Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:09 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,396 times

Advertisements

Since when is it the US military job to provide security for another nation and humanitarian relief. I could see us maybe TRANSPORTING supplies, no reason for them to even have RIFLES with them. If you feel your US soldiers need rifles for relief to a nation hit by a earthquake maybe they shouldn't be there in the first place. Security? Sounds more like policemen looking for trouble and a nation already full of corruption and desperate for relief.
Send doctors, and charities and FOOD and engineers. Use the military planes, helicopters and trucks to get it to the cities that is it and LEAVE!
You are drop off and pick up assistance THAT IS IT! We don't need foot soldiers roaming around with guns on their sides (loaded or unloaded) directing chaos.

Are we nation building again.. is this Iraq part 2.
If a earthquake destroys a city in any part of the world is it our job to assist as far as the US government is concerned? Human beings helping another human being is fine. But does the US government have a right to use the US military who are trained to kill other people and defend OUR country and our constitution should not be used as "security" for another nation.

I think not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,728 times
The U.N. troops can't handle 3 million people all by themselves. I have no problem with our troops being used in Haiti for whatever they are need for. U.N. peace keepers use rubber bullets. Perhaps our troops there are doing the same? Without troops in a situation like Haiti the aid workers and aid could not get to people without riots and endangering their own lives. And by the way our sec. of state was over there a few days ago to get an agreement giving us the right to be there doing what we're doing.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 01-19-2010 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 08:36 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
From a practical standpoint, the US military is really the only resource with the skills, manpower and resources to pull this off. The situation on the ground is getting desperate, with a mob-mentality taking over in some areas. Granted part of this is due to the slow response in getting aid where it is needed. Putting US troops on the ground without a means of defending themselves in this kind of situation would be irresponsible.

Having said that, I would like to see organizations like Americorp and the Peace Corp doing more as the primary first responder in cases like these. We spend millions on these organizations but don't utilize them. Properly, our military should be used for the defense of this country, not as aid workers.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
From a practical standpoint, the US military is really the only resource with the skills, manpower and resources to pull this off. The situation on the ground is getting desperate, with a mob-mentality taking over in some areas. Granted part of this is due to the slow response in getting aid where it is needed. Putting US troops on the ground without a means of defending themselves in this kind of situation would be irresponsible.

Having said that, I would like to see organizations like Americorp and the Peace Corp doing more as the primary first responder in cases like these. We spend millions on these organizations but don't utilize them. Properly, our military should be used for the defense of this country, not as aid workers.
"Properly, our military should be used for the defense of this country, not as aid workers"

And that is my point I am making.
The Military has no business being AID workers.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:59 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll
...And that is my point I am making.
My mistake, I thought your concern was that the US military men and women being used as aid workers had the means of defending themselves should the situation turn ugly. If aid groups were sent in, what would you do to provide for their defense and security? Desperate situations bring out the worst of many people, we're starting to see that in Haiti.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 01-19-2010 at 09:15 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
"Properly, our military should be used for the defense of this country, not as aid workers"

The military isn't being used for aid workers. They are acting as protection for aid workers and are doing the kind work they are uniquely trained to do. The navy has divers working in the port trying to repair equipment to get the port open. Our military has started dropping aid packages out by parachute. Our military has set up a temporary air control center, etc., etc. Aid workers can't do these sorts of things. Think of it as training exercises if that helps you swallow it better. What better way to learn than by doing.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
My mistake, I thought your concern was that the US military men and women being used as aid workers hand the means of defending themselves should the situation turn ugly. If aid groups were sent in, what would you do to provide for their defense and security? Desperate situations bring out the worst of many people, we're starting to see that in Haiti.
If my concern was for their safety I wouldnt send them in a country with people who have guns, corruption and AT THIS TIME NO ACTING government.
When aid groups GO, because they know the risks that they are putting their lives in danger and are not ORDERED to go to another nations aid with complete chaos at hand.

Dropping The military into a Desperate situtation will mean the us solider will also be put into that desperate situtation and may have to defend his/her life.
Meanwhile American soliders lose lives when they shouldnt even been there in the first place. No soldier has lost his life yet but give it some time. IF we are there to SAVE peoples lives and help I see no reason an American soldier should lose his life to protect and help those in need. Reality is someone down there wont see it that way and will cause some trouble. WE are not WORLD POLICE, WORLD humanitain or WORLD AID WORKERS!!!
The US government and Obama are using this miltiary in the wrong way. Again the US solider is asked to do something he has no REAL business doing and is not ACTUALLY trained to DO. Even if you think they are.
FEMA is not to be deployed, our resources are not to be sent off to help other nations. What happens if we have an earthquake.. Then what?
While most of our resources are in another country of which dont pay taxes and no a reason we are FREE.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The U.N. troops can't handle 3 million people all by themselves. I have no problem with our troops being used in Haiti for whatever they are need for. U.N. peace keepers use rubber bullets. Perhaps our troops there are doing the same? Without troops in a situation like Haiti the aid workers and aid could not get to people without riots and endangering their own lives. And by the way our sec. of state was over there a few days ago to get an agreement giving us the right to be there doing what we're doing.
The UN has no troops and always relies on one nation or another. It took troops to actually bring order to new orleans ;so why would this be any exception. We have had troops many times before acting as peace keepers.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:54 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,320 times
Quote:

Are you watching what is going on over there?

Thank God the military is able to mobilize itself in this manner and get needed humanitarian aid to these people.

I strongly suspect the Haitians do not feel the way you do. But the French obviously do, so you are in good company with the people that raped and destroyed Haiti - US accused of 'occupying' Haiti as troops flood in - Telegraph

Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,265,784 times
Quote:
If my concern was for their safety I wouldnt send them in a country with people who have guns, corruption and AT THIS TIME NO ACTING government.
When aid groups GO, because they know the risks that they are putting their lives in danger and are not ORDERED to go to another nations aid with complete chaos at hand.

Dropping The military into a Desperate situtation will mean the us solider will also be put into that desperate situtation and may have to defend his/her life.
Meanwhile American soliders lose lives when they shouldnt even been there in the first place. No soldier has lost his life yet but give it some time. IF we are there to SAVE peoples lives and help I see no reason an American soldier should lose his life to protect and help those in need. Reality is someone down there wont see it that way and will cause some trouble. WE are not WORLD POLICE, WORLD humanitain or WORLD AID WORKERS!!!
The US government and Obama are using this miltiary in the wrong way. Again the US solider is asked to do something he has no REAL business doing and is not ACTUALLY trained to DO. Even if you think they are.
FEMA is not to be deployed, our resources are not to be sent off to help other nations. What happens if we have an earthquake.. Then what?
While most of our resources are in another country of which dont pay taxes and no a reason we are FREE.
LOL, what exactly do you think the military does? They protect. Don't worry, I think they can handle this situation, lol. How do you feel about dropping soldiers into Iraq or Afghanistan? That's being done everyday yet you are against the military organizing & maintaining control for an earthquake ravaged country? Now I've heard everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies