Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:41 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I believe this also, but we will still need petroleum for plastics, lubricants, etc. Who knows though, we might an alternative to that too.
you can use algae petrolium to make the same platics. its great stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
...because if prehistoric reptiles could survive higher amounts of CO2, then it's nothing for us to worry about.

Boy, that's some logic, there. You betcha.
well, my argument is that the atmosphere was comprised of the things we need to survive and didnt have harmful things in it.

it was mostly nitrogen with high enough O2 levels and CO2 at 1200 ppm is not too high to harm humans.

quite simple actually. we could have lived then because the atmosphere was just fine. has nothing to do with really big lizards.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:04 PM

160 posts, read 161,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well, my argument is that the atmosphere was comprised of the things we need to survive and didnt have harmful things in it.

it was mostly nitrogen with high enough O2 levels and CO2 at 1200 ppm is not too high to harm humans.

quite simple actually. we could have lived then because the atmosphere was just fine. has nothing to do with really big lizards.
Mine was the same. I almost puked when Dr. Hogie said that the lower concentrations of co2 is what sparked human evolution!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
you can use algae petrolium to make the same platics. its great stuff!
I saw a show with a scientist talking about the algae stuff, it is very, very promising indeed. Those are the types of innovations that we need to make. Your posts are very informative. Keep it up. You too Nomander wherever you are!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:11 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times
Quote:
Mine was the same. I almost puked when Dr. Hogie said that the lower concentrations of co2 is what sparked human evolution!
I've discovered your problem, dumdum! Reading!

You should learn how, because it really helps in discussions like this.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:13 PM

In the interest of others... this got lost in the semantics argument over what earth history means.....

Did you know that the Holocene Maximum (9k to 5K years ago) was vastly warmer than today with a CO2 Level somewhere around 250ppm.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I've discovered your problem, dumdum! Reading!

You should learn how, because it really helps in discussions like this.
I can read fine. You may need a new way to spin things, your old way is too worn out.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
In the interest of others... this got lost in the semantics argument over what earth history means.....

Did you know that the Holocene Maximum (9k to 5K years ago) was vastly warmer than today with a CO2 Level somewhere around 250ppm.
Could that have been caused by the tilt of the Earth's axis that goes through a cycle that takes thousands of years causing the planet to wobble and disrupting ocean currents, weather patterns and climate? Or does this have more to do with pure solar cycles? Or a combination of both? I'm asking seriously because I don't know.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Could that have been caused by the tilt of the Earth's axis that goes through a cycle that takes thousands of years causing the planet to wobble and disrupting ocean currents, weather patterns and climate? Or does this have more to do with pure solar cycles? Or a combination of both? I'm asking seriously because I don't know.
I am not sure. I suspect some combination of them all. The bottom line is that warming (even greater than the MWP) did not cause catastrophic results.

There was no “chain reaction” that AGW proponents claim will happen in the arctic heats up. There simply is no indication that either the Holocene Maximum or the Medieval Warming Period were materially different from the current warming period.

The HM lasted for 5 thousand years. The MWP lasted for 350 years. We have only reached MWP levels in the last 15 years or so… and remember that the HM was 5C warmer than today! We aren’t even to that level!

So there is this vast hole in the AGW argument. If we are just now reaching a “warming level” why are we acting like it is some new and dangerous thing?

It has been warmer. It may get that warm again. Or we may simply end this warm thing pretty soon and go back to the deep freeze….for 70,000 years…..

Old 12-15-2009, 02:29 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times
Quote:
I can read fine. You may need a new way to spin things, your old way is too worn out.
No, you can't. Point to where I said that decreasing CO2 concentrations sparked human evolution.

Or apologize when you can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies