Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concern level:
Completely apathetic 42 30.00%
Little concern 13 9.29%
Moderately concerned 25 17.86%
Very Concerned 53 37.86%
Keeps me up at night 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,100,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
How moronic does that sound? Think about it, if they wanted to marry the opposite sex, they wouldn't be gay now would they? Talk about having your blinders on...

It is your response that is moronic. My answer was we ALL have the SAME rights to marry someone of the opposit sex which is a FACT. there is no discrimination. You do understand facts, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,802,305 times
Interesting how some don't care about it but when it comes up for a vote in their state, I'm sure they want to vote against gay rights. or when it came up for a vote in their state, I'm sure they voted against gay rights.

It's also interesting how those who claim to not care keep posting here..

In any case, gay rights is something I worry about.
One of my biggest fears is my girlfriend and I getting into an accident and I wouldn't have any rights to make medical decisions for her.

People can say I should go to an attorney and get all the stuff worked up but there are plenty of same-sex couples who have had the paperwork and everything only to not be able to make medical decisions for their spouse.

I acknowledge even if I my girlfriend and I were married, it wouldn't be guaranteed I could make medical decisions for her because it all boils down to what kind of nurses or doctors work in a particular hospital. Some could care less if you have the paperwork, they just can't get over that you're gay or lesbian and won't let you make the medical decision(s).

It's a lot of little things married heterosexuals take for granted when it comes to rights, privileges, etc.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,705,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It is your response that is moronic. My answer was we ALL have the SAME rights to marry someone of the opposit sex which is a FACT. there is no discrimination.
That is true, but that's why there's a movement to allow an expansion of rights so that people aren't limited to marrying someone of the opposite sex.

More freedom and more rights = more happiness.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That is true, but that's why there's a movement to allow an expansion of rights so that people aren't limited to marrying someone of the opposite sex.

Funny how those who are always talking about "liberty" and "freedom" seem to least understand it when it comes to the liberties and freedoms of gays and lesbians.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Interesting how some don't care about it but when it comes up for a vote in their state, I'm sure they want to vote against gay rights. or when it came up for a vote in their state, I'm sure they voted against gay rights.

It's also interesting how those who claim to not care keep posting here..

In any case, gay rights is something I worry about.
One of my biggest fears is my girlfriend and I getting into an accident and I wouldn't have any rights to make medical decisions for her.

People can say I should go to an attorney and get all the stuff worked up but there are plenty of same-sex couples who have had the paperwork and everything only to not be able to make medical decisions for their spouse.

I acknowledge even if I my girlfriend and I were married, it wouldn't be guaranteed I could make medical decisions for her because it all boils down to what kind of nurses or doctors work in a particular hospital. Some could care less if you have the paperwork, they just can't get over that you're gay or lesbian and won't let you make the medical decision(s).

It's a lot of little things married heterosexuals take for granted when it comes to rights, privileges, etc.

I would like to see some real proof of those claims. Gays a sue happy and if any of those fairy tales were true it would be all over the lame stream news.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:52 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,755,020 times
Quote:
It is your response that is moronic. My answer was we ALL have the SAME rights to marry someone of the opposit sex which is a FACT. there is no discrimination. You do understand facts, correct?
Again I ask you, why would I want to marry a female if that's not whom I'm attracted to and have feelings for? Would it be right for me to involve a girl, if I don't have feelings for her, and wouldn't it be kind of selfish of me to do so? Think about it and come back to me, genius....

Old 01-04-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I would like to see some real proof of those claims. Gays a sue happy and if any of those fairy tales were true it would be all over the lame stream news.
I thought you didn't care about gay rights.........

Lawsuit filed by same-sex couple involves TGH - Tampa Bay Business Journal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XeY7D45BU4

I truly hope you watch the video but something tells me you won't. You wouldn't dare want anything to prove you wrong.

For Gays, It Happens All the Time

Quote:
"It certainly resonates with us," said Buckel, director of marriage-related activities for Lambda Legal. "If folks look at this situation and see that a spouse is struggling to carry out the wishes of his loved one, imagine what folks face when they don't even have access to the spousal relationship because they can't get married."
Just such a situation landed a lesbian couple in the national spotlight 20 years ago, after a drunk driver slammed into a car driven by Sharon Kowalski, then 27, leaving her comatose. Kowalski's longtime partner, Karen Thompson, then 37, a physical education teacher at St. Cloud State University in Minnesota, sued Kowalski's parents for guardianship after they refused to recognize the women's relationship, blocked Thompson from visiting Kowalski, and disagreed with Thompson on Kowalski's care.
After a bitter legal battle lasting nearly a decade, a court sided with Thompson. She still cares for Kowalski, who emerged from her coma with severe brain damage and other physical problems.
Gay-rights groups had hoped the case would mark a turning point in their effort to have more say over partners' medical treatment, but it hasn't always worked that way. While some states such as California, Vermont and New Jersey grant medical decision-making rights to registered domestic partners, most, including New York, offer limited rights or none at all.
Partners of gay hospital patients often can't even visit, much less make life-and-death decisions for their loved ones, particularly if blood relatives object, said Carissa Cunningham of Gay&Lesbian Advocates&Defenders, a Boston-based group.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

Thanks for acknowledging facts.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 PM

981 posts, read 807,944 times
Quote:
Thanks for acknowledging facts.
They are not facts. Your comment was deliberately skewed because you did not make an exception for the existence of gay and lesbian couples, which completely rules out the possibility of them marrying someone of the opposite sex.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 PM

1,179 posts, read 977,059 times
Quote:
ZERO ZIP NADDA.

Why should we be concerned about who they want their sex with? Keep it in the bedroom.
That's pretty funny, since that's ALL the GOP seems to care about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies