Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:43 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times

Advertisements

Here are more of Graham's words:

"I have 12 percent unemployment in South Carolina. My state's on its knees. I have 31% African-American population in South Carolina."

"We've got it tough. We're on our knees, 12% of our people are unemployed and 31% of our people are black."

"My state, with 30% African-American citizens, a lot of low income people in South Carolina, is going to cost my state a billion dollars, that's the same old stuff that I object to. That's not change we can believe in. That's sleazy."

Graham has proven what I've said all along, that a LOT of the opposition to health care is that a LOT of whites don't want to support something that may help a black person. For saying those things, I've been accused of playing the race card by several posters, but it is the sad truth. I appreciate Senator Graham betraying his racist feelings. I guess he doesn't count those citizens of his state as his constituents. Graham is the sleazy one. Palin fans will love him for those remarks.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 04:44 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,535,448 times
Default #s

Grahams #s were down and SC talk radio was putting him down. But good ole Lindsey knows how to bring out the conservative vote in this state yes sir. Hell win in a landslide now and talk radio will be loving him tommorow morning

Old 12-23-2009, 05:22 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Grahams #s were down and SC talk radio was putting him down. But good ole Lindsey knows how to bring out the conservative vote in this state yes sir. Hell win in a landslide now and talk radio will be loving him tommorow morning
SC talk radio was putting him down? i thought that they liked that stuff down there. He's just gotta show that he's the white man's champion and he'll win in a landslide.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:37 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Did he say anything that was inaccurate?

All I see is out of context blather that's really much ado about nothing.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here are more of Graham's words:

"I have 12 percent unemployment in South Carolina. My state's on its knees. I have 31% African-American population in South Carolina."

"We've got it tough. We're on our knees, 12% of our people are unemployed and 31% of our people are black."

"My state, with 30% African-American citizens, a lot of low income people in South Carolina, is going to cost my state a billion dollars, that's the same old stuff that I object to. That's not change we can believe in. That's sleazy."

Graham has proven what I've said all along, that a LOT of the opposition to health care is that a LOT of whites don't want to support something that may help a black person. For saying those things, I've been accused of playing the race card by several posters, but it is the sad truth. I appreciate Senator Graham betraying his racist feelings. I guess he doesn't count those citizens of his state as his constituents. Graham is the sleazy one. Palin fans will love him for those remarks.
You can't be serious. There is absolutely nothing racist about anything he said. He spoke the truth. The state has a high percentage of black citizens and a high percentage of low income people. Those are facts. He was not saying that black people will cost his state a billion dollars. Lindsey Graham believes the healthcare bill will disproportionately cost his state more money because of the favors other states were given (ie. bought votes) because someone will have to foot the bill for Nebraska, Louisiana, Connecticut, and Vermont. He believes his constituency....the high percentage of black folks and low income people he spoke of....will be disproportionately affected.

I saw the exchange on TV when he said it. I know what i'm talking about.

I implore you to tell us what was racist OR inaccurate about his statement. You simply cannot do it.

You have no idea how ridiculous you sound promoting inaccuracies on this forum.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 12-23-2009 at 06:59 PM..

Old 12-23-2009, 07:24 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
The unfunded state mandates (well, except for Nebraska) are going to kill a lot of states. Not a fan of Senator Graham but the statistics show more black people are unemployed than whites. For blacks, the November 2009 unemployment number was 15.6%. (Note: It's 12.7% for Hispanics but Senator Graham probably didn't mention them because that population is probably not so large in South Carolina)

Unemployment, black unemployment fell slightly last month - The Daily Voice - Black America's Daily News Source (http://thedailyvoice.com/voice/2009/12/unemployment-black-unemploymen-002437.php - broken link)

Therefore, states with a higher percentage of black population, probably also have a higher percentage of people in the state who need Medicaid now. That means Obamacare will cost South Carolina more than a state like Nebraska. That means South Carolina taxpayers are going to pony up in state taxes because the federal government is pushing this on them. Tax increases don't ask what color you are so blacks, whites, hispanics will likely be paying more state taxes. Unfunded state mandates are so you can think your Governor is the bad guy and not your President or Congress.

Graham was just talking math.

Perhaps Ms Maddow and Ms Huffypost can talk about why this President isn't trying harder to figure out why there is disparity in black and white unemployment numbers and do something about it. I'd think black folks would be more concerned with that. Oh wait, they are concerned.

"The Congressional Black Caucus, meanwhile, continued to prod the White House and Congress to do more for unemployed black people, spending a late night on the House floor reading flowery resolutions to an empty chamber about their districts' troubles."

washingtonpost.com

Like we all said. The priority should have been J-O-B-S not Obamacare.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The unfunded state mandates (well, except for Nebraska) are going to kill a lot of states. Not a fan of Senator Graham but the statistics show more black people are unemployed than whites. For blacks, the November 2009 unemployment number was 15.6%. (Note: It's 12.7% for Hispanics but Senator Graham probably didn't mention them because that population is probably not so large in South Carolina)

Unemployment, black unemployment fell slightly last month - The Daily Voice - Black America's Daily News Source (http://thedailyvoice.com/voice/2009/12/unemployment-black-unemploymen-002437.php - broken link)

Therefore, states with a higher percentage of black population, probably also have a higher percentage of people in the state who need Medicaid now. That means Obamacare will cost South Carolina more than a state like Nebraska. That means South Carolina taxpayers are going to pony up in state taxes because the federal government is pushing this on them. Tax increases don't ask what color you are so blacks, whites, hispanics will likely be paying more state taxes. Unfunded state mandates are so you can think your Governor is the bad guy and not your President or Congress.

Graham was just talking math.

Perhaps Ms Maddow and Ms Huffypost can talk about why this President isn't trying harder to figure out why there is disparity in black and white unemployment numbers and do something about it. I'd think black folks would be more concerned with that. Oh wait, they are concerned.

"The Congressional Black Caucus, meanwhile, continued to prod the White House and Congress to do more for unemployed black people, spending a late night on the House floor reading flowery resolutions to an empty chamber about their districts' troubles."

washingtonpost.com

Like we all said. The priority should have been J-O-B-S not Obamacare.
Just when you think there are a few somewhat intelligent liberals on this forum, they show up on a thread like this and prove us all wrong. The words of Lindsey Graham were horribly misconstrued to satisfy the liberal agenda.

Thank you for injecting fact and logic into this debate.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:55 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,535,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
SC talk radio was putting him down? i thought that they liked that stuff down there. He's just gotta show that he's the white man's champion and he'll win in a landslide.
No, you have to understand LG was trying to come to the center but talk radio dawged him at every turn. Now that he has made that comment they will come striaght to his defense. Thats what I meant. I can hear Russ and Lisa now "LG is a good man I was wrong about him he really gets it". Oh yeah they do love stuff like that

Last edited by enemy country; 12-23-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 12-23-2009, 10:36 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,805 times
I understand the point Graham is trying to make, but he could have made it without the racist undertone. He has a valid point, poorer areas/states that already lack in extensive healthcare networks are going to have significant trouble coping with demand if a single payer system was introduced. What good is having free healthcare if you cannot access it?

Sen. Graham has just made the case for national healthcare, since South Carolina alone could not afford to support so many people below the poverty line without federal funds. Fortunately we have several blue states that are just dying to subsidize us.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:50 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
If 46.7 percent under age of 65 that are on Medicaid are white and 45.3 percent under age of 65 on Medicaid are black in the state of South Carolina - it seems burden to the state is pretty much equal among the races. So what's his point? other than he has a lot of poor people in his state. What has Graham done to address the poverty in his state?
So what is the black/white ratio in the state. You have really told us nothing.

Some of you are not in positions to see what some of us saw on a daily basis in our jobs. There are lots of government programs--most of them unnecessary in my opinion, to help people in different situations. Some of these are good and needed for people to be able to eat and have housing and there are not enough of those.

We have a lot of people who are in the business of seeing how much they can get the government to give them. I know of one person who started a computer school in our community to teach people how to use computers and she didn't even know how to use them herself, but there was a grant for starting a computer school. Her students were ripped off and the government was too.

For those of you who do not know: We have a corrupt government that is ripping off everybody that goes to work and works hard everyday and pays their bill and their taxes. Maybe that is what Senator Graham was addressing.

Some of those who rip off the government are community organizers. If we could stop the waste and the freeloading in our country, our country might have a chance, but we who foot the bill are becoming fewer and fewer and the freeloaders are more and more and this administration encourages them to do it.

There are grant books in the library and one communtiy leader had many people searching through those grant books, not to see if they could get money for a project they had thought of, but how to get money from the government by starting something the government paid money for in these grants. And we have people going out of businesses they have started because the taxes are so high they cannot make a living and pay the taxes the government charges and this health plan will put many businesses out of business because of the health care and other freeloading.

Thank you Senator Graham for speaking up for those of us who pay their own way. We need more senators speaking out for those of us who foot the bill and fewer people encouraging the freeloaders so they can get more votes the next time by those who do nothing beyond going to vote.

Last edited by NCN; 12-23-2009 at 11:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies