Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 PM

731 posts, read 776,652 times

Advertisements

There's no freedom in the army, thats the truth, lets get real, if there was freedom, then the western governments would listen to what their soldiers want.

Stop believing the lies your government tells you, because they dont really care about their soldiers, all they care about is themselves, i feel bad for the soldiers because they're forced to go to a pointless war to fight a group of fighters that have no intentions to harm the west, WAKE UP for godsakes.

An american soldier got 10 years in jail for deserting the army, he knew that this war was pointless and he did not want to risk his life, and he got 10 years in prison, do you honestly think the western leaders care about their soldiers? NO, because if you express your opinion about the war, no matter what you do you will be forced to stay.

Al-Qaeda is the real threat, the Taliban was not the main focus for the west, our main focus is Al-Qaeda, yesterday 3 men got arrested in heathrow for making threats to bomb a plane, Al-Qaeda is benifiting from this, wake up, dont cry when a terrorist attack similar to 9/11 happens because by then the damage would be done, so people need to focus on Al-Qaeda, not the Taliban, the taliban have no intention to harm the west, they have never been a threat.

This war is pointless, whenever you make progress in 1 place, you lose in the other.

Last edited by mrhman92; 01-09-2010 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 12:36 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times
Today's news: video linking Pakistani Taliban to the recent CIA attack:

Humam Khalil Abu Mulal al-Balawi Calls C.I.A. Attack Revenge - NYTimes.com

AQ has melted into the taliban now.

Per a retired pakistani general (same source):
I would say the Taliban and Al Qaeda were both parties, because they get support from each other,” Mr. Masood said, adding that there is a “deep nexus” between the groups.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhman92 View Post
[font=Arial Black]There's no freedom in the army, thats the truth, lets get real, if there was freedom, then the western governments would listen to what their soldiers want.
No, there is no "freedom" in the military, but one is free to serve or not to and since terms of service are not for life, I don't understand the problem. As for what the the soldiers want? I would suspect what the soldiers want is a crack at the enemy they have been tasked to fight. You have another idea?

Quote:
Al-Qaeda is the real threat, the Taliban was not the main focus for the west, our main focus is Al-Qaeda,
I agree, and as soon as the Taliban severs its ties with al-Qaeda the sooner they can go back to whatever it is they want to go back to.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:03 PM

731 posts, read 776,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
No, there is no "freedom" in the military, but one is free to serve or not to and since terms of service are not for life, I don't understand the problem. As for what the the soldiers want? I would suspect what the soldiers want is a crack at the enemy they have been tasked to fight. You have another idea?
Why would you want to go to a country where you know the mission you want would not get accomplished, why would you want to risk your life over a pointless war. No i don't think every single soldier is happy that he/she is going to Afghanistan. My idea is that they should be free to decide whether to leave or stay in the military, but there should be a limited number, with good reasons why they want to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I agree, and as soon as the Taliban severs its ties with al-Qaeda the sooner they can go back to whatever it is they want to go back to.
The Afghani Taliban cut all their tires with Al-Qaeda after 9/11, Al-Qaeda have already been defeated in Afghanistan, and they have opened bases in Yemen, some parts of Africa, Asia, etc. They're taking advantage of this war right now by strengthining themselves. Al-Qaeda is a worldwide organization that have people working for them around the world and thats pretty dangerous, when you have countries like the U.S. wasting their on the Taliban who have no intention to harm the west. The Pakistani Taliban protects Al-Qaeda which destablises Pakistan but if the U.S. pulled out Pakistan would take them down easily. Because India funds the Pakistani Taliban fighters to cause disruptions and the U.S. seems to put the blame on Pakistan.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
It WAS sad when Bush sent them, it's not sad anymore because now it's Obama sending them.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:20 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
I thought that was the point of the military. You choose to sign up and in very polite language they put it that by signing up you agree to go where the leadership tell you and fight people in ways planned by them. You don't get to say "Nah, I don't feel like going to a place where it gets so hot that it's an emergency condition in most of the rest of the world".

Am I different that even I knew about this when I was 4 years old?

As to peacefulness, not a chance. When people are shoveling money into a group and give political support while that group goes off and kills people in foreign lands and refuse to extradite those who did it, you pretty much are involved. If I was giving money to support a criminal group and letting them use my house knowing full well they were running around murdering people, I would damn well be part of it no matter how a plead after the fact.

The group chooses to stay under the same name, it's logical to say they follow the same ideals as others. It's the name of a group that came about in violence and death untied in purpose...it's not a race, religion, skin color. People don't call themselves Nazi's and expect others to think they are all about kittens and bubblegum.

Last edited by subsound; 01-09-2010 at 01:58 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 01:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
There's no freedom in the army, thats the truth, lets get real, if there was freedom, then the western governments would listen to what their soldiers want.
Whoa -- don't try sneaking anything past this guy.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:37 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,731 times
Quote:
No i don't think every single soldier is happy that he/she is going to Afghanistan. My idea is that they should be free to decide whether to leave or stay in the military, but there should be a limited number, with good reasons why they want to leave.
You do realize the draft ended in the 1970's

Soldiers are free to decide to enlist or reenlist.

There is a reason it is called an All-Volunteer force.

Anybody who enlisted since 9-11 knows the score.

BTW it was the Pakistan intellegence organizations who helped the Taliban get in power.

We just need politcal leaders with the guts to make the right decisions.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:40 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
Quote:
This post is pointless
I did a little editing to get to the meat of this thread..
believe it or not, this is an all volunteer force. Stop speaking for others and get a clue.
This is coming from someone that volunteered 20 years of their life and actually tried to go to Afghanistan, but the competition was fierce and I ran out of time.
I can't stand people that speak for others. There are four letters that come to mind when I see it too and they end in TFU..

Old 01-09-2010, 01:53 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times
So OP, do tell us about the freedom in the Talibani army, or the Pakistani army or any army in that region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies