Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:58 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
It would be an amazing turn of events if people like Dodd or Reid lose their seats to republicans. No matter how much you wish to deny it
What exactly am I denying?

Quote:
Wait for when people have to actually start paying taxes for this health care bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 06:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Will these republicans have a plan or is it just to "sink any major Democratic initiatives" on principal? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
If Republicans don't pick up seats, I think it would be a shock to any Democrat. Anyone who knows anything about political history knows that the Democratic majority is saturated due to two sweeping reform elections and now it will swing back to a more balanced state.

Why do you think Obama's pushing all his important legislation through now?

I think Obama's true greatness will emerge when he has to balance the demands of the right and the left. He's very good at it when he needs to be.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:02 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Interesting, since it was Republicans who seriously threatened to eliminate the filibuster when they were in control of the Senate. I wonder how they'd react if Democrats threatened to eliminate it now.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Interesting, since it was Republicans who seriously threatened to eliminate the filibuster when they were in control of the Senate. I wonder how they'd react if Democrats threatened to eliminate it now.
To McCain's credit, I remember when Republicans were naive enough to think they were going to have a multi-generational majority and were voting to do away with the filibuster.

McCain got up and said, "Ya know, we might need this at some point." Sure enough, within 5 years they had used more filibusters than any Congress in history.

Unbelievable how blinded by power people can become. That McCain would have been a good president - not the guy who ran, though.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:09 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,317,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
If Republicans don't pick up seats, I think it would be a shock. Anyone who knows anything about political history knows that the Democratic majority is saturated due to two sweeping reform elections and now it will swing back to a more balanced state.

I think Obama's true greatness will emerge when he has to balance the demands of the right and the left. He's very good at it when he needs to be.
I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion of Obama being a great bi-partisan deal maker?
Can you provide us some specific examples?

But I agree with you on two points you mentioned,one of needing balance and two, the fact that Obama is exhibiting urgency in getting his radical agenda through before that can take place.

Last edited by allydriver; 12-30-2009 at 07:18 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 07:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
If Republicans don't pick up seats, I think it would be a shock to any Democrat. Anyone who knows anything about political history knows that the Democratic majority is saturated due to two sweeping reform elections and now it will swing back to a more balanced state.

On what basis do you make these statements? You have not witnessed Obama balancing the demands of the right and the left, so how can you even begin to make this proclmation? At this point in time, this is nothing but hearsay. Where do pull all the lofty diatribe from? It's certainly not from anything that happened since January 20, 2009.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion of Obama being a great bi-partisan deal maker?
Can you provide us some specific examples?

But I agree with you on two points you mentioned,one of needing balance and two, the fact that Obama is exhibiting urgency in getting his radical agenda through before that can take place.
I never said Obama's agenda is radical. Don't say you agree with me and then put loaded words in.

Saving capitalism, ramping up military efforts, gunning down terrorists, and operating from a left-of-center position is far from radical. He just knows that the Republicans will block anything in order to see him fail, so he wisely is using his super-majority while he has it.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
On what basis do you make these statements? You have not witnessed Obama balancing the demands of the right and the left, so how can you even begin to make this proclmation? At this point in time, this is nothing but hearsay. Where do pull all the lofty diatribe from? It's certainly not from anything that happened since January 20, 2009.
Sure it is. Look at how he's pissed off the far left and brought balance on a lot of policies - from military decisions to blue dogs on health care.

Not his fault Republicans are simply trying to undermine his presidency for the sake of power instead of offering solutions to our country.

He tried to work with them, but they failed him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies