Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy that the Senate has passed the health care bill?
Yes 19 19.79%
No 65 67.71%
Not sure 12 12.50%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 05:25 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

Senate Democrats passed a landmark health care bill early Thursday morning that could define President Barack Obama's legacy and usher in near-universal medical coverage for the first time in U.S. history.

Senate passes historic health care legislation - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com

It's a historic day. I predict that we'll look back on this date in the future and wonder how people could have been against expanding health care access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 05:27 AM

114 posts, read 127,622 times
Ugh, I'm sick!

At least now I can rely on other Americans to subsidize my medical care if I choose to stop working.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:36 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's a historic day. I predict that we'll look back on this date in the future and wonder how people could have been against expanding health care access.
Agreed.

The bill could have been better, but it's a huge step forward.

BUT, perhaps the most difficult task still remains ... the House and Senate agreeing on a final form for the bill. There are major differences between the two, and it will be interesting to see what happens. The House has much more flexibility since it doesn't have to worry about a filibuster from the Party of No, but to what degree will they be willing to go along with the Senate version?

Old 12-24-2009, 05:39 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
it's going to be a happy day for wall street and a sad day for main street, as usual.

can you say SELLOUT?

Old 12-24-2009, 05:40 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
This is nothing close to what was needed. A watered down, corporate backed bill is not what was needed. Thank you GOP and Blue Brains. ()

So I went with "not sure" bordering No.
(but not No just because of being against the bill from the start, but No since it has morphed into something completely different from what is needed and wanted)

Old 12-24-2009, 05:44 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
I am happy but I would be happier if they take away the Nebraska Cornhusker and the Medicare Advantage for only three states clauses... keep in mind they still haven't "passed" final legislation yet so things may change and apparently it won't be until two months from now that "maybe" things will be done... so we will see....

Old 12-24-2009, 05:52 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
[i]Senate Democrats passed a landmark health care bill early Thursday morning..................... I predict that we'll look back on this date in the future and wonder how people could have been against expanding health care access.
they did no such thing...that bill had NOTHING to do with health CARE

it doesnt do anything to lower the cost of health care....or to make health care better.......

insurance is not care

Old 12-24-2009, 05:53 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am happy but I would be happier if they take away the Nebraska Cornhusker and the Medicare Advantage for only three states clauses... keep in mind they still haven't "passed" final legislation yet so things may change and apparently it won't be until two months from now that "maybe" things will be done... so we will see....
I question the 'fairness' of an only 3 state thing.......again new york gets the screws

Old 12-24-2009, 05:54 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumandcoke View Post
Ugh, I'm sick!

At least now I can rely on other Americans to subsidize my medical care if I choose to stop working.
That has always been the case.

I don't usually support such measures, but it takes a weight off my shoulders knowing that I won't have to sell the house and 401K to pay for medical bills when the insurcnace cap is reached. I also like the removal of pre-existing conditions clause and the insurance exchange idea.

Now that the bill has passed and if they pass it again in the house, I think people will be happy with it once the misinfo and anti-HC bill propaganda melts away and people realize what the bill does for people and businesses.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:01 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Agreed.

The bill could have been better, but it's a huge step forward.

BUT, perhaps the most difficult task still remains ... the House and Senate agreeing on a final form for the bill. There are major differences between the two, and it will be interesting to see what happens. The House has much more flexibility since it doesn't have to worry about a filibuster from the Party of No, but to what degree will they be willing to go along with the Senate version?
Agreed. But I don't think it will be as hard as many are saying to get a final bill thru Conference. There will be some give and take, but mostly in favor of the Senate bill side. The Democrats will not allow this opportunity, however flawed, to be missed. Historians will make this process as the beginning of many, very needed steps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies