Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the pilot do the right thing? And if you were stranded on a desert island with only Lovey, what
Yes, the pilot absolutely did the right thing. We cannot be too careful in this day and age. 6 37.50%
No, the pilot totally overreacted. He should've kept going and had the guy taken into custody in Maui at most. 6 37.50%
I'm not sure what the pilot should've done, that's a tough call. 1 6.25%
If Lovey were my only companion, I'd make the most of it. Why not, she seems like a nice enough lady. 8 50.00%
If Lovey were my only companion, I'd opt for the sharks and swim out to sea. 0 0%
If Lovey were my only companion, I'd sacrifice myself to the native headhunters 2 12.50%
Something else. 1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:40 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Passenger in Oregon to Hawaii air incident faces charges - CNN.com

"Federal authorities filed a criminal complaint Friday against a 56-year-old man whose scrawled note invoking "Gilligan's Island" led a Hawaiian Airlines pilot to turn around a Maui-bound flight and return Wednesday to Portland, Oregon.

. . .

"About 45 minutes into the flight, Johnson gave a comment card in a sealed envelope to a flight attendant, who opened it, read it and gave it to the lead flight attendant, who then gave it to the captain, it said:
""I thought I was going to die, we were so high up," the card said. "I thought to myself: I hope we don't crash and burn or worse yet landing in the ocean, living through it, only to be eaten by sharks, or worse yet, end up on some place like Gilligan's Island, stranded, or worse yet, be eaten by a tribe of headhunters, speaking of headhunters, why do they just eat outsiders, and not the family members? Strange ... and what if the plane ripped apart in mid-flight and we plumited (sic) to earth, landed on Gilligan's Island and then lived through it, and the only woman there was Mrs. Thurston Howell III? No Mary Anne (my favorite) no Ginger, just Lovey! If it were just her, I think I'd opt for the sharks, maybe the headhunters.""
After reading this note, the pilot turned the plane around and went back to Oregon!

So after you're done wiping away the tears of hysterical laughter, what do you think the pilot should have done? A pilot friend of mine says turning the plane around for what is obviously a smart-aleck joke was massively ridiculous.

As a secondary question, if you were stranded on Gilligan's Island with only Lovey, what would you do?
I don't understand one single thing about this post.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:46 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post

I don't understand one single thing about this post.
Really?
  • Dude gets on a plane in Portland, Oregon, bound for Maui
  • 45 minutes into the flight he hands a flight attendant a note, which is copied (supposedly) in its entirety in the post.
  • Flight attendants pass it to the pilot, who promptly turns the plane around and returns to Portland, Oregon.

Poll:

Did the pilot do the right thing? Yes, no, or not sure

Poll Part 2:

If you were stranded on Gilligan's Island with only Lovey, would you, as the note-writer says he would; rather be eaten by sharks, let yourself be eaten by headhunters, or, would you instead make the most of it?

What's not to understand?

Old 01-10-2010, 12:12 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Really?
  • Dude gets on a plane in Portland, Oregon, bound for Maui
  • 45 minutes into the flight he hands a flight attendant a note, which is copied (supposedly) in its entirety in the post.
  • Flight attendants pass it to the pilot, who promptly turns the plane around and returns to Portland, Oregon.

Poll:

Did the pilot do the right thing? Yes, no, or not sure

Poll Part 2:

If you were stranded on Gilligan's Island with only Lovey, would you, as the note-writer says he would; rather be eaten by sharks, let yourself be eaten by headhunters, or, would you instead make the most of it?

What's not to understand?
What's not to understand is that there is nothing in that post that even remotely infers that any pilot flying this mythical plane received a note, nor did it make any mention of what was on this non-existent note. Perhaps next time you write a poll you might include these important details. I'm not a mind reader.

EDIT: I see that you put the info into your post. My apologies. I'm accustomed to polls containing all the information that one needs to vote and not having to read the first post of the poller. Thumbs down for me!

Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
D.B. Cooper would NEVER have handed a note like that to a flight attendant.

Sometimes, one must look to heros for mundane relevance.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post

What's not to understand is that there is nothing in that post that even remotely infers that any pilot flying this mythical plane received a note, nor did it make any mention of what was on this non-existent note. Perhaps next time you write a poll you might include these important details. I'm not a mind reader.

EDIT: I see that you put the info into your post. My apologies. I'm accustomed to polls containing all the information that one needs to vote and not having to read the first post of the poller. Thumbs down for me!
No worries. The polls don't give you enough space to provide all the info necessary; hence the use of the OP to fully explain. So are you going to vote?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:05 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I bet there is some guy out there in City Data Land, reading the article linked, and wondering how the heck could that nutjob have a girlfriend?

Old 07-10-2014, 01:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Anyone who flies at all knows you don't even think jokes about plane crashes unless you want the full body cavity search. The guy was an idiot. I hope he made to reimburse the airline for the cost fuel he forced them to waste.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:11 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
1] The pilot should not have turned around.
2] Since I am old Lovey is not too bad and I would make the best of the situation. I would search the whole Island and hope to get lucky finding nudes of Mary Ann and Ginger. You know for the visuals Lovey would understand

Old 07-10-2014, 02:27 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
1. Pilot did the right thing - guy was obviously a nut case
2. Lovey is the only woman around? Me and her would have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies