Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 AM

703 posts, read 2,945,261 times

Advertisements

Well they're getting bolder and bolder

Iraqi official: Iranians seized Iraqi oil well - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091218/ap_on_bi_ge/ml_iraq_iran_oil - broken link)

I just can't helped, but think how Iran would have been so much more 'contained' if and only if Saddam Hussein was still alive and in control of Iraq. Probably would have been easier for an Iraqi to infiltrate and perhaps sabotage those nuclear reactors, etc. With all the embargoes and restrictions, Saddam was basically rendered impotent against the rest of the world (i.e. U.S. and Europe) except Iran. Now there's no one who is actually willing to step up nose-to-nose and stare down Iran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:29 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,159,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
Well they're getting bolder and bolder

Iraqi official: Iranians seized Iraqi oil well - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091218/ap_on_bi_ge/ml_iraq_iran_oil - broken link)

I just can't helped, but think how Iran would have been so much more 'contained' if and only if Saddam Hussein was still alive and in control of Iraq. Probably would have been easier for an Iraqi to infiltrate and perhaps sabotage those nuclear reactors, etc. With all the embargoes and restrictions, Saddam was basically rendered impotent against the rest of the world (i.e. U.S. and Europe) except Iran. Now there's no one who is actually willing to step up nose-to-nose and stare down Iran.
I'm not sure why anyone would think that Iraq could or would depose Iran. It's not like Saddam had any measure of military infrastructure superior to Iran's military. Sure, they were enemies, and perhaps Saddam was a thorn in Iran's side, but I don't think that would have stopped Iran from nefarious activity.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:30 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,210,427 times
And the weekly booga booga on Iran will be followed this action...

Old 12-18-2009, 03:09 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,935,887 times
the headline is slightly different from a report:
BAGHDAD – Iranian troops crossed into Iraqi territory and seized an oil well that lies in a disputed area along the two countries' southern border, Iraq's deputy foreign minister said Friday.

evidently this oil well is in disputed territory, so i say NOT OUR PROBLEM. it's not like we got any oil deals when we were over there helping them anyhow and, as a matter of fact, they charged us more for their oil at the time.

i saw an article from 2006 on exactly how much that war actually costs americans. http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle15499.htm

A major contributor to this long-term cost is the medical care and disability benefits provided to veterans. More than one million U.S. troops have now served in Iraq. And once they leave, each is entitled to a long list of benefits for the remainder of his or her life. Veterans can apply for compensation for any disabling injury or disease (physical or mental) that occurred on active duty or any existing condition that was made worse by military service. Benefits are based on the extent of the disability, ranging from 10 percent to 100 percent. And, because some medical problems do not become apparent right away, claims are likely to be filed for years after the war is over.

There are 2.6 million veterans currently receiving disability pay, including a SOBERING 40% OF THE SOLDIERS WHO SERVED DURING THE 4 WEEK GULF WAR in 1991. Accrued liabilities for U.S. federal employees’ and veterans’ benefits now total $4.5 trillion. Indeed, our debt for veterans’ health and disability payments has risen by $228 billion in the past year alone.

that is just one statistic from 2006, so can you imagine what the cost is now, especially combined with the afghanistan war? these wars are killing our soldiers and crippling our economy.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:17 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,524,050 times
sooner or later Iran will have to be dealt with. I say this more from the humanitarian and rights perspective than nuclear. who knows, the big brother U.S., or Israel. Its coming and soon.

Iran Women's Hell (Iran Press Service)

Iran: Ban concerned by treatment of women, juvenile executions

Iran Human Rights

Clinton's Iran Comments Irk Israel : NPR

and on and on and on

Old 12-18-2009, 03:33 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,935,887 times
why is the united states supposed to be the world's policeman? let the people rise up and fight against oppression in their own country! NOT OUR PROBLEM.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:52 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,258,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
why is the united states supposed to be the world's policeman? let the people rise up and fight against oppression in their own country! NOT OUR PROBLEM.
They tried and were shot down in the streets..

But I agree that is not our problem..

This is a graphic video...be warned...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVR2r...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies