Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 03:19 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
People can say a lot of things about Rachel Maddow but "a limited grasp of the subjects of cristicism" is not one of them. In addition to having been a captain in the air force, an attorney, and a school program administrator, she's got a degree in public policy from Standford and a doctoral of philosophy in politics from Oxford. She was also the recipient of a Rhodes Scholarship and did her post grad work at Lincoln College, Oxford. She's a smart lady with a better education than the four best known Fox pundits put together.
Rachel Maddow was never in the military - she's not allowed to serve. Also, I'm pretty sure she's not an attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 03:22 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
dictionary.com seems more direct than google.
I wasn't trying to pigeon hole you.

The way some people are around here, I could have been pilloried for suggesting it. For all i know dictionary.com could be linked to some agenda driven bible thumping extremist, and I'd be called out as some hack for promoting it ... muhaha...

Old 12-17-2009, 03:32 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,216,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Rachel Maddow was never in the military - she's not allowed to serve. Also, I'm pretty sure she's not an attorney.
It was her father who was in the military and an attorney, not Rachel Maddow. Her mother was some sort of school program administrator.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I wasn't trying to pigeon hole you.

The way some people are around here, I could have been pilloried for suggesting it. For all i know dictionary.com could be linked to some agenda driven bible thumping extremist, and I'd be called out as some hack for promoting it ... muhaha...

Old 12-17-2009, 04:01 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
People can say a lot of things about Rachel Maddow but "a limited grasp of the subjects of cristicism" is not one of them. In addition to having been a captain in the air force, an attorney, and a school program administrator, she's got a degree in public policy from Standford and a doctoral of philosophy in politics from Oxford. She was also the recipient of a Rhodes Scholarship and did her post grad work at Lincoln College, Oxford. She's a smart lady with a better education than the four best known Fox pundits put together.
I've said this elsewhere but it's applicable here- her resume pales in comparison to her real time conduct and attitude. I'm not refuting her intelligence, but rather pointing out it's misuse. You cannot help anyone or any situation when you have utter contempt and she's allowed her own frustrations to run undisciplined. The same smug BS of idiots wishing for America to fail, or dancing with glee in the streets when WTC fell... only shades of gray separate these mentalities. Only the modus operandi is different. Can you see it now?

According to Ms Maddow, her conclusions are foregone. Blind acceptance of pre chewed information is a sickness running rampant in American media and it needs to stop. Poetic license needs to be revoked. Don't insult my intelligence with put upon eye rolling BS.

Rachel, if I could offer you any advice it would be to put aside that pop trend of street justice irreverence. Find respect for the work and the public servants in the trenches. When wrongdoing occurs shine the light impartially but tell the whole story. When right doing occurs shine the light impartially. I beg you to use your journalistic muscle to get to the root causes of how the American system has been leached to death because economic warfare has been afoot for decades. American citizens: the natives of west indies could not recognize the threat of a European ship because it wasn't in their vocabulary. We need that vocabulary. We NEED straight dope truth, not drama. We need accountability. We need sobriety. We need many things, but sarcasm, like so much smear campaign junk mail arriving in my mailbox, is not in any way useful.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:03 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
Most "liberals" don't watch Maddow or political any talk show. We don't need talking heads to make opinions for us. Can FOX viewers say the same thing?

Old 12-17-2009, 04:14 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Most "liberals" don't watch Maddow or political any talk show. We don't need talking heads to make opinions for us. Can FOX viewers say the same thing?
On that topic I'm obliged to give libs credit for not sparing their lib representatives criticism. 24/7 vitriole of Olberman is as vexing as fear mongering from right wing loonies, but at least he isn't slurping under a desk. I found criticism suspiciously absent of conservatives when neo cons had the yoke of responsibility. Deny deny deny, they farted sunshine and flowers daily. I worried about america more when people were fearful to criticize, and less when volumes of nonsense was being spoken. Kind of like when your kids are too quiet and out of sight... mom's instinct knows that's trouble.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:36 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I've said this elsewhere but it's applicable here- her resume pales in comparison to her real time conduct and attitude. I'm not refuting her intelligence, but rather pointing out it's misuse. You cannot help anyone or any situation when you have utter contempt and she's allowed her own frustrations to run undisciplined. The same smug BS of idiots wishing for America to fail, or dancing with glee in the streets when WTC fell... only shades of gray separate these mentalities. Only the modus operandi is different. Can you see it now?
No, I don't see it now. I don't see "attitude", "contempt" or "undisciplined" frustrations in her interviews and editorials. I see those things in Olberman, Beck and Rush though. She's on a liberal cable network that doesn't pretend to be "fair and balanced" and I wouldn't expect that the right is going to see her the same way as the left.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

According to Ms Maddow, her conclusions are foregone. Blind acceptance of pre chewed information is a sickness running rampant in American media and it needs to stop. Poetic license needs to be revoked. Don't insult my intelligence with put upon eye rolling BS.

Rachel, if I could offer you any advice it would be to put aside that pop trend of street justice irreverence. Find respect for the work and the public servants in the trenches. When wrongdoing occurs shine the light impartially but tell the whole story. When right doing occurs shine the light impartially. I beg you to use your journalistic muscle to get to the root causes of how the American system has been leached to death because economic warfare has been afoot for decades. American citizens: the natives of west indies could not recognize the threat of a European ship because it wasn't in their vocabulary. We need that vocabulary. We NEED straight dope truth, not drama. We need accountability. We need sobriety. We need many things, but sarcasm, like so much smear campaign junk mail arriving in my mailbox, is not in any way useful.
"resume pales in comparison to her 'real time' conduct and attitude".......WHAT??? AND "utter contempt"????? WHAT AGAIN?

Have you EVER watched Rachel Maddow?

"The same smug BS of idiots wishing for America to fail, or dancing with glee in the streets when WTC fell... only shades of gray separate these mentalities. "
Are YOU by any chance comparing Rachel Maddow to the folks in the middle east who were "dancing in the streets when WTC fell"? Geeee, you seem to have gotten carried away with your own spewing of words there.

Do I detect a failed "journalist" in those paragraphs, or maybe a frustrated writer? With all due respect, you seem to be doing your own intelligence a great injustice with your rant about Rachel Maddow.

Just one more:

"According to Ms Maddow, her conclusions are foregone. Blind acceptance of pre chewed information is a sickness running rampant in American media and it needs to stop."

^ I don't believe you have ever watched The Rachel Maddow Show for more than five minutes, and you obviously did not pay much attention to those five minutes. Sounds like your "utter contempt" and bitterness/jealousy is for those who actually do have a national audience for their political analysis each day.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:55 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Just trying to determine if I caught her on a bad day or not.
Maybe you were having a bad day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies