Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times

Advertisements

Thought it's not the single-payer system I hope for, any kind of bill that cuts down the gravy train for health insurance companies and Big Pharma is great!

Obama, Dems consider pared-down health care bill - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_care_overhaul - broken link)

Quote:
No decisions have been made, lawmakers said, but they laid out a new approach that could still include these provisions: limiting the ability of insurance companies to deny coverage to people with medical problems, allowing young adults to stay on their parents' policies, helping small businesses and low-income people pay premiums and changing Medicare to encourage payment for quality care instead of sheer volume of services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:24 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
The funny thing is that a health care reform bill could have been passed easily had it been sensible at all. The fact that it is taking so long is 100% to blame on Obama, Pelosi, and Reid. If it doesn't pass, it will be 100% their fault.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:29 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Thought it's not the single-payer system I hope for, any kind of bill that cuts down the gravy train for health insurance companies and Big Pharma is great!

Obama, Dems consider pared-down health care bill - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_care_overhaul - broken link)

The gravy train was bought and paid for when Pharma and the insurance industry each made their own backroom deals with the Democrats.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:32 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
I don't want a different health care plan. Insurance companies lobbied against it because insurance companies know what is best for me. I will trust in them. That is all.

A vote for Obama's plan is a vote AGAINST the insurance companies. Nobody wants that.

Do they? After all, they have your best interests at heart. Why else would they lobby so agressively against this plan?

Just like Carnies. Carnies want you to WIN. They can't help that you can't toss the freaking ring on the freaking bottle. Its not like it's THEIR fault. It's just a bottle. It's just a ring. You've got another dollar. Win a prize for the little lady, whydoncha?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:34 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The gravy train was bought and paid for when Pharma and the insurance industry each made their own backroom deals with the Democrats.
Everyone but the taxpayer got their backroom deals in the bill.

The Dems are so stupid, had they actually had a decent bill to begin with, it would have passed with no bribery of any sort. They had the trifecta super-majority and STILL couldn't get jack done.

Thank you Massachusetts!!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:38 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
the democrat politicians are bought and paid for by insurance.

Quote:
limiting the ability of insurance companies to deny coverage to people with medical problems
but not limiting the cost of those provisions

Quote:
allowing young adults to stay on their parents' policies
at an extra cost

Quote:
helping small businesses and low-income people pay premiums
by taxing them, so there is no actaul cost reduction

Quote:
changing Medicare to encourage payment for quality care instead of sheer volume of services
which will skyrocket the cost of medicare (paid through our taxes)...rememeber the highest cost per patient demographic is the elderly

single payer will only cost the taxpayers more

medicaid is single payer...and it costs 300 billion to cover 30 million....what would the cost be to cover 320 million people...3.5 trillion a year

Old 01-20-2010, 07:45 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,835 times
None of that is really true. How can you compel someone that does not have insurance to pay for insurance. The answer is you cannot. Maybe if there was a way to say, o.k. no matter how poor you are, the most important thing in your life is to stay alive and helathly so your health insurance is going to come out of your pay no matter what.

A system in which everyone pays and yet those that want the status quo can have the status quo. I think everyone would be o.k. with that. That is never going to happen as long as demwits want it on the progressive plate and as long as repugs want to play to their money and power base.

Neither of these extremes will work. I do not know if the repugs will try and address health care beyond the status quo or not. Probably not. At a minimum the insurance companies should not be able to cancel you. At a minimum insurance should be affordable to all, even if it is only catastrophic insurance. At a minimum medical practitioners should be able to practice medicine without 20-25% of their net profits expended for mal practice insurance because the democrats and the repugs have an agenda to protect and enhance the stature of their lawyer constituents. Remember most demwits and repugs wer attorneys before they were politicians.

The one thing you folks here need to get is totally lost on you. You subscribe to a philosophy that 60 years ago was communist. What you call progressive today was called communist to your forbears. If you are a progressive you are a neocommunist. Until you come to grips with that knowledge and abandon the indoctrination that has been provided you by your neo coommunist mentors of the public educations system,-you are lost and your plight will never,never,never, improve. You are destined for histories heap pile of failure.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I don't want a different health care plan. Insurance companies lobbied against it because insurance companies know what is best for me. I will trust in them. That is all.

A vote for Obama's plan is a vote AGAINST the insurance companies. Nobody wants that.

Do they? After all, they have your best interests at heart. Why else would they lobby so agressively against this plan?

Just like Carnies. Carnies want you to WIN. They can't help that you can't toss the freaking ring on the freaking bottle. Its not like it's THEIR fault. It's just a bottle. It's just a ring. You've got another dollar. Win a prize for the little lady, whydoncha?

Oh yeah, the insurance companies love you. They don't want your money at all. They want to provide you with a cheap and fair plan. That's all they want, of course. It is always just about you, not the money. They don't want to drop you when you need the coverage. How could we not have known?

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the democrat politicians are bought and paid for by insurance.

but not limiting the cost of those provisions

at an extra cost

by taxing them, so there is no actaul cost reduction

which will skyrocket the cost of medicare (paid through our taxes)...rememeber the highest cost per patient demographic is the elderly

single payer will only cost the taxpayers more

medicaid is single payer...and it costs 300 billion to cover 30 million....what would the cost be to cover 320 million people...3.5 trillion a year
You didn't even notice it. Single payer would cover everybody. It would cover old AND young, not only the older population. You can not compare single payer and medicaid.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:49 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
look at the health garbage bill

america wants portability......did congress make it so.....NOPE

america wants coverage(of some type, not even full coverage, most just want a hospitalization) for all....does the congress(either house) bills do this.....nope will still leave about 20 million uncovered

america wants costs to be controlled...does any of the current bills do this....NOT AT ALL....

instead of multiple thousand page bills congress could have done this:

1. a one or two page bill, banning any form of pre-existing condition penalties from all health insurance........BOTH parties would have been fine with this
2. a one or two page bill explaining that all health insuarnce should be a nationwide coverage and costs should not be based on what state you are in........Both parties would have generally supported this
3. get rid of the BS law suits,,,not the loss of life/limb suits, but the BS law suits that tie up the courts, and cause fees and services to go up because of the waste
4. deregulate the FDA....yes I said deregulate....why does the fda need to take 20 years to figure that we can do things here, tahat have been done in europe for the last 2 decaides (((( a prime example, when I got hurt in Iraq, (my back), when I came home in late 2003 the only choice here in the states was fusing the vertibre, mean while they have been doing artificial disc REPLACEMENT in europe for 25 years...luckily nov 2004 tthe fda FINALLY approved the surgery in the USA, I received my disc in Jan 2007, and I am very happy, made it so I can be vertical again)))....as you see again the government is not the solution, as it is more of the problem.
5. raise the threshhold for medicaid (ie raise the proverty threshhold) this way more people would be covered under medicaid which would take care of that 30 million that they say are 'uninsured'

and finally 6. tell the people INSURANCE is NOT CARE

JMHO

Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Screw that, go with the single-payer thing and keep the private insurance companies and private hospitals around for those who wish to pay out of pocket and utilize private hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies