Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:41 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,611 times

Advertisements

With the building works nearly over, Julian and Samantha Mosedale and their three children were looking forward to moving back into the home of their dreams.
But their hopes have turned into a nightmare because a group of Romanians occupied the property over Christmas.
To add insult to injury, police told them that they were being 'racist' for questioning the squatters' right to live in Britain on benefits.

Family shut out of their 'dream home' by gang of gipsies who moved in over Christmas | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,390 times
I'd torch my house if that happened to me. But it wouldn't because I'd exercise my innate right to keep and bear arms beforehand. Invade my home you leave in a body bag.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Poorly written story.

Regarding the central issue, losing the home to squatters, the family obtained a court order that requires those squatters to be out of the home within 24 hours.

The other issue has to do with how the couple who own the home may have discussed the squatters and their background, totally irrelevant to the illegal occupation of the home. In addition, other parts of the story present the possibility that the squatters were actually scammed themselves, being provided the home as an illegal lease property.

Like I stated, poorly written story.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:02 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Poorly written story.

Regarding the central issue, losing the home to squatters, the family obtained a court order that requires those squatters to be out of the home within 24 hours.

The other issue has to do with how the couple who own the home may have discussed the squatters and their background, totally irrelevant to the illegal occupation of the home. In addition, other parts of the story present the possibility that the squatters were actually scammed themselves, being provided the home as an illegal lease property.

No, discussing the squatter's background is certainly not irrelevant to the story. It shows the far-left PC insanity of present day Britain, that the mention of the squatter's background is branded "raaaaacist" by police (an agent of the state). The story as a whole highlights the insanity of Airstrip 1.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Quote:
Poorly written story.

Good post. Mind you anyone reading the Mail/Daily Mail and other tabloid rags really isn't looking for objective factual research, or a well written piece of journalistic investigation.

It's about as factual as the National Enquirer and is famously rabidly anti immigrant ( legal as well as illegal , they don't discriminate at all... if it's foreign then it's bad) . They have great success in whipping a certain portion of the British Population into a mass frenzy of hysteria.

About the only thing the Mail/Daily Mail is good for is lighting fires . That trees have to die for this piece of garbage is quite a tragedy. I wouldn't expect their readership to recycle either so from beginning til end this newspaper is a tragedy but one offering enough fodder to feed comedians and satirists for a long time still with its hysterical headlines...

Old 01-13-2010, 08:11 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
Quote:
Poorly written story.

In the story it was said that they could not give the name of the person that rented them the house....I wonder why? Could it be there was no one?

Old 01-13-2010, 08:16 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
With the building works nearly over, Julian and Samantha Mosedale and their three children were looking forward to moving back into the home of their dreams.
But their hopes have turned into a nightmare because a group of Romanians occupied the property over Christmas.
To add insult to injury, police told them that they were being 'racist' for questioning the squatters' right to live in Britain on benefits.

Family shut out of their 'dream home' by gang of gipsies who moved in over Christmas | Mail Online

The author of the article should be fired for being just another hack feeding the fire of nationalism.

Squaters are squaters and should be evicted as soon as legally possible, but it sounds like someone took them for a ride too if what was stated at the end of the article is true, that they thought they paid for the home (as a rental i am guessing).

It happens here too. Especially in poor neighborhoods and with immigrants. And it takes longer here to evict.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:22 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Regardless of the squatters being scammed or not, they gotta go.

They have no right to the home.

It should be a non-issue as soon as the owner provides the paperwork. They should move out, file a report of fraud and attempt to make the best of it.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

It should be a non-issue as soon as the owner provides the paperwork. They should move out, file a report of fraud and attempt to make the best of it.
I absolutely agree. Squatting is not acceptable and the owner obviously has the right to his/her property. Unfortunately the Law is not always helpful here in the UK as Squatters do have rights unless they broke in, in which case they become a trespasser which is a different category.

Squatters can be evicted but it can be a lengthy process as various loop-holes have to be jumped through.

What I object to in this so called article, is the constant demonisation of certain groups , some of whom might ...GASP... not be entirely to blame as scamming immigrants is quite a popular way to earn money off vulnerable people.

Basically anything written by the Daily Mail has to be taken with a heavy pinch of salt.

Facts and this rag are perfect strangers on the whole and I prefer my news from more worthy news-sources ( whether right or left leaning). If one wants a modicum of balance and journalistic integrity then the Mail with the Sport would be the last call.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

Certainly, but the story juxtapositioned the occupancy with the racist comment. What they left out though, is context.

We have no idea what the owners said to the police, nor do we have any idea if the "racist" comment was an offhanded remark or something more central to the story.

As I said, very poorly written.

And to the OP, I am one of the posters who would generally agree with the comment about PC being very overdone in today's society. However, in critically reading the article I'm not sure it is really relevant to the central story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies