Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your econo-political bend?
Socially liberal, economically liberal. 5 12.82%
Socially liberal, economically conservative. 19 48.72%
Socially conservative, economically liberal. 4 10.26%
Socially conservative, economically conservative. 11 28.21%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,365,410 times

Advertisements

This poll is for members of the Internet Generation only, and more specifically, those who can vote in the United States (so, people born between 1980 and 1991). If you are older, or younger, this is not intended for you. I'm seeking a non-scientific poll result for some research I'm doing. If you are foreign to the USA, this poll is not intended for you, though outside comments are welcome if you fit in the age group.

I was reading Wikipedia today and found an assertion that the Internet Generation is more socially liberal than prior generations. Do you agree with this?

Do you support "marriage equality" for the LBGT community?

Do you support a different tax structure than what is currently in place?

Do you see the election of Barack Obama as the "coming of age" of our generation? If you do not mind my asking and feel OK to answer, how did you vote in the last election?

Do you use Facebook or Myspace or another social networking website?

Do you have multiple piercings / studs? How about tatoos?

I'll answer my own questions:
1) I do agree with this assertion. Many of even my more conservative friends think that most people of our generation are more socially liberal and will likely stay that way.

2) I do agree with "marriage equality" ... and it's sort of personal too.

3) I do think a more progressive tax structure, like a flat tax is needed.

4) I think Obama's election was more of a rejection of the Republican party than anything else, and not necessarily a "coming of age" for our generation. If anything, many in our generation are delaying "grown-up" responsibilities, like raising families, getting a job, settling down, etc. I voted mostly Democratic in the last election.

5) I do use Facebook. I also plan on joining Mixi once I learn more Japanese.

6) I do not have any piercings or tatoos, though I have been tempted to get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:00 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,777,435 times
I was born in 1984. I voted socially liberally economically conservative.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,068,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Sure/don't care.

Quote:
Not really. The tax system I am supportive of probably wouldn't work, anyway. I am extremely supportive of increased gas taxes and taxes on carbon emissions.

Quote:
Do you see the election of Barack Obama as the "coming of age" of our generation? If you do not mind my asking and feel OK to answer, how did you vote in the last election?
Sort of / No answer.

Quote:
I have an account. I don't use it for much of anything.

Quote:
Nope, just scars.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Quote:
This poll is for members of the Internet Generation only, and more specifically, those who can vote in the United States (so, people born between 1980 and 1991). If you are older, or younger, this is not intended for you. I'm seeking a non-scientific poll result for some research I'm doing. If you are foreign to the USA, this poll is not intended for you, though outside comments are welcome if you fit in the age group.

I was reading Wikipedia today and found an assertion that the Internet Generation is more socially liberal than prior generations. Do you agree with this?

I'll answer my own questions:
1) I do agree with this assertion. Many of even my more conservative friends think that most people of our generation are more socially liberal and will likely stay that way.

2) I do agree with "marriage equality" ... and it's sort of personal too.

3) I do think a more progressive tax structure, like a flat tax is needed.

4) I think Obama's election was more of a rejection of the Republican party than anything else, and not necessarily a "coming of age" for our generation. If anything, many in our generation are delaying "grown-up" responsibilities, like raising families, getting a job, settling down, etc. I voted mostly Democratic in the last election.

5) I do use Facebook. I also plan on joining Mixi once I learn more Japanese.

6) I do not have any piercings or tatoos, though I have been tempted to get them.
1. I think so, but not much more liberal than Generation X.

2. I don't agree with the so-called (and misnamed) "marriage equality". Marriage is between one man and one woman. Anything else is deviant and not really "marriage", even if they say it is.

3. I haven't really thought about it.

4. No, approval of Bush was at an all-time low when Obama was elected, and presumably many who voted or would have voted for Bush in 2004 voted for Obama in 2008.

5. Yes, I do use it (and use it a lot!)

6. Nope.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:26 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,331,463 times
I'm more of a Gen X'er.

1. Can't speak for the Internet Generation group.
2. Marriage is between a man and woman, period. I am all for civil unions, but get rid of the term "marriage". They would garner a lot more support if they stopped trying to call it marriage. JMO.
3. I'm fine with the current tax structure but open to new ideas. I think if corporations in particular were held to the same accountability in paying tax liabilities, we'd be much better off overall. Too many large corporations fail to pay their fair share of taxes by skirting laws.
4. Obama had some great political campaign speeches which really spoke to the populace who was sick of the fiscal disregard rampant in Washington. So far, he's done nothing to get rid of the waste in congress, and has gone even more in the direction of wasteful spending than previous administrations. I did not vote for Obama, but he's much worse than I would have expected.
5. Not a lot, some.
6. Nope, unless you count pierced ears.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:39 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,720,449 times
Quote:

1. Yes, though all my evidence for this is purely anecdotal

2. Absolutely. Religion should be separate from the government, and I've never heard a reason against "marriage equality" that did not invoke religion (and I don't buy the "it'll destroy the sanctity of marriage" argument, heterosexuals have done a good enough job of that by themselves). Whether a religious community marries same sex couples is purely up to them, but in the legal sense I have no issue with granting the same rights to all couples. I've also heard arguments to get rid of "legal" marriage all together and have civil unions for everyone (marriage would be purely a religious or spiritual union), which actually didn't sound half bad to me either.

3. Don't know, haven't really looked into it. At this point I'm happy to just get my tax returns out correctly and on time.

4. I didn't really see it as a "coming of age". More than anything I found it interesting. I always knew that we'd elect a black or female president one day, just always wondered what would come first (and when). I voted for Obama. McCain disappointed me and Palin scared the crap out of me, so I just couldn't do it.

5. Facebook

6. Used to have a nose piercing, but that's about all I could handle with my fear of needles. Most of my friends in college had various piercings (which have since been mostly removed for work) and tattoos.

Born in 1985, voted socially liberal, fiscally conservative in the poll.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
I think there should be an "other" category for those of us who are in the middle. But, meh.

I was born in 1987

Of course. Civil Unions for all.

A flat tax across the board for all forms of income (whether a paycheck or investment income, etc, etc, etc)

I voted for myself because both candidates were the same: BAD

I have a Facebook.

I have one "normal" piercing in each year. No studs, no tats.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,777,435 times
Quote:
Couldn't care one way or the other.

Quote:
Its very confusing right now, so yes.

Quote:
No, Obama was a backlash against Bush.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
No, and I don't understand the appeal of them anymore.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:33 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times
[quote=eskercurve;12203843]

Generally, yes.

Yes. Give all rights of marriage to LBGT (and polygamous relationships), or remove rights of marriage from everyone.

I support higher taxes on every individual in order to pay for better programs concerning health, education, public transit, etc.

No, Obama is not a "coming of age" of our generation. He's simply Bush Lite at this point. However, I did vote for him, and I still have some hope left.

Yes.

Eyebrow piercing, trying to talk the wife into letting me get snake bites. Going to eventually get tattoos.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,093,726 times

NO. I believe the gay community has contributed most to the moral decay in society.

I would like to see a flat tax with NO loopholes.

I see hussein obama as the coming of the age of decay for America. This man was elected because of the groupie mentality in our society even though it was clear he was a man tied to criminals, communists, racists, bigots and haters of America. I voted for McCain as a vote against hussein obama. He would not have been my choice.

No

None
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies