Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Corporations are subject to the laws as much as everyone else. See bank tax. And those laws affect employment. Why shouldn't they have a voice?
Because corporations are comprised of PEOPLE and they can already vote. Now they can vote twice. Oh joy...

Not to mention the fact that MANY US companies are owned by foriegn corporations. Take Hummer for example. Now China has a direct way to contribute to our elections. So does Mexico, Syria, Russia and EVERY OTHER COUNTRY that holds a majority share of a US company.

We are the only democracy in the world that allows this. And it's crazy and flat out stupid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Because corporations are comprised of PEOPLE and they can already vote. Now they can vote twice. Oh joy...

Not to mention the fact that MANY US companies are owned by foriegn corporations. Take Hummer for example. Now China has a direct way to contribute to our elections. So does Mexico, Syria, Russia and EVERY OTHER COUNTRY that holds a majority share of a US company.

We are the only democracy in the world that allows this. And it's crazy and flat out stupid!

Well like PACs, corporations and unions amplify the concerns of their members. I don't see how that threatens anyone. Money helps but doesn't "buy" anuthing. See Ross Perot.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,699 times
Quote:
Well like PACs, corporations and unions amplify the concerns of their members. I don't see how that threatens anyone. Money helps but doesn't "buy" anuthing. See Ross Perot.
You are a sheep.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
According to law they are treated s persons. Don't like it change the law.

Corporate personhood debate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The laws of the United States hold that a legal entity (like a corporation or non-profit organization) shall be treated under the law as a person except when otherwise noted. This rule of construction is specified in 1 U.S.C. §1, which states:
In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, unless the context indicates otherwise-- the words "person" and "whoever" include corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies, and joint stock companies, as well as individuals;"

As for money not equaling speech, then make broadcast time free.
Which will be the first Corporation to run for president?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
You are a sheep.

I prefer to think of myself as rational. But if name calling makes you fell better, well OK.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
You must be kidding? Do you really think that money doesn't influence our politics?

This will allow the US to become a fascist state for all intensive purposes. This will allow corporations to invest as much money as they like in a politician that supports their views. This also allows foriegn countries to have unprecedented control over our election processes. Any foriegn government that owns a corporation in the US can now pour as much money as they like into our political system. China can now buy a president. Mexico can buy some senators. Syria can buy some congressmen.

This is a terrible, terrible decision. Don't kid yourself. We studied this issue at length when I was in law school and what you saw today was effectively the end of our democracy. They overturned 100 years of precedent today.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I guess the corporation is considered equal to a citizen.
What's next..the right for the corporation to cast a vote ?
If two American corporations, on a joint venture, create a third corporation, the third corporation would qualify as a natural born citizen by its having both naturalized (14th Amend.) parents and itself born on American soil.

If the third corporation is at least 35 years old - we have a potential president!

Corporations will also be allowed to run for Congress within the Constitution of the 14th Amendment.

Things will get a lot more streamlined.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Which will be the first Corporation to run for president?
Monsanto or Goldman Sachs..I just can't decide ..or maybe GE if they borrow some more money from the Fed

Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
You must be kidding? Do you really think that money doesn't influence our politics?

This will allow the US to become a fascist state for all intensive purposes. This will allow corporations to invest as much money as they like in a politician that supports their views. This also allows foriegn countries to have unprecedented control over our election processes. Any foriegn government that owns a corporation in the US can now pour as much money as they like into our political system. China can now buy a president. Mexico can buy some senators. Syria can buy some congressmen.

This is a terrible, terrible decision. Don't kid yourself. We studied this issue at length when I was in law school and what you saw today was effectively the end of our democracy. They overturned 100 years of precedent today.

I didn't say that. George Soros has bought plenty of influence. But you can't influence people who aren't sympathetic to your viewpoint. Chuck Schumer wouldn't suddenly become pro life because a bunch of money was thrown at him by a pro life group. John Boehner wouldn't suddenly be for the health care bill bill becasue the SEIU threw money at him.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that. George Soros has bought plenty of influence. But you can't influence people who aren't sympathetic to your viewpoint. Chuck Schumer wouldn't suddenly become pro life because a bunch of money was thrown at him by a pro life group. John Boehner wouldn't suddenly be for the health care bill bill becasue the SEIU threw money at him.
Shorebaby, as someone who has worked in many political campaigns over the years, I can assure that you money absolutely buys politicians.

Don't take my word for it though. Just watch how the political landscape in America changes over the next few years. Watch as foriegn governments assert direct control over our politicians and multinational corporations gut all remnants of regulation and consumer protections. You are in for quite an education...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies