Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:04 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Former President Carter says President Bush's administration is "the worst in history" in international relations, taking aim at the White House's policy of pre-emptive war and its Middle East diplomacy.

The criticism from Carter, which a biographer says is unprecedented for the 39th president, also took aim at Bush's environmental policies and the administration's "quite disturbing" faith-based initiative funding.

"I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history," Carter told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in a story that appeared in the newspaper's Saturday editions. "The overt reversal of America's basic values as expressed by previous administrations, including those of George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon and others, has been the most disturbing to me."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070519/ap_on_re_us/carter_bush;_ylt=AsM.rbwujHdRw32rrchw.blI2ocA (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 06:15 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,826,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Former President Carter says President Bush's administration is "the worst in history" in international relations, taking aim at the White House's policy of pre-emptive war and its Middle East diplomacy.

The criticism from Carter, which a biographer says is unprecedented for the 39th president, also took aim at Bush's environmental policies and the administration's "quite disturbing" faith-based initiative funding.

"I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history," Carter told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in a story that appeared in the newspaper's Saturday editions. "The overt reversal of America's basic values as expressed by previous administrations, including those of George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon and others, has been the most disturbing to me."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070519/ap_on_re_us/carter_bush;_ylt=AsM.rbwujHdRw32rrchw.blI2ocA (broken link)
The Jimster, is just looking at his legacy and sees that his greatest accomplshment in his life will be building habitats, so he is trying to capitalize on the unrest of the lunatic fringe and insert himself back into the political scene!

Old 05-19-2007, 06:26 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,672 times
I must admit that former President Jimmy Carter wasn't a real stand-out to me while he was in office, though he did try to effect positive change while coming up against an uncooperative Congress and Senate. The deck was just stacked against him in D.C.

I have come to regard him as a humanitarian with the vision of a true elder statesman. He has his own personal beliefs and feelings, but can access situations from a broader perspective. He has guts to voice his opinion out loud while this president is still in office!

The Republican comeback was weak:
"Apparently, Sunday mornings in Plains for former President Carter includes hurling reckless accusations at your fellow man," said Amber Wilkerson, Republican National Committee spokeswoman. She said it was hard to take Carter seriously because he also "challenged Ronald Reagan's strategy for the Cold War."
Also stated by Mr. Carter:
"The policy from the White House has been to allocate funds to religious institutions, even those that channel those funds exclusively to their own particular group of believers in a particular religion," Carter said. "As a traditional Baptist, I've always believed in separation of church and state and honored that premise when I was president, and so have all other presidents, I might say, except this one."

Old 05-19-2007, 07:38 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
The Jimster, is just looking at his legacy and sees that his greatest accomplshment in his life will be building habitats, so he is trying to capitalize on the unrest of the lunatic fringe and insert himself back into the political scene!
Lunatic fringe? You mean the 70% or so of Americans who don't agree with the policies of this administration?

Should we infer from your post that you think destroying habitats with dubious purpose is a greater accomplishment than building habitats?

Old 05-19-2007, 07:39 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,105 times
This is kind of unprecedented for an ex-president to criticize another president while in office.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:50 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,736 times
Didn't Teddy Roosevelt criticize William Howard Taft?

Old 05-19-2007, 08:27 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I disagree. Carter spoke his mind, and it says a lot when a man who wears his faith on his sleeve like Carter does denounces Bush's "faith based initiatives."

People give Carter way too much grief, he was a lame duck the moment he took office, but his accomplishments since leaving office are pretty much unparalleled.

Last edited by Sporin; 05-19-2007 at 08:42 PM..

Old 05-19-2007, 08:37 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
This is kind of unprecedented for an ex-president to criticize another president while in office.
Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,826,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I disagree. Carter spoke his mind, and it says a lot when a man who wears his faith on his sleeve like Carter does denounces Bush's "faith based initiatives."

People give Carter way too much grief, he was a lame duck the moment he took office, but his accomplishments since leaving office are pretty much unparalleled.
I believe if he were a republican that would be called a hypocrite,
Very much unparalleled ! no former president has built more houses than he has!

Old 05-20-2007, 02:34 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade.
Carter may be a wonderful man, but alot of people help with habitat for humanity. As President he was and will be depicted by history as one of our worst choices for a leader. Double digit inflation and unemployment. And he could not resolve the Iranian crisis. I am not sure he had a foreign policy?

It is better to make the wrong decision than no decision at all. This represents Carter's whole term and led to one of the greatest margins of defeat by a sitting President. Carters an old man who could not lead in '76 and he still does not have a clue. I doubt the sitting President will lose any sleep over Jimmy Carters opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies