Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 06:54 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,841 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your thoughts, I was just wondering how the media gets in (hundreds) and report how the airports are backed up and the ports are too damaged for ships, so how did they get in? I do not think Diane Sawyer jumps out of a helicopter, just not seeing it, but maybe I am wrong. It seems if they could get in then why not medical supplies, food and water?

Where did the helicopters come from? DR? Ships off shore? I am just saying....Just wondering about logistics, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Frustrated is putting it mildly. 40 odd yrs worth of people risking their lives as boat people to escape... their faith that any system could work is so badly battered for generations. Could you have a life in your home town if 'might makes right' ruled your state for 5 generations or better?

FYI As coast guard, I was instructed to punch your lights out if you became combative as I was trying to rescue you from drowning. Desperate people do stupid things. I'd rather not punch you out, but I would if I had to because your black eye and my potential injured hand is a lesser evil than us both drowning.
Harborlady..USCG here as well. Base Miami Beach and then paper pusher in Fed building in downtown Miami. Many moons ago and only for 8 years.
My sister though did 15 years as radioman all over the US.

FYI..USCG were first military units to arrive in Haiti.
semper paratus !

Old 01-17-2010, 08:07 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Harborlady..USCG here as well. Base Miami Beach and then paper pusher in Fed building in downtown Miami. Many moons ago and only for 8 years.
My sister though did 15 years as radioman all over the US.

FYI..USCG were first military units to arrive in Haiti.
semper paratus !
I thought there was something about your attitude I recognized. ^5 & semper paratus. I had the advantage of having a dad living on a sailboat in carribean to flesh out a history prior to duty, and ironically have traveled far more outside service than during. My tours alone put me far and wide, great lakes to boston to virginia to carrib to south america to cali to alaska to russia/ japan... the odometer hit tilt in my life. hahahaaa I wouldn't trade a minute.

Seriously, I wish some reporter would interview old guard and the young guns about the stories of these boat people. That body of information would be very useful to understand what's so horribly wrong in Haiti that they perpetually fail to thrive. People willing to risk their lives for freedom is the stuff of nation building, and that vital resource leaving the shores of Haiti on a raft perpetuates the problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies