Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you prefer to keep your money?
Big banks (Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc.) 6 33.33%
Small, community banks 7 38.89%
Credit unions 1 5.56%
Under the mattress, hidden somewhere at home 5 27.78%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

"There can be few institutions more despised as 2010 begins than big U.S. banks, but what can the average person do about it?

The answer, according to author and Huffington Post website co-founder Arianna Huffington: Withdraw your money."

Huffington Post targets big banks - latimes.com

I've thought about doing this from time to time, but I seem to be hooked to the conveniences of a major bank. Has anyone switched from a large bank to a community bank? If so, are you happy with the switch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 10:31 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
very happy with my small bank. named after my small town. no fees for anything, can talk to a human.2 blocks away

Old 12-31-2009, 10:33 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,287 times
I'm with BOA now which I despise. We'll be moving it back into a credit union next week actually.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:39 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,287 times
Clark Howard advises everyone to stay away from BOA!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
I'm with BOA now which I despise. We'll be moving it back into a credit union next week actually.
I'd be interested in hearing why you (or others) despise B of A.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:01 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Crappy customer service for starters. I've been inside my local branch twice in ten years and both times they were rude and a PITA to deal with. But obviously that's not the only reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Clark Howard advises everyone to stay away from BOA!
For what reasons?

Old 12-31-2009, 11:11 PM

63 posts, read 57,882 times
We use a small home town bank (what is not buried in the backyard) . Love them.

LOL

Old 12-31-2009, 11:23 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
Quote:
im interested how they wound up with my mortgage after 12 years.cant call them you only get a computer generated fake human. they dont even have an office withen hundreds of miles of my town.who are they? i dont know. gonna refi soon

Old 01-01-2010, 03:56 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
"There can be few institutions more despised as 2010 begins than big U.S. banks, but what can the average person do about it?

The answer, according to author and Huffington Post website co-founder Arianna Huffington: Withdraw your money."

I've thought about doing this from time to time, but I seem to be hooked to the conveniences of a major bank. Has anyone switched from a large bank to a community bank? If so, are you happy with the switch?

I keep 5k-10k at home, plus my stash of gold and silver, plus my firearms and such at home as well.

I keep very little money in any bank at all.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:10 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:

I have twice put my money in local community banks and regretted it. The last was the Bank of Newport in Newport Beach CA. It closed it's doors too, so now I have just given up and use Chase and BofA foe most of my dealings.

The funny thing is that I have never had fees with either bank yet I constantly hear people complaining about fees. What would these fees be because I have never been charged a fee for anything except for checks when I used the a while back and that was only BofA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies