Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times

Advertisements

The Associated Press: Poll: Financially pinched, young adults lose faith

Being a young adult is supposed to be a time of great optimism when you go out into the wide open with the belief you can conquer the world, or at least a quarter acre of your own in suburbs. The promise that you'll get all the trappings of the "good life" if you work hard are practically engraved the the collective conciousness of the country.

But the dream his hitting cold, hard reality far earlier than it used to, it seems. How will the death of the "american dream" among the youth of the country change our society? It is a more or less permanent change? How do you encourage your kids to be successful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 08:59 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Hogwash.

Those raised in the US during the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl years had it very hard and did very well in building this country. Success has many measures.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Hogwash.

Those raised in the US during the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl years had it very hard and did very well in building this country. Success has many measures.
So tell me why the current generation seems to be falling flat on it's face?

How can the problem be fixed besides giving the whole typical (and very unhelpful) : "In my day we walked 8 miles to and from school uphill in the snow without shoes yada, yada..." crap ?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:09 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,904,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

How can the problem be fixed besides giving the whole typical (and very unhelpful) : "In my day we walked 8 miles to and from school uphill in the snow without shoes yada, yada..." crap ?
Well gee, perhaps respect and appreciation for your elders is a good start.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:

Because they are spoiled brats who have no idea what comprises "hard times" and have had everything handed to them easily.

I'm not old enough to tell the 8 miles in the snow uphill stories both ways. There is no need for such condescention on your part. I suspect such an additude is one of the reasons some members of the "current generation" are falling flat on their faces. It difficult to see the road ahead when one's nose is stuck-up in the air. Try a little humility with breakfast to start the day and understand you are not born with wisdom, that it is something gained with experience and age. Shut the mouth, open the ears, and learn from those who have real wisdom to share.

Get rid of the "entitlement society" and the entitlement mentality of suburbia. Period.

Life is not fair, get over it. No one is owed anything in this life but the rights which have been endowed to them by their Creator. After that, life is what you make it.

More people with college degrees are in the workforce than any time in history. Try harder and work harder than the other guy/gal. Degrees are only part of the equation. One must actually have a number of skill sets and be able and willing to utilize them well.

The current generation CAN fall flat on their faces because Mommy & Daddy are there to let them move back OR the federal government will bail them out. Case in point: the extention of unemployment benefits. People out of work today receive MORE than they have paid into unemployment.

Just because one doesn't land the career job one might hope for right out of college doesn't mean that there aren't jobs out there. Some actually required getting the hands dirty and leave an individual physically drained at the end of the day.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Because they are spoiled brats who have no idea what comprises "hard times" and have had everything handed to them easily.

I'm not old enough to tell the 8 miles in the snow uphill stories both ways. There is no need for such condescention on your part. I suspect such an additude is one of the reasons some members of the "current generation" are falling flat on their faces. It difficult to see the road ahead when one's nose is stuck-up in the air. Try a little humility with breakfast to start the day and understand you are not born with wisdom, that it is something gained with experience and age. Shut the mouth, open the ears, and learn from those who have real wisdom to share.

Get rid of the "entitlement society" and the entitlement mentality of suburbia. Period.

Life is not fair, get over it. No one is owed anything in this life but the rights which have been endowed to them by their Creator. After that, life is what you make it.

More people with college degrees are in the workforce than any time in history. Try harder and work harder than the other guy/gal. Degrees are only part of the equation. One must actually have a number of skill sets and be able and willing to utilize them well.

The current generation CAN fall flat on their faces because Mommy & Daddy are there to let them move back OR the federal government will bail them out. Case in point: the extention of unemployment benefits. People out of work today receive MORE than they have paid into unemployment.

Just because one doesn't land the career job one might hope for right out of college doesn't mean that there aren't jobs out there. Some actually required getting the hands dirty and leave an individual physically drained at the end of the day.
Fair enough.

Just to be clear here I am not whining about my own situation. I'm in my early 30's and got my degree, job, house, wife and 2.5 kids without any help from mommy and daddy. I'm not rich, and it wasn't easy... but bottom line I'm stable, not in debt for anything but the house and a car and I feel I'm providing a decent life for my own kids.

But many of my friends and younger family members are not so fortunate. I see the entitlement mentality in them but I still don't agree that it's all their fault. I suppose it's always been hard to make a start in the world, but I'm still not convinced the playing field is as level as it used to be.

More than anything, I worry about my own kids. I'm afraid their opportunities will be non-existent when it's their turn to go out into the world. But at least they won't grow up in a television induced haze full of false promises and unrealistic expectations like I did.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well gee, perhaps respect and appreciation for your elders is a good start.
True respect is earned, not demanded and certainly not freely given. Just being old doesn't mean one should be respected.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:50 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,904,686 times
Quote:
True respect is earned, not demanded and certainly not freely given. Just being old doesn't mean one should be respected.
Yes I agree but if you're raised in a society that dismisses the input of anyone over 15 as crap I'd say you've not quite caught on to how to actually be respectful of either yourself OR anyone else for that matter.

Being dismissive of someone's life experience based on age probably isn't going to help you much either way.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:54 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,528 times
Quote:
The Associated Press: Poll: Financially pinched, young adults lose faith

Being a young adult is supposed to be a time of great optimism when you go out into the wide open with the belief you can conquer the world, or at least a quarter acre of your own in suburbs. The promise that you'll get all the trappings of the "good life" if you work hard are practically engraved the the collective conciousness of the country.

But the dream his hitting cold, hard reality far earlier than it used to, it seems. How will the death of the "american dream" among the youth of the country change our society? It is a more or less permanent change? How do you encourage your kids to be successful?

I have 11 grandids who I feel very sorry for . Most are grown now but still young .

Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,528 times
Quote:

It is not the kids fault . They were abandoned by their parents in most cases, very few had a father and many seldom saw a mother because she had to work .

They were all turned over to the indoctrination of the government schools that convinced them everything about their country , heretage and morals were wrong or they were used for politicle purposes .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies