Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 07:36 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,914,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
I dont care who gets married as long as one is man and the other is a woman. It's not like different races are different species.
What's your beef with the former? Why does it affect you? Don't you have the ability to "avert your eyes?"

Old 07-17-2011, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,253 times
Default ??

This whole argument between you people is ridiculous. Why argue about something that is purely a personal preference issue? Some people agree with interracial relationships, and some do not. I myself am currently a part of one, and I enjoy it. I come from a redneck family in south Georgia, and interracial relationships are something that they do not exactly approve of. However, they have been very accepting of my significant other, and they have made him feel like he has been part of this family his entire life. Yes, we go through problems. We fight, we argue, and we have to just agree to disagree at times, but we love each other, and at the end of the day, that is the only thing that matters. Why even go through the troubles of statistics, when the rates for divorces, no matter what creed or color, is sky high, anyway? People get married for the wrong reasons and do not have the same moralities like they used to, and hence, people treat each other badly, and that is the reason the world is so dangerous and unaccepting. If people would just mind their own business, and leave others to make decisions of their lives to themselves, we would not have the problems we are having. So what if someone wants to date a person of another race? Big deal. It is not hurting you, so why worry about it? And if someone chooses to be racist and to not accept interracial dating, let them be that way. We as people have to live with the decisions that we make, and we have to suffer the consequences of our actions, so if we are making a bad decision, let us make it so we can learn from it. There is no sense in all of this arguing. Cliche of the day: Can't we all just get along?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamico View Post
If people would just mind their own business, and leave others to make decisions of their lives to themselves, we would not have the problems we are having. So what if someone wants to date a person of another race? Big deal. It is not hurting you, so why worry about it? And if someone chooses to be racist and to not accept interracial dating, let them be that way. We as people have to live with the decisions that we make, and we have to suffer the consequences of our actions, so if we are making a bad decision, let us make it so we can learn from it. There is no sense in all of this arguing. Cliche of the day: Can't we all just get along?

The problem with your conclusion is that you use a false pretense of causation. Your argument is that, people being intolerant of other peoples relationships is what is causing the immorality of the world, and thus the increase in divorce rates.

The problem with this theory is that, divorce rates and immorality have gone up as the world has become more tolerant. Thus, your conclusion cannot be true.

On the contrary, what has always kept society moral, is actually the exact thing you are arguing against. Morality can only come from the people around you both instilling morality in you, as well as making sure you stay on that moral path throughout life. Morality comes from having consequences for your actions. That the merit of your actions should be weighed by the others around you.

No morality ever came from allowing people to just run amok.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:00 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Default depends on who is doing the opposing

Would it be possible to oppose a marriage because you think your child or friend is making a bad choice based on how you feel about the individual?

Or would it be preferrable to sanction the choice of a partner soley because their race appears on a government list of protected species?

Often cultural dfferences are the issue and race gets swept along in the emotion.

When a guy changes his name three times and his mother is waiting for a spaceship and the world to end late June it behooves you to discourage your daughter from marrying into that family. Unless your daughter agrees to be sterilized. Of course that is not cultural or racial but wackadoo. If race is involved then the social scientists who grovel in political correctness will find a way to denouce the opposition to the marriage as 'racist'.

Its all about perception and whose perception is deemd valid by whoever sets themdselves set up as the reference point.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:58 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Would it be possible to oppose a marriage because you think your child or friend is making a bad choice based on how you feel about the individual?

Or would it be preferrable to sanction the choice of a partner soley because their race appears on a government list of protected species?

Often cultural dfferences are the issue and race gets swept along in the emotion.

When a guy changes his name three times and his mother is waiting for a spaceship and the world to end late June it behooves you to discourage your daughter from marrying into that family. Unless your daughter agrees to be sterilized. Of course that is not cultural or racial but wackadoo. If race is involved then the social scientists who grovel in political correctness will find a way to denouce the opposition to the marriage as 'racist'.

Its all about perception and whose perception is deemd valid by whoever sets themdselves set up as the reference point.
I would a bad marriage choice should have more to do with the individual's merit, not the rate. If I have a child and that child marries outside of his or her race, fine with me, no objection. The child will have my blessing and my support. However, the person the child shall marry must be of similar faith. If I have a child, I am going to raise that child to be a Christian(more specifically a Catholic) and I would like for the child to marry a Christian(preferably a Catholic). The person must be of good character and be nice and kind and loving towards the child I have.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:00 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The problem with your conclusion is that you use a false pretense of causation. Your argument is that, people being intolerant of other peoples relationships is what is causing the immorality of the world, and thus the increase in divorce rates.

The problem with this theory is that, divorce rates and immorality have gone up as the world has become more tolerant. Thus, your conclusion cannot be true.

On the contrary, what has always kept society moral, is actually the exact thing you are arguing against. Morality can only come from the people around you both instilling morality in you, as well as making sure you stay on that moral path throughout life. Morality comes from having consequences for your actions. That the merit of your actions should be weighed by the others around you.

No morality ever came from allowing people to just run amok.
If divorce comes from immorality tolerance, then it should be concluded that race has nothing to do with it, but rather, a couple's inability to stick it out, or the husband cheating.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:28 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,162 times
It's been past 5 years. I reckon some people still have issues with it. I think more people have become a little cautious about it due to racial stereotypes.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:36 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,210 times
I'm not opposed however life seems hard enough without adding any additional stress to it. The stress being some people not accepting your relationship which may include family members. People that may stare at you in public places in areas of the country where there is little mixing of races. The stress of seeing your children not being one race or another in school. But the idea that had the most impact was when a friend of mine that is a psychiatrist dated a man outside her race and she couldn't make it work. She told me the cultural differences were too great. I'm still NOT opposed to it however I don't believe I would be interested in a relationship such as that for myself. Anyone that feels they can make it work has my blessing.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:40 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I'm not opposed however life seems hard enough without adding any additional stress to it. The stress being some people not accepting your relationship which may include family members. People that may stare at you in public places in areas of the country where there is little mixing of races. The stress of seeing your children not being one race or another in school. But the idea that had the most impact was when a friend of mine that is a psychiatrist dated a man outside her race and she couldn't make it work. She told me the cultural differences were too great. I'm still NOT opposed to it however I don't believe I would be interested in a relationship such as that for myself. Anyone that feels they can make it work has my blessing.
On the flip side, there are many who have none of the stresses you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies