Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:54 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,315,558 times

Advertisements

I remember many of them. I also remember working as the box boy at Piggly Wiggly for tips. No hourly rate. I would make more than some of the cashiers. It was a great summer job. Two of us once delivered a huge order for a party and the guy tipped us $10 each. We thought we were kings that day. The early seventies was a great time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 02:54 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,200,343 times
Remember them all, seen them all, been/done/had all but two--the drive in church thing (seen them, but we had what was referred to as a "real" church) and, being male, never took part in the "out-of-town home for embarrassed mothers".

To speak to one of the OP's points, of course living like this shades how you see things. Living any particular way does. One point the OP raised was the ease of communication and media saturation perhaps making people who know nothing else more cynical...I think there is something to it. I think it also makes people so very impatient. How many of you have gotten an email, seen it for the first time, oh, maybe 1-2 hours after you had received it, got interrupted a dozen times, maybe even had to research the answer they were asking about, went to type and email the answer 3-4 hours after receiving it and see they've sent another email basically saying "WELL!? Why haven't you answered me!?" Seems to me if it was so blamed important, call me. I'm not sitting by waiting for your particular email. People want things handled NOW and unfortunately, much of the world just doesn't work that way.

There have been many studies showing how the media really colors our view of the world. For example, studies have shown that people who watch a lot of television news today have a more negative view of the world and believe that crime is much worse than it actually is and that the world is a much worse place than it used to be. This perception despite the fact that crime rates are lower now than in years. People have ALWAYS been as rotten, or as good, as they are today...it's just that if you lived in California, you didn't used to hear about the missing girl in NY....today you do.

Discussion about studies that show that people who depend solely upon tv for their news having considerably less understanding of issues in depth is a topic for another discussion.

So, yeah, communication and media does influence how you view things and think about things.

(Years with a party line have conditioned me to pick up a phone and listen before I ever dial...Pavlov is right.)

Old 01-08-2010, 02:59 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,879,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post

Discussion about studies that show that people who depend solely upon tv for their news having considerably less understanding of issues in depth is a topic for another discussion.
Huh? I think I'm going to need that light bulb again.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:59 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,360,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I was born the year that U.S. auto factories switched from making cars to making war materials for WWII and I had personal experience with every single thing on the OP's list and a few other things that aren't on the list like outhouses and religious people putting TV antennas in their attics so no one would know they had one of those "sinful" things. I remember when they used to plow our city sidewalks with a horse drawn plow.
Ah man!
There are few things as unpleasant as using an outhouse on a bitter cold January night.
One thing's for sure - you didn't daudle

Only thing that might be worse was having to use it on a scorching hot July afternoon (Gag!).
Didn't daudle then either.

Ken

Old 01-08-2010, 03:02 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,991,239 times
3.2 beer! (Ohioans will remember that)

Old 01-08-2010, 03:03 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,879,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Ah man!
There are few things as unpleasant as using an outhouse on a bitter cold January night.

Only thing that might be worse was having to use in on scorching hot July afternoon (Gag!).

Ken
Never forget that Sears and Roebuck catalog in that outhouse. In January those pages were sure cold.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:04 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,120,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Ah man!

Only thing that might be worse was having to use in on scorching hot July afternoon (Gag!).

Ken
Even worse was using it after a stray skunk had just previously "used it."

Old 01-08-2010, 03:07 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,360,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Even worse was using it after a stray skunk had just previously "used it."
Oh my GAWD!

Ken

Old 01-08-2010, 03:14 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,796,709 times
* No ZIP codes.
* $.29 gasoline.
* Pulling into a gas station and someone starts washing your windshield, checking
your tires etc. without asking (and it was free)
* A world where nobody thought man was changing the climate.
* Tapping the hang-up button on the phone to dial a number after your parents put
a lock on the rotary dial.
* Buying guns from the Sears catalog or the local hardware store, no paperwork.
* Pluto Platters.
* 6-volt cars.
* $.01 gumballs... and Mom saying they were too expensive.
* Propeller-driven airliners.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 PM

4,900 posts, read 7,460,673 times
[quote=LauraC;12358006]How many of these do you actually remember in your life. Do you think any of these or not experiencing most or many of these influence how you do things or think today compared to others who post here?

1. Only 13 TV channels and only 3 TV choices for news.
2. Getting news when you went to the movie theater, either before or between two movies (yes, two movies, one ticket).
3. Whites Only/Colored Only signs
4. The saying, "Hey, hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?"
5. Party line telephone in your home
6. Rotary dial telephone in your home
7. No computers in the home
8. Black and white TV shows
9. Not having air conditioning in your home.
10. Personally owning a typewriter.
11. Personally owning a phonograph.
12. Mimeographed copies in school
13. School drills in case of a nuclear bombing
14. A stay-at-home mother
15. Going "to church" at the drive in movie theater
16. Out of town homes for embarrassed unwed teenage mothers
17. Lining up for gasoline every other day depending on your odd/even license plate number.
18. The draft
19. No child car seats
20. No seat belts
21. Walking more than a mile home from school
22. When men wouldn't be caught dead wearing earrings
23. When men wouldn't be caught dead wearing thong underwear.
24. When only military and bikers had tattoos
25. When the "good guy" in a movie wasn't flawed
26. When you could buy a slice of pizza and a soda for under $1
27. Being under 18 and not having your own phone.
28. Kids in the neighborhood coming to your house and trying to earn some money shoveling snow or mowing lawns.
29. Playing in the street
30. Give us one of your own.[/quote

Let's see:

#1 -- NBC, CBS, ABC and two "locals" -- really feeling old
#3 -- segregated seating on street cars, too.
#5 -- No
#13 -- love that one -- hands over head under the desk, ya, that'll work
#15 -- No, not in my area
#19 -- not only that but laying in the back window of my mother's HUGE cadillac to drive an hour to the beach!
#30. -- people giving my parents cartons of Lucky Strike for Christmas!

Thanks for making me feel old!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies