Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
I'm PRO War 5 4.95%
Sometimes i'm for War, it depends 19 18.81%
War should be the LAST Option 60 59.41%
I'm completely against War, anti-war, pacifist. 17 16.83%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 05:21 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
State your stance.
Okay. I'll bite.

My "stance" on war?
  • Sometimes necessary to confront evil.
  • Sometiems necessary to preserve freedom
  • Sometimes necessary to defend others who's liberty/sovereignty is being threatend.
  • Always necessary after a direct attack (Ex: 9/11)
That about sums it up, I think. There is evil in the world. Free countries must always fight to preserve their freedom. Hence the saying, "Freedom isn't fee"

There will always be those who want to take your liberty from you. You must always be prepared to fight to preserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 05:22 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
A real assessment of what's out there should be noted to all the pacifist and last option war people so they understand there is no longer an isolationist stance to take.

Quote:
In the past, the threat of mutually assured destruction provided a lasting deterrent against the exchange of multiple high-yield nuclear warheads. However, now even a single, low-yield nuclear explosion high above the United States, or over a battlefield, can produce a large-scale EMP effect that could result in a widespread loss of electronics, but no direct fatalities, and may not necessarily evoke a large nuclear retaliatory strike by the U.S. military. This, coupled with published articles discussing the vulnerability of U.S. critical infrastructure control systems, and some U.S. military battlefield systems to the effects of EMP, may create a new incentive for other countries to rapidly develop or acquire a nuclear capability.

Studies related to the effects of electromagnetic energy used as weapons have been published infrequently, or remain classified.23 Nevertheless, it is known that a powerful HEMP field as it radiates outward can interfere with radio frequency links and instantly produce damaging voltage and currents in electronic devices thousands of miles from the nuclear explosion. Effectiveness is increased if the electronic devices are connected to any other metal that could also act as an antenna. Because infrastructure computer systems are interconnected, a widespread HEMP effect could lead to possible long-term disruption of the power grid, fuel distribution, transportation systems, food and water supplies, and communications and equipment for hospitals and first responders, as well as military communications systems which utilize the civilian infrastructure.
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL32544.pdf

I voted for war as a last choice but I also fully understand that we don't get classified information about actual assessments of where advesaries stand in terms of their development of nuclear, and other, weapons. I'm sure anyone with a half a brain can imagine how their own world would change if power was lost, computers were destroyed, the distribution of food brought to a standstill, the ability to store food nonexistent, support services such as 9-11/ambulance services/hospitals/satellites/fire departments/etc. deemed impotent for weeks, months and maybe even years. Disease, starvation and mass chaos would be your new world. Dare I say it could even rise to apocalyptic times.

You can choose to sit smug thinking all that would never bother you and you can live of your land but if you're even remotely close to urbanized areas then you'll be fighting off people like Will Smith in "that" movie...

Old 12-13-2009, 05:32 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBusta View Post
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, y'all
Except if you are attacked, and you want to preserve your liberty; wouldn't you say? Or, would you roll over and say something like, "take me, I'm yours"?

Great response.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM

190 posts, read 210,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Except if you are attacked, and you want to preserve your liberty; wouldn't you say? Or, would you roll over and say something like, "take me, I'm yours"?

Great response.
That was a joke, genius. Look at my response to the poll and my other post.

Thanks for playing. Always fun to watch someone knee jerk their way through, probably red-faced, puffing as they type on the keyboard -- ready to refute us all!!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:02 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,329,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When you fight hate with hate - then hate always wins.

I tried to find that quote on the internet so I could attribute it to someone, but I couldn't find it. WHich is odd, because I thought it was Ghandi.

Anyway.

No war. No way.

20yrsinbranson
Ghandi said an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind

Old 12-13-2009, 06:05 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBusta View Post
That was a joke, genius. Look at my response to the poll and my other post.

Thanks for playing. Always fun to watch someone knee jerk their way through, probably red-faced, puffing as they type on the keyboard -- ready to refute us all!!
No, foolish traitor, they are red-facedly typing their entry apps for the Marines and the Army (definitely Airborne and prolly Special Forces, as I'm sure they speak Pashto), preparing to rescue you and I from the dreaded Evil Ones--be thankful that they fight the terrorists (and the occasional wedding party) over there so we are free to pursue our carefree keyboard lifestyles over here!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
There will always be those who want to take your liberty from you. You must always be prepared to fight to preserve it.
There indeed are people like that, and 99.9% of them are Americans. And yes, I "fight" to preserve it by donating to pro-freedom organizations like the ACLU whenever I can.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:24 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
A great Chinese philosopher Sun Tzu once noted that wars are really won before the first arrow is shot by either side. Sun Tzu also thought that war should be the last option and one taken with the thought that If the enemy has studied Sun Tzu too, it might be a march to defeat.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Greeting's,

Well Now ..... That's the kind of post that a true "American Patriot" would compose and a well done to you (Reluctant GardenStater) !

Since the whinning "Cry Baby" pacifist's will not "Stand Behind" our brave & proud American Soldiers as they risk their very lives to keep American's safe ..... perhaps it can be arranged to have them "Stand In Front" of them. A great location for these pathetic " Bubbleheads" !

Thank You and have a nice day / Lamar
In our Country... one class of men makes war and leaves another to fight it out.
William Tecumseh Sherman

War is at its best barbarism.
William Tecumseh Sherman

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.

William Tecumseh Sherman

This is what an American soldier had to say about it...

Old 12-13-2009, 06:31 PM

190 posts, read 210,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
No, foolish traitor, they are red-facedly typing their entry apps for the Marines and the Army (definitely Airborne and prolly Special Forces, as I'm sure they speak Pashto), preparing to rescue you and I from the dreaded Evil Ones--be thankful that they fight the terrorists (and the occasional wedding party) over there so we are free to pursue our carefree keyboard lifestyles over here!
Ah, here's another one, face contorted, spittle flying, not bothering to read what you're responding to -- just OMGWTFBBQ, gotta say somethin', anything, (huff puff snort wheeze).

Look at how I voted on the poll: sometimes for war, I'm one of the illustrious 7 or so who don't always think it is the LAST option.

Look at my post later in this thread about how I think war is justified as not the last option for intervention in things like genocide, atrocities, etc. Actually, although he posted it after I did, nosense actually echoed some of the same sentiments.

The "joke" he was responding to and what you're getting high and mighty about (and you speculate that this guy is trying to enlist -- maybe he is, maybe he isn't -- for some reason, I doubt it, though -- either way, you're reading a lot into it, aren't you) is because the thread title reminded me of that old Edwin Starr song.

That's it. Go argue with someone who actually disagrees with you on the subject, and maybe watch the name calling there, "teach."

Last edited by GoBusta; 12-13-2009 at 06:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies