Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 08:42 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
whoa!

They did smoke on TV - Rod Serling, Jackie Gleason.... I think Huntley and/or Brinkley smoked. It was the manly way. "Come to where the flavor is... come to Marlboro Country."

First cigarette I ever smoked was a Vantage, with that weird plastic divided filter.

I remember The Wizard of Oz coming on at Easter time, and the commercials always coming in exactly the same places, year after year. "Poor liitle kid, hope she gets home all right." "Trust your car to the man who wears the star, the big white Texaco star!"
“Winston tastes good, like a (bump bump) cigarette should.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:43 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
You could buy a Plymouth product with a 170 6 cyl, 225 6 cyl, 318 2 bbl v8, 383 2bbl v8, 383 4 bbl v8, 440 4bbl v8, 440 6 bbl v8, 426 4bbl v8, 426 8bbl v8.

3 on the tree or 4 on the floor transmissions

There were real mechanical differences btween Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, Buick and Cadillac

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
“Winston tastes good, like a (bump bump) cigarette should.”
"More taste, fine tobacco, that's what happiness is."

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
whoa!

They did smoke on TV - Rod Serling, Jackie Gleason.... I think Huntley and/or Brinkley smoked. It was the manly way. "Come to where the flavor is... come to Marlboro Country."

First cigarette I ever smoked was a Vantage, with that weird plastic divided filter.

I remember The Wizard of Oz coming on at Easter time, and the commercials always coming in exactly the same places, year after year. "Poor liitle kid, hope she gets home all right." "Trust your car to the man who wears the star, the big white Texaco star!"
You can still see them thanks to technology!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLRhsxJ8_GE

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How many of these do you actually remember in your life. Do you think any of these or not experiencing most or many of these influence how you do things or think today compared to others who post here?

1. Only 13 TV channels and only 3 TV choices for news.

6. Rotary dial telephone in your home

7. No computers in the home

8. Black and white TV shows

9. Not having air conditioning in your home.

10. Personally owning a typewriter.

11. Personally owning a phonograph.

12. Mimeographed copies in school

13. School drills in case of a nuclear bombing

*17. Lining up for gasoline every other day depending on your odd/even license plate number.

19. No child car seats

20. No seat belts

21. Walking more than a mile home from school

22. When men wouldn't be caught dead wearing earrings

25. When the "good guy" in a movie wasn't flawed

26. When you could buy a slice of pizza and a soda for under $1

27. Being under 18 and not having your own phone.

*28. Kids in the neighborhood coming to your house and trying to earn some money shoveling snow or mowing lawns.

30. Give us one of your own.
Notes:

6. Five years ago (well, September 2004), when the hurricanes came through, we unplugged the cordless which wasn't working no power), and plugged in the rotary dial phone. Worked fine!

8. Some shows were shown in black and white, some in color.

9. Just recently I lived in a trailer that had no heat or air conditioning. We bought a stand fan and took lots of cool showers to stay cool. Plus, we were our own place, so we wore as little as possible--no problem with being naked.

13. for all the good it would have done us...

17. Not me personally, but my parents did this when I was a kid.

21. I did this more than once by the time I was in seventh grade. The elementary school was about three blocks away. They had buses to take you--if you didn't miss it. But missing the bus didn't mean you missed school either.

22. Or long hair...not at all masculine

27. (and 30.) Or a TV in your room, or a computer, or a video game or a stereo...I was allowed a clock radio if I wanted to sit in my room and listen to music...or a portable cassette player, once I had a job and could buy my own blank tapes (record from radio, with background noise) and batteries.

28. This was done--however, my parents would tell the kids, "why pay you when we can make our kid do it for free?"

Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Notes:

6. Five years ago (well, September 2004), when the hurricanes came through, we unplugged the cordless which wasn't working no power), and plugged in the rotary dial phone. Worked fine!

8. Some shows were shown in black and white, some in color.

9. Just recently I lived in a trailer that had no heat or air conditioning. We bought a stand fan and took lots of cool showers to stay cool. Plus, we were our own place, so we wore as little as possible--no problem with being naked.

13. for all the good it would have done us...

17. Not me personally, but my parents did this when I was a kid.

21. I did this more than once by the time I was in seventh grade. The elementary school was about three blocks away. They had buses to take you--if you didn't miss it. But missing the bus didn't mean you missed school either.

22. Or long hair...not at all masculine

27. (and 30.) Or a TV in your room, or a computer, or a video game or a stereo...I was allowed a clock radio if I wanted to sit in my room and listen to music...or a portable cassette player, once I had a job and could buy my own blank tapes (record from radio, with background noise) and batteries.

28. This was done--however, my parents would tell the kids, "why pay you when we can make our kid do it for free?"
The problem with long hair on males is that, for most males, it looks awful. There are a few males- like Steven Segal for example- that long hair looks good on but for most it does not. It makes them look like trashy rednecks (kid Rock)

Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Also remember when there were no such thing as "lawn services" and Honda and Yamaha made only small "wimpy" motorcycles (very few foriegn cars on the road)?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have a theory and my theory is that NOTHING has happened. What has changed is that you HEAR more about child abductions now but I bet they were as frequent then. But back then "what happened in Tulsa stayed in Tulsa" and the rest of the country did not hear about it. Now what happens in Tulsa is all over 24 hour cable news and "Americas Most Wanted" and it scares the crap out of mothers in Omaha. So we have a perception that children are in far more danger now but in reality it probably is not the case.
You’re probably right. It just seems like things were much more “innocent” back then. One thing is certain, I am glad I had the opportunity to be free to enjoy being a kid. We would play all day, and not return home unless we were hungry or thirsty; and, of course when the streetlights came on.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The problem with long hair on males is that, for most males, it looks awful. There are a few males- like Steven Segal for example- that long hair looks good on but for most it does not. It makes them look like trashy rednecks (kid Rock)
but before the rednecks adopted the look (when it was going out of style) it looked gorgeous! I had more than one boyfriend I liked ONLY because they had great hair, looking back now.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Oh, since cigarettes came up in recent posts, I can remember when adults would smoke while shopping in the supermarkets, your family doctor would come into the examining room smoking a fat stogie...things like that before this Clean Air Act was imposed.

I also seem to remember the parents, not society in general, being the final authority on everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies