Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times

Advertisements

Legislative Gazette

New York billionaire Thomas Golisano announced today his reasons for leaving the state, but said he will still keep an interest in New York politics.

Golisano, who currently spends three to four months out of the year in Florida, said he will become a legal resident of the sunshine state due to excessive taxes placed on the rich in New York. Golisano, who ran for governor twice, said he will have to pay $13,800 a day in taxes if he stays in New York, roughly $5 million a year.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/672153.html (broken link)

The billionaire earlier this year told The Buffalo News that the only thing keeping him in New York was his family. “The only reason I’m staying in this state is I have family here. Economically, it just doesn’t make sense,” he said in February.

But since then, Gov. David A. Paterson and lawmakers approved a state budget that will raise $4 billion in new income taxes this year on wealthier residents. In Golisano’s case —and anyone else making more than $500,000 this year — he is seeing his state tax rate go from 6.85 percent to 8.97 percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 11:43 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,016,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Legislative Gazette

New York billionaire Thomas Golisano announced today his reasons for leaving the state, but said he will still keep an interest in New York politics.

Golisano, who currently spends three to four months out of the year in Florida, said he will become a legal resident of the sunshine state due to excessive taxes placed on the rich in New York. Golisano, who ran for governor twice, said he will have to pay $13,800 a day in taxes if he stays in New York, roughly $5 million a year.

Boo hoo.. LOL .. really.. if he is paying 5millin in taxes.. he's making that a million times over.

Maybe if all the rich people leave NY the housing prices will actually come down to what the AVERAGE American can actually afford.

for a long time NY has been pushing out the middle class because housing has reached far beyond the middle income families ability to afford.

i'm not really worried about NY .. where one billionare leaves, another takes it's place.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Boo hoo.. LOL .. really.. if he is paying 5millin in taxes.. he's making that a million times over.

Maybe if all the rich people leave NY the housing prices will actually come down to what the AVERAGE American can actually afford.

for a long time NY has been pushing out the middle class because housing has reached far beyond the middle income families ability to afford.

i'm not really worried about NY .. where one billionare leaves, another takes it's place.
The very first response, boo hoo hoo.. You do understand that this will be $13,000 a DAY that can not be spent to help the poor, dont you?

Old 05-18-2009, 11:55 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,016,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The very first response, boo hoo hoo.. You do understand that this will be $13,000 a DAY that can not be spent to help the poor, dont you?

Anyone who is taxed $13,000 a day makes so much money that really.. it makes no difference. He makes more than he could every possibly use in his entire lifetime and it keeps growing. I have very little sympathy. And that $13,000 is not guarantted to go to the poor if it wasn't collected for taxes

I just can't have much sympathy for that person. that is , of course, a lot of money. . but everything is relative.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,248,937 times
Quote:
Anyone who is taxed $13,000 a day makes so much money that really.. it makes no difference. He makes more than he could every possibly use in his entire lifetime and it keeps growing. I have very little sympathy. And that $13,000 is not guarantted to go to the poor if it wasn't collected for taxes

I just can't have much sympathy for that person. that is , of course, a lot of money. . but everything is relative.
I think this is a really short-sighted view... there comes a time when the level of taxes will become so high that the individual is incented to move... now, clearly, the 3% rise in the Obama budget to Clinton levels is nowhere near that breaking point but NYS is something else entirely. The tax burden in that state is incredible and the only reason taxes have to go up so much is that the state government is run by a bunch of morons and has been since the 80's...

Old 05-18-2009, 12:10 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,448,563 times
Default Know what I think?

I think that after they've paid their taxes, millionaires are still millionaires.

And whining is undignified.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:15 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,846,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I think that after they've paid their taxes, millionaires are still millionaires.

And whining is undignified.
You are missing the point by a large margin.

Raising taxes on the rich sends em packin' for lower tax states therefore the state actually loses money as a result. That is what is called ironic.
When Massachusetts implements taxes, the citizens simply slip over the border into New Hampshire and purchase their goods there. So not only do they not get the money from the tax increase but they lose the money they were getting before.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:15 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,533,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I think this is a really short-sighted view... there comes a time when the level of taxes will become so high that the individual is incented to move... now, clearly, the 3% rise in the Obama budget to Clinton levels is nowhere near that breaking point but NYS is something else entirely.
Taxes are being raised by two points. Not what I'd call a "breaking point." I have a feeling this move may be political rather than financial.
Quote:
The tax burden in that state is incredible and the only reason taxes have to go up so much is that the state government is run by a bunch of morons and has been since the 80's...
I'm not quite convinced. Add "ugly" to "morons," and then I'd swallow your argument.

This isn't feudal Europe. We can't allow ourselves to be held hostage by the "lords." Let him go. Good riddance.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:

The fact that he has more money than he could ever spend, isnt the point. The point is that if you tax people to the point that it does matter, they simply move. In this case, you claim it doesnt matter, obviously the one paying the taxes disagrees, and after all, its his money, he chooses to keep it. Moving will probably save him $2-$3M a year which will not be going into governments pocket to help those who "depend" upon the government to live. This is another $2-$3M deficit that the NY government needs to make up, and the only way to make this up is to then lower the threashhold on who pays taxes, i.e. raise taxes on the middle class, or cut services that benefit the poor, even better, thats $2-$3M that will go to another states pocketbook..

Tell me what programs you think should be cut to now make up for the $5M a year he will not be giving NY in taxes..

Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,448,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
You are missing the point by a large margin.
No, this is a whining thread.

Quote:
Raising taxes on the rich sends em packin' for lower tax states therefore the state actually loses money as a result. That is what is called ironic.
When Massachusetts implements taxes, the citizens simply slip over the border into New Hampshire and purchase their goods there. So not only do they not get the money from the tax increase but they lose the money they were getting before.

The poor rich!

They have it so hard in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies