Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:56 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamOrbit View Post
and just to make things CRYSTAL clear, im all for government health care. Everyone should have some sort of heath care

me, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 11:57 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
The hospital will write off the bill. That, or the family can declare bankruptcy.

Unfortunate circumstances which show the need for insurance. I find it difficult to believe that they were so poor as to not be able to afford homeowners/renters insurance yet didn't qualify for Medicaid. There ARE programs out there for families like this.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
For crying out loud, insurance costs are different across State lines. And what the hell would 5 bucks pay for a month anyway, a button missing off your TV set?

There are many people who are covered that get serious injuries and are still denied coverage of one form or the other. In many cases large costs are fought by the insurance company in denial claims. The patient then finds themselves fighting for their life and livelihood at the worst juncture of their lives.
I'm not sure what it would cover past $5k worth of personal possessions- I bought the $25/mo plan because it covers what I want it to.

My point is that these policies DO exist.

No one IN THIS COUNTRY can be DENIED MEDICAL TREATMENT because of their inability to pay. They do NOT fight for their life and livelihood at the same time - this type of political talking point, lie, untruth, whatever you want to call it, is the type of thing that PREVENTS the reform we REALLY NEED.

His friend was NOT DENIED medical treatment - he is just being BILLED for it. He was not forced to quit a good paying job to receive the medical care. He did not have any type of insurance - not even a $5/mo policy to cover the meager amount of possessions he had in the shack he lived in with his wife and 5 children. They are now living with family. What makes you think this is the WORST juncture of their lives? Personally, my first thought is that I hope their parents are taking good care of those kids. Chances are, someone has started a fund to help these folks out. Chances are, those 5 kids are now getting food regularly and living in a home with heat. Chances are, they're on disability, welfare and medicaid NOW.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:00 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Real poor. The house was more a shack then a home.
If hes as poor as you say....They will never have to pay back a dime.
Just the way it is.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
"No one should suffer / die because they do not have medical care..." must be prefaced by "No one should be compelled to labor for another, just so that ...."

Slavery is never a solution to the ills of mankind.

Voluntary charity is a blessing
Compulsory charity is a curse

The next point - WHAT drove up the costs for hiring medical care and buying medicine?
[1] Government -- licensing and criminalization of the practice by unlicensed
[2] Government -- litigation abuse driving up malpractice premiums
[3] Government -- taxation, passed on to the consumer
[4] All of the above

What's your answer to lower the cost for medical care?
[A] Increase government influence over medicine
[b] Eliminate government influence over medicine

Old 01-28-2010, 12:05 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,087 times
How do you find it difficult that he was that poor? I know people who make hardley any money and don`t qualify for gov services.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:09 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
How do you find it difficult that he was that poor? I know people who make hardley any money and don`t qualify for gov services.
I'm going off what the OP said. The man lived in a shack with 5 kids and couldn't even afford the most basic of home insurance or health ins. Sounds to me like he's hovering around the poverty level. Government programs are precisely for people in those circumstances.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:09 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times
Lot of poor people don't know how to save money and end up spending it on smoking cigarettes and etc. This couple smokes alot.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
"No one should suffer / die because they do not have medical care..." must be prefaced by "No one should be compelled to labor for another, just so that ...."

Slavery is never a solution to the ills of mankind.

Voluntary charity is a blessing
Compulsory charity is a curse

The first flaw in your reasoning is that the practice of medicine is not a charity.

It's a business.

I love philosophy but I live in the real world.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:12 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,133,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I'm not sure what it would cover past $5k worth of personal possessions- I bought the $25/mo plan because it covers what I want it to.

My point is that these policies DO exist.

No one IN THIS COUNTRY can be DENIED MEDICAL TREATMENT because of their inability to pay. They do NOT fight for their life and livelihood at the same time - this type of political talking point, lie, untruth, whatever you want to call it, is the type of thing that PREVENTS the reform we REALLY NEED.

His friend was NOT DENIED medical treatment - he is just being BILLED for it. He was not forced to quit a good paying job to receive the medical care. He did not have any type of insurance - not even a $5/mo policy to cover the meager amount of possessions he had in the shack he lived in with his wife and 5 children. They are now living with family. What makes you think this is the WORST juncture of their lives? Personally, my first thought is that I hope their parents are taking good care of those kids. Chances are, someone has started a fund to help these folks out. Chances are, those 5 kids are now getting food regularly and living in a home with heat. Chances are, they're on disability, welfare and medicaid NOW.
I was responding to your post more so than the OPs. I live the nightmare dealing with insurance companies. I've seen first hand how it works. I've seen hard working, premium paying customers denied then dumped. You are welcomed to read my previous posts pertaining the to health insurance racket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies