Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:17 PM

303 posts, read 563,616 times

Advertisements

Why, oh why, do I attempt to reason with these people? I got into it today with one of them who is an otherwise decent human being. We are fine as long as I shut him down each time he wants to talk politics. Today I made the mistake of indulging him.

Long story short, I end up hating who he is when we "go there." He is one of these "well, GD it, I worked hard my whole life so why should I pay for anyone else's health insurance?" How I detest these types. What they don't acknowledge is that they have no issue with spending both their and MY money blowing up people to bits, but when it comes to advocating on behalf of LIFE, they are bereft of any soul. Things got so ridiculous he told me that until I took in a homeless person under my roof I was full of crap. Their train of thought boggles my mind and they cannot seem to understand civilized behavior.

Of course, he is one of these who says "Well, why don't you just move to X country if you don't like it here?" Of course, he also doesn't realize one doesn't just "move" to another country. It's not that easy. When I told him Germany would not be throwing their doors open to him with a gracious, "sure, why don't you come live in our country?" I think he was actually insulted. Countries DO have certain standards regarding who can emigrate. Oh, and I guess you can guess just which side of the aisle I am from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 05:22 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
I'm sure he's thinking the exact same way you are and thinks you're nuts. Some people despise military spending while others thumb their noses at the poor. It's just the way it is and the way it always will be.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:22 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Well they always say don't talk politics, religion, sex, or money in polite company.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well they always say don't talk politics, religion, sex, or money in polite company.
Like I said, I normally just shut things down as I tell him I do not want to argue. He then tells me it's not "arguing." Well, when I end up with my head spinning due to my blood pressure shooting up it is in the realm of arguing. At any rate, I despise this whole mentality and it's enough to make me just not want to have anything to do with him.

Hopefully, someone in this thread can enlighten me as to why it's polite and socially acceptable to expect my money to fund death and destruction, yet I am told to go live elsewhere for wanting my fellow Americans to have the same health care others enjoy. I despise this segment of this population. Just despise.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:32 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puglywump View Post
Why, oh why, do I attempt to reason with these people? I got into it today with one of them who is an otherwise decent human being. We are fine as long as I shut him down each time he wants to talk politics. Today I made the mistake of indulging him.

Long story short, I end up hating who he is when we "go there." He is one of these "well, GD it, I worked hard my whole life so why should I pay for anyone else's health insurance?" How I detest these types. What they don't acknowledge is that they have no issue with spending both their and MY money blowing up people to bits, but when it comes to advocating on behalf of LIFE, they are bereft of any soul. Things got so ridiculous he told me that until I took in a homeless person under my roof I was full of crap. Their train of thought boggles my mind and they cannot seem to understand civilized behavior.

Of course, he is one of these who says "Well, why don't you just move to X country if you don't like it here?" Of course, he also doesn't realize one doesn't just "move" to another country. It's not that easy. When I told him Germany would not be throwing their doors open to him with a gracious, "sure, why don't you come live in our country?" I think he was actually insulted. Countries DO have certain standards regarding who can emigrate. Oh, and I guess you can guess just which side of the aisle I am from.
You get frustrated because you don't understand the point. Nobody minds paying their tax money to provide a safety net for those who, for whatever reason, are unable to produce even what they need to survive.

The real question is, at what standard of living should my tax money support these non-productive individuals? They already have health care. They can go to the emergency room and by law cannot be turned away. Is this as good as my health care? No, nor should it be.

We also provide subsidies for food and shelter with our tax dollars. But am I supposed to pay even more so that these non-producers can eat lobster and filet mignon? I think not.

- Reel

Old 01-02-2010, 05:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Like I said, I normally just shut things down as I tell him I do not want to argue. He then tells me it's not "arguing." Well, when I end up with my head spinning due to my blood pressure shooting up it is in the realm of arguing. At any rate, I despise this whole mentality and it's enough to make me just not want to have anything to do with him.

Hopefully, someone in this thread can enlighten me as to why it's polite and socially acceptable to expect my money to fund death and destruction, yet I am told to go live elsewhere for wanting my fellow Americans to have the same health care others enjoy. I despise this segment of this population. Just despise.
Because it is the duty of the federal government, first and formost, to provide for the common defense. Sometimes, regretably, "death and destruction" are part of that duty.

If, by all means, you want your fellow Americans to enjoy the same healthcare that you enjoy; then by all means, feel free to pay the medical bills of as many people as you can afford out of your own pocket. Just don't come to my pocket and expect to steal what I have earned to provide to others what you think I should.

I give to a number of hospitals as part of my personal yearly tithe. When my government requires it of me; all that goes away as I will be taxed beyond what I can afford to give.

The difference between providing for healthcare is that people of your ideology think it is the right of the government to raid the wallets of citizens by force (known otherwise as theft) whereas someone who may disagree with your viewpoint believes the challenges of the current system can be solved without such government coersion.

If "death and destruction are so upsetting to you then why did you not voice your disagreement about the current bill's requirement of funding the "death and destruction" of unborn babies through elective abortion in your post?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:37 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
The OP might keep in mind that a large chunk of what is called "defense spending" -- to which s/he so strenuously objects -- goes toward providing food, shelter, and healthcare to military families.

And the ostensibly insensitive debating partner might profit by doing the same...

Old 01-02-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The OP might keep in mind that a large chunk of what is called "defense spending" -- to which s/he so strenuously objects -- goes toward providing food, shelter, and healthcare to military families.

And the ostensibly insensitive debating partner might profit by doing the same...
The debater in question is ex-military with MY tax dollars paying his pension and health care benefits for life! It's the whole "*********, I have mine - too bad if you don't" mentality.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:44 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Which in my opinion is a large part of the problem. From childhood many are taught this and never learn or gain an ability to discuss such topics without taking it all personally. When it comes impolite to disagree, it is indeed a sad time for us all.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
The debater in question is ex-military with MY tax dollars paying his pension and health care benefits for life! It's the whole "*********, I have mine - too bad if you don't" mentality.
'

So, you are upset because this individual served his/her country, pledged to uphold the Constitution, and earned that pension and those healthcare benefits by signing a contract with our government to place his/her life on the line at a moment's notice, because you don't deem his/her service to ensure your freedom as appropriate in exchange?

Did you consider that perhaps he/she has reason and perspective that others should also work for that pension and that healthcare like he/she did rather than to just have it handed over as an "entitlement"?

Are you able to grasp the difference between working and reaping the rewards of that work vs. not working and having it handed to someone at the expense of others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies