Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,246,833 times

Advertisements

Yes we can learn a lot. For example Europe found a way to mooch off the USA for over half a century. Why put vast sums of capital into your own military when you can get the USA to foot the bill for you. Better still get them to do it and like it. Throughout the cold war the USA foot the lion share of the bill for NATO. Well some things just don't change because we are still footing that bill.
There are always things to learn from others and we should pick and choose which lessons apply to us and are the fit.
For example Europe and most every other Nation on the planet uses a rail system to transport goods and people. They do it efficiently and safely. We could learn from this and reapply. 1 train can do what maybe 100 trucks do or 100 buses.
How many European countries allow companies from other nations to manage their ports? I don't know but I would guess not many.
Europe sinks a lot of money in support of airbus. Maybe we should do that for Boeing.
Europe has a problem in their backyard and they have the USA come over and fight the fight while they armchair quarterback. We foot the lion share of the bill and they dictate terms. Yes we should reapply this one.
Europe can afford a good many things because we provide them a great deal of Military support. Support that allows them to maintain a fraction of what they would have to otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 PM

49 posts, read 31,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Yes we can learn a lot. For example Europe found a way to mooch off the USA for over half a century. Why put vast sums of capital into your own military when you can get the USA to foot the bill for you. Better still get them to do it and like it. Throughout the cold war the USA foot the lion share of the bill for NATO. Well some things just don't change because we are still footing that bill.
There are always things to learn from others and we should pick and choose which lessons apply to us and are the fit.
For example Europe and most every other Nation on the planet uses a rail system to transport goods and people. They do it efficiently and safely. We could learn from this and reapply. 1 train can do what maybe 100 trucks do or 100 buses.
How many European countries allow companies from other nations to manage their ports? I don't know but I would guess not many.
Europe sinks a lot of money in support of airbus. Maybe we should do that for Boeing.
Europe has a problem in their backyard and they have the USA come over and fight the fight while they armchair quarterback. We foot the lion share of the bill and they dictate terms. Yes we should reapply this one.
Europe can afford a good many things because we provide them a great deal of Military support. Support that allows them to maintain a fraction of what they would have to otherwise.
See bolded text. If you honestly believe that Hitler would have stopped at just Europe and wasn't a threat to the entire world, you are very delusional.

p.s. speaking of the Europe you hate so much, without the French, you wouldn't have your independence from the British crown.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,471,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Just a comment - as much as Europe liked the US to "foot the bill", the US preferred it as well. There was no question about that until the fall of communism. The US liked to keep this arrangement in the far east as well. Japan has no serious military capabilities only because of the US. All our presidents (even democrats) between 1945-1992 were convinced that our presence is necessary in case of any confrontation with the Soviets. To come today and ask why we paid the money is to rewrite history.
And, if Europeans were to pay the bill, they would preferred their armed forces, not the US to be there.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,203,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battmann View Post
So by your logic, there can't be any rich people in Europe, right?
Of course not! Every good patriotic American knows that Europeans live in shanty towns and consider themselves lucky if they can afford a bicycle for transportation.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:01 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,041,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battmann View Post
See bolded text. If you honestly believe that Hitler would have stopped at just Europe and wasn't a threat to the entire world, you are very delusional.

p.s. speaking of the Europe you hate so much, without the French, you wouldn't have your independence from the British crown.
He was talking about Bosnia.

And I agree with tinman, European protectionism has served them well, especially compared to our lax enforcement of immigration laws and general lack of control over outsourcing.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,507,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
It's not so horrible to make the rich pay higher taxes and it's not bad to take care of your citizens (universal health care). Their economy isn't doing all that great (whose is...?) but we can still learn a lot from them.

Op-Ed Columnist - Learning From Europe - NYTimes.com
pardon me, but how the hell do you come to the conclusion that it's "ok" to make the SUCCESSFUL pay higher taxes?

Too bad many Europeans are envious of the American way of life, DESPITE their "utopian" paradise.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:52 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,203,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
pardon me, but how the hell do you come to the conclusion that it's "ok" to make the SUCCESSFUL pay higher taxes?

Too bad many Europeans are envious of the American way of life, DESPITE their "utopian" paradise.
You're right. I lived in Germany for many years. On a TV interview I heard a neo-nazi saying that in America he would not be hounded like in Germany. Nazi literature is forbidden in Germany. In America it's legal.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:58 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,873,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
You're right. I lived in Germany for many years. On a TV interview I heard a neo-nazi saying that in America he would not be hounded like in Germany. Nazi literature is forbidden in Germany. In America it's legal.

Your point? That it's good to have a KKK? Do you even understand why the Germans are doing this? No.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,534,889 times
Human Rights for Europe

Human Rights for the new European Parliament 2009

Old 01-11-2010, 09:03 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,146,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
It's not so horrible to make the rich pay higher taxes and it's not bad to take care of your citizens (universal health care). Their economy isn't doing all that great (whose is...?) but we can still learn a lot from them.

Op-Ed Columnist - Learning From Europe - NYTimes.com
While I'm certainly not opposed to a national / state health care system (ideally administered on the state level with subsidies from the federal government as appropriate), the problem is most (Western and Central) European countries make all of their citizens pay more in taxes, not only the rich. Not only are their income taxes higher (often much higher), but they also pay a sales tax that most Americans would consider outrageous - averaging around 20%. And don't get me started about their taxes on gas or cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies