on, lets be honest, you don't know about the neighborhoods you are talking about?

Old 12-12-2009, 06:54 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I will admit love is colorblind, but, my sister has a great point when it comes to these matters.

My sisters best friend is always hooking up with losers. And when my sister starts talking about how she doesn't understand why her friend gets with losers, her friend breaks out the "love is blind' card.

On the other hand, my sister always comes back and says. You can't fall in love with a loser if you don't associate with a loser. You can't fall in love with a black man if you are never around a black man.

To be honest with you, I am not a big fan of this common misconception of love. Love is not some kind of magical thing that occurs rarely. Love is very easy to have, naturally people desire to love and to be loved. You could fall in love with a lot more people than you might want to admit. The problem with relationships isn't love. its compatibility. If you expect that love alone will hold a relationship together till death do you part, then you have some heartache in store.

There is a reason why interracial marriages have such a high divorce rate. There is rarely compatibility, and the love that holds the couple together is just not enough.

The truth is, you could fall in love with practically anyone, I have thought I was in love many, many times. I just usually wisened up to the incompatibility part before I made big decision that I might later regret. And its not always easy, its difficult to let someone go until you find someone else. There are many fish in the sea.
A middle class white person and a middle class black or latino person have more in common then a middle class white person would have with a white person who dropped out of school, has never read a book, and thinks working is for suckers. Or than a middle class black person would have with a black person who dropped out of school and is a gang banger. The truth is that people are a lot more complex than their skin color.

Our experiences shape us and those experiences have a lot to do with our the type of home in which we grew up, the values our parents taught us, our work ethic, our education, etc. To consider marrying someone just because you share the same skin color is foolish. So is refusing to consider marrying someone with whom you have so much in common just because the color of their skin is different. I'm always amazed by how so many white people seem to actually believe that all black folks are alike. Do none of you know actual real life black people?

Old 12-12-2009, 07:19 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
A middle class white person and a middle class black or latino person have more in common then a middle class white person would have with a white person who dropped out of school, has never read a book, and thinks working is for suckers. Or than a middle class black person would have with a black person who dropped out of school and is a gang banger. The truth is that people are a lot more complex than their skin color.

Our experiences shape us and those experiences have a lot to do with our the type of home in which we grew up, the values our parents taught us, our work ethic, our education, etc. To consider marrying someone just because you share the same skin color is foolish. So is refusing to consider marrying someone with whom you have so much in common just because the color of their skin is different. I'm always amazed by how so many white people seem to actually believe that all black folks are alike. Do none of you know actual real life black people?
I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head. Once you start talking about any kind of "theys", you know you're going down the wrong road.

My white sister and her black husband have been together for thirty years. Matter of fact, they're the only marriage in the family that has lasted. Both are the oldest of large families, both have the same political outlook, work ethic, and wanted the same things out of life. They've gone from being the only interracial couple at the mall that everyone used to stare at to being a couple that no one looks at twice because there are so many interracial couples and flat-out different races and cultures where they live.

I do think the people with the most "they" problems, no matter what race they are, are likely those who don't live near, work with, or in any way interact on a daily basis with others not of their own race. I've met black people through work who seemed to have some oddball misconceptions about white people, too, and it usually turned out that their knowledge of white people was often based on what they saw on TV. The Brady Bunch was NOT realistic, folks!

Old 12-12-2009, 07:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metye7 View Post
you are telling jokes right? guess what I was in Bridgeport today, and wow, I am still alive, i must be lucky... come on, lets be honest, you don't know about the neighborhoods you are talking about?
Oh so I made up the video here?? It is obvious that you are telling lies and that you might put people in danger if they believe you and go over to Schaller's Pump for a beer tonight. You need to stop and face reality.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:25 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Many black women are also against IR and who can blame them considering that the ratio of such relationships is overwhelmingly tilted towards black man/white woman compared to white man/black woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies