Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:33 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Linky no worky. too many http's.
My apologies.... hopefully this one works:
Shame on Richard Lindzen, MIT’s uber-hypocritical anti-scientific scientist « Climate Progress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 12:36 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post

Fixed.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:37 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
His MIT peers don't agree with him:
http://http://climateprogress.org/2009/03/09/richard-lindzen-heartland-denier/ (http://http//climateprogress.org/2009/03/09/richard-lindzen-heartland-denier/ - broken link)
How many of their models on climate have been proven correct?

Also, they do not contest the information, but simply point to "Deep Thought" claiming they have the answer to the meaning of life.

I like models, they are interesting tools to playing with ideas, but this belief that they can prove the hypothesis of AGW is rather amateur.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
How many of their models on climate have been proven correct?

Also, they do not contest the information, but simply point to "Deep Thought" claiming they have the answer to the meaning of life.

I like models, they are interesting tools to playing with ideas, but this belief that they can prove the hypothesis of AGW is rather amateur.
All I'm saying is that if you're going to point to an MIT faculty member that refutes global warming you have to recognize that there are other MIT faculty members that disagree with him.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:48 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
All I'm saying is that if you're going to point to an MIT faculty member that refutes global warming you have to recognize that there are other MIT faculty members that disagree with him.
the problem isnt global warming...its the falacy of 'man-made' global warming

look no one is saying the climate doesnt change....no-one is saying was humans dont waste and abuse the enviroment....but so say its getting warmer because of humans is just a nice little fib

look at these people blaming c02..carbone dioxide...if they were saying carbon monoxide then maybe they might have a leg to stand on..co2 is a NECCESSARY part of our air...plants need it...in fact plants would do much better if co2 was near 700ppm..currently around 340ppm

Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
I'm to the point where I think all of them are full of it. I was once told by a friend who is an actual meteorologist (not a broadcast meteorologist, a real one) that even with all our tech and available information, anyone who can predict weather or climate more than 4 hours ahead is way ahead of the pack. In light of recent events, It seems both sides of the debate are going completely on faith. Like so many other things, the issues got lost in the politics.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Certainly, this is the case with any discipline in science. There are varying opinions on the hypothesis, yet all of them are "opinions" and mean little when it concerns the end result.

Thankfully, we have the scientific method which controls what is evident and what is merely a guess.

From what I read of both though, one is pointing out problems with the data and methods used to come to a conclusion and the other is basing is position on a computer output that has to account for an extreme amount of variables they have no real measurement of.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:55 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
where the heck do you live ? my tomatoes frooze last summer and i'm buried in 3 feet of snow with 2 storms about to hit. go worship your god al gore
A lot of stupid comments on here,but you're the lucky #1. How often does it need to be told?
A single day or week DOES NOT count. Global warming does not mean you got 90 degrees 365 days. You all need to look up what global warming actually is. Then you can come back.
So much stupidity, it's amazing and sad.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
A lot of stupid comments on here,but you're the lucky #1. How often does it need to be told?
A single day or week DOES NOT count. Global warming does not mean you got 90 degrees 365 days. You all need to look up what global warming actually is. Then you can come back.
Yet 12 trees in Yamal = AGW?

Yet a warming trend that matches similar to that of the begining of the century = AGW?

While I laugh at the claims of cold weather meaning AGW is bunk, I also laugh at how all of the AGW supporters used short spells of weather to claim AGW.

You can hold the position that "weather" != "Climate", but you also have to look back at the past claims and research that uses "weather" as evidence of AGW and to be honest, there are a lot of claims of such in the past "peerreviwedliterature" (tm).

While some are oblivious as you might think, many are just throwing the stupid conclusions that were developed by AGW proponents back into their faces. You can't don the hat of superiority when it fits you and then feign stupid when it doesn't. Those who have been following the science simply look at those who do as people too stupid to tie their own shoes.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:04 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
And what's frightening is this is the one who claimed he/she has been studying climate for 50 years, yet, doesn't appear to have a rudimentary understanding of what climate is exactly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies