Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 01:13 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,907 times

Advertisements

Informedconsent, this situation has NOTHING to do with a sense of entitlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 01:15 PM

89,034 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Did you read the part about this 'poor' family having a smoking habit?? Cry me a river.

Things I do or don't spend money on...from the above list...
Coffee-No
Cigarettes-No
Alcohol-No
Magazines-No
Cable-Yes
Ipod-No
Music-Only from the radio so that's free
Movies-Maybe once a year a new release, twice more at the $1 movie and a couple of Red Box rentals-overall less than $50 a year.
Occasional dinners out-Yes
Good Cheese-LOL, not sure what that is but I guess our cheese is fine most of the time.
Meals other than Ramen Noodles-We spend $2600 per YEAR on groceries for 4 people and I've never eaten a Ramen Noodle.

Things I have not on your list...
Retirement savings
College savings for the kids
Home insurance
Health insurance
Family fun-cheap alternative to staring at walls...as you propose is the alternative. Could be anything from going to the park for a walk and frisbee toss to playing a game around the kitchen to table to baking cookies together, etc.

Now, how many of the things on the lower list do you think I would still have if I wasted money on all of the necessary vices you listed? FWIW...I know people who don't even have cable or go to movies and they do just fine too.
A fool and his money are soon parted and this world is FULL of fools.

Come on now...stop making excuses for poor behavior. Why don't you justify why poor people play the lottery while you are at it?

Look, I came from a poor family. I know what it's like. I'm the only one who chose not to smoke and drink. I'm the only one who chose to get a job as soon as I was old enough. I'm the only one who worked hard in school and saved for college. I'm the only one who didn't hop into bed and getting knocked up (or knock someone up) by some bozo. I'm the only one who left home and that toxic environment...hoping for something better.

As a result of those intentional choices...
I'm the only one who went to college. I'm the only one who waited for the right person to marry and start a family with. I'm the only one with a home of my own. I'm the only one who has never been on public assistance. I'm the only one who has a loving and stable home environment. I'm the only one my parents don't fret over constantly...heck, even they wonder if maybe I was switched at birth or something...lol.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging. I know how close it was for me to end up like the rest of my family. I thank God every day that he gave me some wisdom and smarts from the time I was a teenager and the strength to buck the only life I'd ever known. It isn't easy but don't make it any harder by making excuses for people who make bad choices in life. You really aren't helping them at all.
EXCELLENT post!

And, sadly, it will be completely ignored by the entitlement mentality crowd.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,907 times
NCyank, who`s making excuses? I see a pharisee type attitude in your post.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:19 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
This friend lost his house and the contents because of fire. They didn't even have house insurance. This couple has five children also.
He had a house & no homeowners insurance? Now that's just a bad decision.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Ask the question 80,000 dollars?
Even if you had insurance still the insurance company is paying 80,000 dollars.
Difference is the people billing know someone is going to pay the 80,000 even if it was from the government.
Why 80,000 other then giving them a place to stay pumping them full of drugs for the pain and wrapping them and depending on the burns and location you would be dealing with skin grafs. But in the end we must remember people are on this earth and at any moment you could DIE!!! Is your life worth the 80,000 or your poor and living with your parents what are you doing in your life that the rest of society deems we should pay your BILL. Are you required any of it, do you owe some graditute and maybe a doctor saved your life. Are you required to work, donate your time to other burn patients. How did you get burned were you smoking crack and or doing something stupid. Before we all rush to turn over our lives to insurance companies and govenrment aid lets review the cost, and the REASON and if anyone out there will help this person WILLINGLY without the taxes, BS and other crazy enforced ideas that everyone must have insurance to cover everyone's issues. If they have serious burns they might need physical threapy and again we all see a number of 80,000 and I see a life time for this person to payback, understand and teach those people how to deal with the pain. We have put prices on what it costs to live and it appears nobody thinks they can die and if they dont they arent required to do anything.
You obviously have no idea what "burn care" consists of.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:21 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
As it stands right now, his bill will be paid by all of us.

The hospital will write it off and absorbing the costs will cause everyone's costs to go up.

And, then there's all of the fraud and abuse of insurance by medical providers. Examples such as doing the same tests over and over so they can bill for them.
Doctors who do unneccesary procedures and tests on people who have good insurance. All of these cause the cost of health insurance to continue to rise which means more and more businesses are cutting back on insurance for their employees.

Day before yesterday I ran into someone who I once worked with. I ran into them at Job Service. They were looking for a job.
The company fired 50 employees just before their 6 month anniversary right before Christmas... right before their health insurance benefits would have begun.

No,... we don't need health care reform....

Our health care system and health insurance is working just fine.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Informedconsent, this situation has NOTHING to do with a sense of entitlement.
How not? What happened to this family is indeed a tragedy, but they chose to buy cigarettes instead of using that money to take care of their family.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
As it stands right now, his bill will be paid by all of us.
The hospital will write it off and the costs will cause everyone's costs to go up.

And, then there's all of the fraud and abuse of insurance by medical providers. Examples such as doing the same tests over and over so they can bill for them. Doctors who do unneccesary procedures and tests on people who have good insurance. All of these cause the cost of health insurance to continue to rise which means more and more businesses are cutting back on insurance for their employees.

Day before yesterday I ran into someone who I once worked with. I ran into them at Job Service. They were looking for a job. The company fired 50 employees just before their 6 month anniversary right before Christmas... when their health insurance would have begun.

No,... we don't need health care reform....

Our health care system and health insurance is working just fine.
What makes you think turning it over to the government will improve things, at all? You do realize that many of those on Medicare have to buy supplemental insurance because Medicare doesn't cover everything, right?

And Medicare is insolvent...
Medicare paying out more than it takes in - ABC News

Old 01-28-2010, 01:31 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
Default The Status Quo is not working...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What makes you think turning it over to the government will improve things, at all? You do realize that many of those on Medicare have to buy supplemental insurance because Medicare doesn't cover everything, right?

And Medicare is insolvent...
Medicare paying out more than it takes in - ABC News
I do realize that...

I also know that doing nothing is not the answer.

They let the banks self regulate and look at where it's gotten us.

Fear and ignorance is the only thing stopping us from addressing an issue that is spiralling out of control.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
NCyank, who`s making excuses? I see a pharisee type attitude in your post.
You'll see what you want to see, nothing I can do about that. Granted, you don't know me or my life other than reading my post so you don't have much to go by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies