Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:06 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times

Advertisements

I read the other day about CERN The large hadron collider on the Swiss/French border and that they were going to step up their experiments that are scheduled for this next week. Now, it seems that they often do not make their planned schedule because of unforseen difficulties and breakdowns, but I think that they are playing with fire.

No-one knows what a black hole will do if they succeed in creating one - however small it is. Black holes must start out small and then grow by sucking in everything I guess. The alarmists/realists state that it will swallow us all and get out of control. However, the official line is that the scientisist have done the math and they think it will not be big enough to self-sustain!! Lets hope they are correct.

What do you think?

The 01 Dec article in the Guardian UK states that they will start actually colliding particles next year , but I tend to believe that they will not wait that long. As soon as they are able, I think they will do it.

They have already made collisions at 2.36 trillion electron volts and so now we just have to wait as they create bigger and bigger collisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 06:15 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
Should be on the science forum. Anyway if a black hole was created it would dissolve in nano seconds. If it lasted longer the Earth's gravity would pull the black hole into the center of the earth and it would take billions of years for the black hole to become big enough to suck in a single grain of sand. So in billions of billions of years it may be threat assuming one gets created and doesn't dissolve instantly.

They were also afraid that the collider would create strange matter and turn the earth into strangelets.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Black holes start out big and grow bigger. There has to be enough mass in one place for the escape velocity to exceed light speed before the gravity well becomes infinitely deep and the black hole becomes self sustaining. I do not see where a submicroscopic "black hole" anomaly can ever grow at all and I am not certain what ever the CERN geniuses are creating is actually a black hole.

I do support funding these guys because they do provide more knowledge about the place where we exist and thet is a good thing to have.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:35 AM

If it is a controversy, it should be here too? Thats why I posted it here because it is controversial. However, if you think it is better in science, then please move it.

If a black hole were created, no-one knows what will happen. Yes, they have calculated what will happen, according to theory, but what if the science is flawed? It is playing with fire for the sake of finding the "God Particle".

Anyway, how do you KNOW in billions of years....?

Black holes have not been studied closely and the nearest one is in the centre of the Milky Way as far as I know. We certainly do not know how long it took to get big enough to pull in people-sized objects or larger.

I dont know anything about strangelets - what are they? Are the dangerous too?

It seems people just believe all the propaganda that CERN is throwing out about what a good thing it will be. CERN authorities do not talk of all the dangers to mankind and the Earth.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 AM

I realize that this thread may make some of the Christian Taliban Bush supporting NeoCons feel uncomfortable so I will provide there explanation of events.

There is no science only God. Since they believe the Earth is 6000 years old and the center of the universe they don't believe in black holes. However, Jesus in a rage may destroy the Earth because man dared to believe in science. If Bush was still president he would call CERN a WMD and invade Switzerland and France sparking WWIII.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
If it is a controversy, it should be here too? Thats why I posted it here because it is controversial. However, if you think it is better in science, then please move it.

If a black hole were created, no-one knows what will happen. Yes, they have calculated what will happen, according to theory, but what if the science is flawed? It is playing with fire for the sake of finding the "God Particle".

Anyway, how do you KNOW in billions of years....?

Black holes have not been studied closely and the nearest one is in the centre of the Milky Way as far as I know. We certainly do not know how long it took to get big enough to pull in people-sized objects or larger.

I dont know anything about strangelets - what are they? Are the dangerous too?

It seems people just believe all the propaganda that CERN is throwing out about what a good thing it will be. CERN authorities do not talk of all the dangers to mankind and the Earth.
Because there are no dangers. First off it probably won't make a black hole, and if it did it won't have the mass to be a threat. Black Holes are created by stars several times the mass of the sun collapsing into a singularity. Most black holes come from Stars that are not only several times bigger than our sun, but several times bigger than our whole solar system, and/or galaxy. So if a black hole was made by CERN it wouldn't have the mass to be a threat and would probably instantly dissolve. As I said in my first post even if didn't collapse, assuming one is even made, than it would take it billions and billions of years to be a threat.

Strangelets are another story. I don't really understand them too well so you might be better off doing research of your own. Here is wikipedia:
Quote:
strangelet is a hypothetical particle consisting of a bound state of roughly equal numbers of up, down, and strange quarks.
They are supposedly more stable than nuclei so they turn everything around them into strangelets too. So very quickly the Earth and everyone on it could be converted into strangelets. Very hypothetical stuff.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Somewhat similar concerns were voiced over the first atomic bomb experiments - people were concerned the entire atmosphere would catch on fire and extinguish all life.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:50 AM

197 posts, read 378,897 times
There is a video about this exact topic, they explained how small the black wholes would be, and they would be minuscule, as well as being unable to sustain themselves.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:16 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Just for *****s and giggles, I wonder if CERN has any plans to run experiments on Dec. 21st. 2012? That ought to get the doomsday folks fired up.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:56 PM

Basically, no-one knows do they. They may have done the math, and they may have hypthesised that blackholes are only successful if made from huge stars but as I say, no-one knows because it has not been done. I really wonder if anyone understands what they are doing too.

The fact that a 'video has been made' does not mean that this is correct. You only have to look at Youtube and the amount of creative videos there are there, to see that any Tom Dick or Harry can make a video about something if they want to.

Who is to say that black holes do not start out small and get very big very quickly?

Maybe people did say negative things about the nuclear bomb, but you can hardly say that it was man's greatest achievement can you? Killing millions of people maybe an achievement in your book, but then I suppose killing billions of people is an even bigger achievement if the black holes do not behave as you expect at CERN.

Stars several time the size of our sun are probaly the only thing that has the required energy to create these mini black holes so it is hardly fair to cite this as an example when we are about to make our own at CERN using our own technology (rather than natural star energy).

Last edited by ocpaul20; 12-16-2009 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies