Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 12:31 PM

20,365 posts, read 19,980,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"veteran" is the new "superhero" and apparently can do no wrong.
Many have a soft spot in their hearts for veterans and hold them in high regard, as a whole.

Others feel that way about celebrities and certain politicians.

It's a human thing, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 12:52 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,298,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Many have a soft spot in their hearts for veterans and hold them in high regard, as a whole.

Others feel that way about celebrities and certain politicians.

It's a human thing, I guess.
I think it's better to just look at the person regardless of lables they carry. Some are soft-spot worthy, others are not.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:39 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,321,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It means he knows how to use a gun.
Not necessarily.

And if he were in the military 60 years ago, his skills may be a little rusty.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Who knew?
I must be a superhero(ine)!

How do they reconcile veterans who are not what they want them to be?
Psst, that would be me and a lot of the other veterans on this board.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,252,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Who knew?
I must be a superhero(ine)!

How do they reconcile veterans who are not what they want them to be?
Psst, that would be me and a lot of the other veterans on this board.
Well Chiel for what its worth you don't disappoint me at all. We disagree most of the time but you are exactly why I served. The freedom to express oneself without regard to whats popular, or PC or even party line.
Most soldiers past and present are average everyday people.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:50 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,284,358 times
Quote:
Blood lust much?

I'm glad he did what he did, and glad nobody got "killed" for your entertainment pleasure.
Not blood lust, but simply the fact that a dead thug cannot commit more crimes. Do you think these guys will have an epiphany and become good productive citizens after this, or will they continue with a life of crime? Had he shot one dead, it is certain that the latter will not be true.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:53 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,663,931 times
Quote:
While it is true that veterans have come to be much more respected in the last twenty years, 'superhero' is a bit over the top. Combat service does not make a person superhuman, quite the opposite, it tends to show a persons mortal humanity starkly. The man in the story is one of the 'great generation' of vets. His combat experience may , very well, have been the difference between life and death, or not, but lets not demean his service to our country, or anyone elses, by disdaining veterans with contemptuous statements such as this quoted post. At any rate, veteran or not, he acted properly, and ran off a couple varmints. Who knows, maybe he scared em' straight

Old 12-30-2009, 01:06 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,462,713 times
Quote:
i'm not sure exactly where you are getting that idea from. but feel free to enlighten us as to what he did wrong in defending his own life and property from armed robbers.

i'm a vet; in certain areas, i feel like i am treated pretty well––in others, not so much. let's just say that i'm glad i don't live in certain areas of california.

i'm just glad that vets aren't universally treated like the crap stuck to the boot of humanity anymore. the men and women that served honorably in wwI, wwII, korea, and vietnam all have my particular admiration.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The man in the story is one of the 'great generation' of vets. His combat experience may , very well, have been the difference between life and death, or not, but lets not demean his service to our country, or anyone elses, by disdaining veterans with contemptuous statements such as this quoted post. At any rate, veteran or not, he acted properly, and ran off a couple varmints. Who knows, maybe he scared em' straight
That was my point, it made no difference to the story if he was or was not a veteran.
There is a certain faction, especially on CD that believe veterans are special. This is not so. Everyone has a personal reason to join the military, most not altruistic.

I'm a pacifist, anti-war veteran.
Sometimes it makes their heads explode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i'm not sure exactly where you are getting that idea from. but feel free to enlighten us as to what he did wrong in defending his own life and property from armed robbers.

i'm a vet; in certain areas, i feel like i am treated pretty well––in others, not so much. let's just say that i'm glad i don't live in certain areas of california.

i'm just glad that vets aren't universally treated like the crap stuck to the boot of humanity anymore. the men and women that served honorably in wwI, wwII, korea, and vietnam all have my particular admiration.
How would people even know you were a vet, unless you tell them?
She didn't say he did anything wrong and she was responding to MY post about the relevance of mentioning that he was a veteran.

Like tinman said, most are just regular people. Nothing special.

This flag-waving garbage that because someone served their opinion or actions are not debatable or are special is absurd.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:38 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,102,294 times
25 years murder-free in 'Gun Town USA'

25 years murder-free
in 'Gun Town USA'
Crime rate plummeted after law
required firearms for residents

Criminals are less likely to enter a home where there is a good chance they will get shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies