Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times

Advertisements

In all of these threads, I keep reading about conservatives decrying political correctness. They are critical of people being politically correct about Muslims and feel that we should acknowledge the supposed truth that most Muslims support terrorism and anti-Western sentiment.

Yet these same people feel it's unfair when Southerners and residents of rural areas are stereotyped for being racist, homophobic and bigoted toward Non-Christians. It seems like a double standard. We shouldn't be PC toward Muslims but we should be PC toward Southerners and Rural residents? Why can't we admit they are in fact bigoted toward these groups? And why do liberal people from these areas deny that most of their populace feel this way? No one is saying that everyone from these areas are this way but I think it's pretty obvious a significant portion of their population is more this way than the rest of the country.

It's ironic that the biggest critics of political correctness suddenly clamor for it when the issue becomes about them. It's complete and utter hypocrisy. Sorry but you can't have it both ways. At least be fair about this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 12:43 PM

146 posts, read 149,594 times
The hypocrisy is you making this up. I have not seen any posts that say to walk on egg shells when talking about people from the south. What I have seen is people defending themsleves against the typical stereo types that the loons like to dish out. The argument for not lumping all muslims into the terrorist pile is there too. Where do you come up with such drivel?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortified View Post
The hypocrisy is you making this up. I have not seen any posts that say to walk on egg shells when talking about people from the south. What I have seen is people defending themsleves against the typical stereo types that the loons like to dish out. The argument for not lumping all muslims into the terrorist pile is there too. Where do you come up with such drivel?
There are several replies from Southerners claiming they are unfairly stereotyped. You and your 53 posts haven't been here long enough to observe that. Nice try!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:45 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,730 times
You can call me a knuckle dragging, bible thumping redneck. I won't mind. Words are just words. Which is why I have no problem referring to jihadist islamo-fascists in all the non-PC terms I can.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
You can call me a knuckle dragging, bible thumping redneck. I won't mind. Words are just words. Which is why I have no problem referring to jihadist islamo-fascists in all the non-PC terms I can.
I can accept that. At least you are not being a hypocrite and can admit those stereotypes are true regarding members from your area as well. All I ask is that if you are going to be non-PC then you can't whine when your group of people is being stereotyped

Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
There are several replies from Southerners claiming they are unfairly stereotyped. You and your 53 posts haven't been here long enough to observe that. Nice try!
But you are trying to correlate those posters with anit-Muslim posts. I've had lengthy discussions with you about your Southern stereotyping. That doesn't mean that I turn around and stereotype Muslims. In fact, many of us who have argued with you have also argued against stereotyping Muslims. So that would contradict your OP.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM

716 posts, read 1,120,177 times
OK, you've asked this before, but here are my ideas.

-It's hypocrisy both ways. On one hand, some liberals will say that stereotyping is wrong, and hurts society. Then they will turn around and say the south is full of inbred trailer trash. So they might just be getting called out on their own hypocrisy.

-They could be tolerant of Muslims, and don't like being lumped in with those who aren't.

Basically, it's wrong to stereotype any group. You are doing to the South the same thing that some people do to Muslims.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:51 PM

146 posts, read 149,594 times
PC is for babies and thin skinned whiners. How come we can not just deal with the truths of the matter?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
But you are trying to correlate those posters with anit-Muslim posts. I've had lengthy discussions with you about your Southern stereotyping. That doesn't mean that I turn around and stereotype Muslims. In fact, many of us who have argued with you have also argued against stereotyping Muslims. So that would contradict your OP.
That isn't true. You certainly have but I don't recall "many" other Southerners doing the same. You are also an unabashed and unobjective Southern apologist that says anything to defend the South so your words mean little to me since you have an agenda to defend the South at all costs. Others have brought up historical facts regarding the Civil Rights period implicating the South and in each instance, you fail to acknowledge those people were right.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortified View Post
PC is for babies and thin skinned whiners. How come we can not just deal with the truths of the matter?
Hey, I'm all for that, just make sure it goes both ways. If you are going to stereotype Muslims don't cry when you guys are stereotyped as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies