Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
If Obama allows the Bush tax cuts to expire he will be writing himself a ticket out of town.

He cannot afford any more mistakes. He has already piled up huge mistakes after another.

What did you expect? Obama giving WORKING people a break. Not going to happen.

When the bush cuts expire, most American's won't even notice.

Even most who they might effect, won't bat a eye since they have "their people" do their taxes, and wouldn't notice the change one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
*Sigh*...life would be so much easier if everyone was Independent

I found a link to validate my post:

Stimulating $400 Per-Worker Tax Credit for 2009 and 2010

snippet:

"The stimulus package includes a $400 per-worker tax credit for 2009 and 2010, which will reduce the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck by about $13 per week in 2009 and about $7.70 per week in 2010. (The difference in 2010 is due to the $400 being spread out over the full 12 months)."
What a load of BS that "Tax Credit" is. All Obama did was manipulate everyone's withholding, but did nothing to reduce the amount that people will still owe at the end of the year. So say you plan your withholdings so that you neither get a refund or owe taxes at the end of the year. Well, because Obama manipulated how much was withheld from your checks, you will now owe money.

I think the average person who doesn't fully grasp this tax credit is thinking wow, thanks for the extra $400, Obama is the man! In reality, it does nothing to reduce the amount of federal tax owed and has the net effect of reducing your refund or increasing the amount you owe.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:44 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
When the bush cuts expire, most American's won't even notice.

Even most who they might effect, won't bat a eye since they have "their people" do their taxes, and wouldn't notice the change one way or another.
Then clearly you do not understand the Bush tax credits. Aside from the across the board decreases in federal tax brackets (ie., 15 percent tax bracket was reduced to 10 percent and the 39.6 percent tax rate fell to 35 percent), there is also the elimination of the marriage penalt, increases for the child tax credits, and estate taxes declined.

I hardly include the people in the 10% tax bracket to be part of "those who have their people" do their taxes.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
What a load of BS that "Tax Credit" is. All Obama did was manipulate everyone's withholding, but did nothing to reduce the amount that people will still owe at the end of the year. So say you plan your withholdings so that you neither get a refund or owe taxes at the end of the year. Well, because Obama manipulated how much was withheld from your checks, you will now owe money.

I think the average person who doesn't fully grasp this tax credit is thinking wow, thanks for the extra $400, Obama is the man! In reality, it does nothing to reduce the amount of federal tax owed and has the net effect of reducing your refund or increasing the amount you owe.
Except that the OP says MORE is being withheld from both her and her husband's checks! So which is it? More being deducted, or less?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:54 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Then clearly you do not understand the Bush tax credits. Aside from the across the board decreases in federal tax brackets (ie., 15 percent tax bracket was reduced to 10 percent and the 39.6 percent tax rate fell to 35 percent), there is also the elimination of the marriage penalt, increases for the child tax credits, and estate taxes declined.

I hardly include the people in the 10% tax bracket to be part of "those who have their people" do their taxes.

I understand that the 2.8 trillion that went to the upper income brackets from those cuts, could have been better used balancing the budget.
But thats OK. More for me.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:54 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:

Speaking of BS, somebody has been lying to you. Wouldn't be that rightwing radio you're so fond of?

The credit is refundable. Grasp that.

1040.com - Making Work Pay and Government Retiree Credits (http://www.1040.com/site/FederalTaxes/TaxCredits/MakingWorkPay/tabid/352/Default.aspx - broken link)

Old 01-30-2010, 10:58 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
If this were true, don't you think Fox news and EVERYBODY from the rightwingoverse would be all over it?

Why are they all so quiet?

Maybe Obama reads your posts here and is just picking on you?
Yeah I'm just saying it so you can make a silly post.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Did your state and local taxes go up? That has nothing to do with Obama. Social Security and Medicare deductions haven't changed. Withholding may have changed but that was related to a tax credit. You really don't know if your tax rate has gone up until you do your 2010 taxes. Withholding isn't taxes.
Dont pay state or local. We live in Fla.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
*Sigh*...life would be so much easier if everyone was Independent

I found a link to validate my post:

Stimulating $400 Per-Worker Tax Credit for 2009 and 2010

snippet:

"The stimulus package includes a $400 per-worker tax credit for 2009 and 2010, which will reduce the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck by about $13 per week in 2009 and about $7.70 per week in 2010. (The difference in 2010 is due to the $400 being spread out over the full 12 months)."
I remember that now.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Speaking of BS, somebody has been lying to you. Wouldn't be that rightwing radio you're so fond of?

The credit is refundable. Grasp that.

1040.com - Making Work Pay and Government Retiree Credits (http://www.1040.com/site/FederalTaxes/TaxCredits/MakingWorkPay/tabid/352/Default.aspx - broken link)
Getting a total of an $800 dollar refund is fun...until you "NOTICE" you've paid an additional $3,000.00 in federal taxes for 2009. As a self-employed paying quarterly taxes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies