Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:49 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That's because they don't have a belief, just an anti-belief. They have no "pro" platform to talk about.
Seems to me that religionists simply have "extra" beliefs that aren't either warranted or helpful. "Excess baggage" some might call them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 06:51 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Who cares who is promoting the spiritual aspects of her life? She helped the poor, that is not limited to any religion. Sure there are knee jerk Catholic bashers but most people are rational and see her works for what they are, humanitarian.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Seems to me that religionists simply have "extra" beliefs that aren't either warranted or helpful. "Excess baggage" some might call them...
A very christian friend of mine read some mythology books and then and told me she just couldn't believe that ancient Greeks really bought all that nonsense. She actually laughed and said something about how she couldn't believe people were once that naive and gullible.

I wonder what we'll think of modern religions a few hundred years from now...probably what a lot of people already think...something greekish...

Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A very christian friend of mine read some mythology books and then and told me she just couldn't believe that ancient Greeks really bought all that nonsense. She actually laughed and said something about how she couldn't believe people were once that naive and gullible.

I wonder what we'll think of modern religions a few hundred years from now...probably what a lot of people already think...something greekish...

I have heard this a lot too. Some many Christians will make fun of other religions and beliefs and express genuine disbelief that anyone could believe in Zeus, Thor , Shiva or Tree Spirits but are somehow less challenging of their own beliefs. Intellectually disingenuous some might call it.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have heard this a lot too. Some many Christians will make fun of other religions and beliefs and express genuine disbelief that anyone could believe in Zeus, Thor , Shiva or Tree Spirits but are somehow less challenging of their own beliefs. Intellectually disingenuous some might call it.
Ironic, hypocritical, and demonstrating a huge lack of insight.

That is what I'd call it.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
I understand the objection being raised if the guidelines prohibit it.
In a practical sense I couldn't really care less.

I bought stamps in Dec...they were Christmas stamps...I didn't ask for them to be substituted (on principle)and will be sticking them on mail well into March.

If I go buy more and Mother Teresa is on the the ones they hand me, I'll probably do the same thing.
Personally it's much ado about nothing....perhaps my principles are strong enough when it comes to some things

Old 02-02-2010, 08:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with pedestals. It has to do with a willingness to accept reality as reality. Either reality trumps myth and superstition or it does not. The reality of Mother Teresa's work either matters or it doesn't.

In the realm of personal theological belief systems, there may be differing realities. It also may be difficult for a cluttered mind to accept other people's "truths".

Last edited by lilypad; 02-02-2010 at 09:20 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Only one of the two sides has wadded panties, and it isn't FFRF. Almost by definition, their audience is a bunch of rational people, not some lot of loose-cannon fanatics who can be stampeded into the streets through simple appeals to emotion.
You know perfectly well that some self-described apostles of reason can end up battier than outright believers. Look at Ayn Rand; look at the Jacobins. Even in lesser instances like this stamp issue, being "rational" is not inconsistent with being silly and petulant.

Quote:
The FFRF statement begins by noting that USPS regulations preclude it from isuuing commemoratives that "honor religious institutions or individuals whose principal achievements are associated with religious undertakings or beliefs." Will anyone argue that Mother Teresa does not fall into such a category?
I don't know, but they gave Jesus a stamp in the '60s. (!) With Mother Teresa it's a close call; while I personally believe her charity work was basically an excuse for religious indoctrination, I don't believe that is the general perception. The public sees her career differently, that of a charitable worker who was incidentally a nun; and therefore I can't imagine anyone is going to view it as an endorsement of Catholicism. If it were Ignatius Loyola, there might be some more substance to the charge.

Quote:
It continues with a summary of accumulated and well-known criticisms of Mother Teresa's work, criticisms that have long identified the lack of humanity in much of her supposedly humanitarian work.

It concludes by commending to members such wild and revolutionary acts as not buying any Mother Teresa stamps (stamps commemorating the atheist Katherine Hepburn being a good alternative), or even going so far as to write a letter to the USPS or to the editor of a local newspaper.

That's about it for FFRF panties. How about those of the reactionaries?
I don't know that the reactionaries in this instance are "wild and revolutionary" or that they recommend burning down FFRF offices or anything of the sort. They are just behaving like whiny, petty jerks who have too few real problems to worry about. Same applies in the opposite direction.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:05 PM

63 posts, read 136,381 times
*sigh* is there any thread that is semi-religious on this or another internet board that is not filled with snide comments and remarks about whether someone does, or does not believe in a diety? I swear we're all on this planet together you'd think we would work together despite being different instead of insulting one another for what apparently is no reason at all.

As far as I can tell someone has a problem with Mother Theresa being on a stamp. A STAMP. I can not recall a time when the creation of a stamp was a life altering event. It's a STAMP. A FREAKING STAMP. You put it on an envelope when you send out your mail! That's it!

I don't like chick flicks so I don't wash them. I don't like basketball so I don't watch the sport. I don't like MTV so I don't watch that channel. If you don't like the Mother Theresa stamp don't buy it! It's not like you're going to be forced to buy it, or a religious movement will start up just because the stamp is being made. Just don't buy the stamp! Is it really so hard? Really?

Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,445 times
Who cares? If you dont want to buy a Mother Teresa stamp, don't buy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies