Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:03 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,493 times

Advertisements

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...n-aid-to-needy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:11 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
He is another example of a wolf-in-sheep's clothing, using the Repubican Party to get elected. He has more libertarian views ans is supported by the gay community that believes he is a closet gay. We all know the damage they do.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
dcsldcd - I am not aware what damage they do. Would you care to enlighten us?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:35 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
dcsldcd - I am not aware what damage they do. Would you care to enlighten us?

Start a thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Start a thread

No you've already brought it up in this one, please enlighten us.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:51 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
He is another example of a wolf-in-sheep's clothing, using the Repubican Party to get elected. He has more libertarian views ans is supported by the gay community that believes he is a closet gay. We all know the damage they do.
We all remember what Reagan said about Libertarians. God bless the infiltrators!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Whats to argue with this?

Bauer's remarks came during a speech in which he said government should take away assistance if those receiving help didn't pass drug tests or attend parent-teacher conferences or PTA meetings if their children were receiving free and reduced-price lunches.

Or this?

Later in his speech, he said, “I can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina,” adding, “You show me the school that has the highest free and reduced lunch and I'll show you the worst test scores, folks. It's there, period. So how do you fix it? Well you say, ‘Look, if you receive goods or services from the government then you owe something back.'”...............
“You go to a school where there's an active participation of parents and guess what? They have the highest test scores. So what do you do? You say, ‘Look folks, if you receive goods or services from the government and you don't attend a parent-teacher conference, bam, you lose your benefits.' We're going to have to do things like that. We can't afford to keep just giving money away.”

This is the first I have ever heard of the guy, and while his analogy of feeding stray animals was off putting at best he really isn't saying anything that outlandish. Why not have people on government assistance be required to attend parent teacher conferences? Or if they are currently unemployed, why not make them 'volunteer' at their childs school? And yes - if a parent can't pass a drug test then that person has no right to parent. Drug addicts are bad parents, why is that news?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:11 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
I don't know much about this guy as I don't live in SC. That said, I would much rather feed strays than those would could theoretically help themselves but choose not to.

I don't see a problems with forcing parents who receive govt handouts to attend a PTA meeting or god forbid a parent-teacher conference to discuss their own child's progress! For crap sakes, what's wrong with these parents that they wouldn't want to be involved in their child's education?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Question. Do you live in SC?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:31 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Question. Do you live in SC?
I do. And while Lt Gov Bauer's choice of words may not have been "politically correct", he does have a very good point. There are way too many able body people who recieve gov't assistance and don't do a thing for it. It also hurts the people who really need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies