Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:09 AM

989 posts, read 2,762,829 times

Advertisements

[NOTE: I am not making a judgement about the justness of the Iraq war or the greater war on terrorism; opinions on that are already everywhere. Please try to keep posts limited to the topic below (at least for the first couple!) Thanks!]

The thing that really gets me worried about the war in Iraq is the potential evil that it holds for the future.

Lets go back a step. Does anyone else remember all of the news reporting they did after Sept 11th to explain who Osama Bin Laden and his top lieutenants were? One thing that they kept repeating over and over was that they established themselves and gained credibility fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan. Fighting Soviets made Osama and his men heroes to the radical Muslim people.

I draw a lot of comparisons to the Iraq war and the Soviet invasion of the Afghans (and no, I don't think they're the same, so save the flame).

*Superpower in a fairly weak (globally speaking) Muslim country
*Muslim country dominated militarily in a matter of months (i.e. cities and strategic points all quickly captured)
*A protracted insurgency that proves to be very unpopular "back home" in the Superpower's country. In Afghanistan it led to withdrawl. It is a strong possiblity that Iraq could have the same effect on the US.

How many future Bin Laden's are we creating, making their name building IEDs or sniping US soldiers, that we won't hear about until there is another Sept 11th style attack in 10-30 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 01:15 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlevo View Post
*A protracted insurgency that proves to be very unpopular "back home" in the Superpower's country. In Afghanistan it led to withdrawl. It is a strong possiblity that Iraq could have the same effect on the US.
The major difficulty with fighting a war against an insurgency is that the terrorists use tactics that are almost impossible to stop. Frequently the terrorist or insurgent is just an average citizen who sets a bomb, or picks up a rifle and kills a soldier. Then he just walks away and he looks like anyone else that happens to be on the street. And by the time troops arrive they have no idea who did what. It's a tactic that has been used in Africa for a very long time and it's very effective. And it's a tactic that can be carried on successfully for generations by a very small percentage of the population. Meanwhile, the occupying nation spends huge amounts of money and pays a heavy price in causalities.

But the real danger is if the war goes on too long it becomes a generational conflict. Children seeing occupying troops grow up learning how to kill. And for a nation like the United States, one that has open borders, sooner or later this type of tactic could be brought to our own shores in the same way Northern Ireland brought terror to England. Furthermore, the conflict appears only to have a down side to Americans following the war. They see the wounded and deaths accumulate while there appears to be no end in sight to the conflict.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:16 AM

76 posts, read 209,392 times
It is a colonial war and like it or not, we cannot win; even its supporters don't have the will to pay the price either personally by going there or paying for it so it is not "off budget."

Old 05-19-2007, 08:51 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
I just finished reading Lee Iacocca's new book and I think he summed it up pretty well, he made a statement to the effect that: If you're the leader of the free world your ideas need to be bigger than your guns.

I don't think that's been the case and we'll all be paying the price for it.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:03 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
evlevo,

I think you are absolutely correct. But I'm not sure we are causing future generations to try harder, I think it's a natural occurance.

Look at the VA shootings. One guy came out and said, "Is that all he did? I can do better."

Unfortunately, it's like a forest fire. We can try and clean up brush and protect ourselves. But we know it's going to happen again. Lightning strike here or there. But we darn sure have to take care of the current forest fire as best we can and possibly learn a little more about how to take care of the next one.

If we won tomorrow, great. But I know there'd be another hot spot soon. Maybe the same reason, maybe a different one. But it will happen.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:00 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,623 times
If 9/11 happens again, what are you willing to do about it ? And I don't mean going into another Iraq.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:09 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,127,849 times
What would you do?

Terrorism can't be won; it has to be subdued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
If 9/11 happens again, what are you willing to do about it ? And I don't mean going into another Iraq.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:52 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
What would you do?

Terrorism can't be won; it has to be subdued.
I'm not sure what I would do..but I do know that payback would be hell for whoever supports them...And if you ask Israel, I'm sure they would tell you that you can't subdue terrorism..

Old 05-19-2007, 09:59 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Governments are invariably placed under enormous pressure to react forcibly and fast in the wake of a terrorist attack. This response is not likely to be most conducive to long-term success against terrorists.
-- Louise Richardson

The catalogue of things that don't work very well against a terrorist enemy is a long one. Ms. Richardson's book, What Terrorists Want, would be an interesting read for those who are more interested in some of the things that might and have worked...

Old 05-20-2007, 07:24 PM

130 posts, read 155,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlevo View Post
[NOTE: I am not making a judgement about the justness of the Iraq war or the greater war on terrorism; opinions on that are already everywhere. Please try to keep posts limited to the topic below (at least for the first couple!) Thanks!]

The thing that really gets me worried about the war in Iraq is the potential evil that it holds for the future.

Lets go back a step. Does anyone else remember all of the news reporting they did after Sept 11th to explain who Osama Bin Laden and his top lieutenants were? One thing that they kept repeating over and over was that they established themselves and gained credibility fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan. Fighting Soviets made Osama and his men heroes to the radical Muslim people.

I draw a lot of comparisons to the Iraq war and the Soviet invasion of the Afghans (and no, I don't think they're the same, so save the flame).

*Superpower in a fairly weak (globally speaking) Muslim country
*Muslim country dominated militarily in a matter of months (i.e. cities and strategic points all quickly captured)

How many future Bin Laden's are we creating, making their name building IEDs or sniping US soldiers, that we won't hear about until there is another Sept 11th style attack in 10-30 years?
Big difference in the Soviet INVASION of Afghanistan and the Americans defending the freedom for the people of oppressive dictators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies