Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times

Advertisements

Benjamin Banneker

Benjamin Banneker's Life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
MrSykes, I am not the only one in this thread that objects to Black History Month, so why pick on me?

In addition, I was referring to Moonlover's post just yesterday where she thought that only white people enslaved others. Every culture and race has both good and bad history and traditions. Even the Chinese with their foot binding of their women and drowning of their unwanted female babies. I just wanted to put some proper perspective on black history. Black history is not all wonderful, and there is no reason to try to make it so.

BTW I learned about various world cultures on my own, through reading and watching PBS tv, my school, my parents and friends. I never needed a special history month to encourage me to seek knowledge.

From the definition of a negro thread yesterday:

that was yesterday and a different thread...as such considering your previous post was off topic, it should be deleted. Not only did you show your disagreement with blackhistory month, the tone once again showed your bias against Blacks. If that is not your true intention, then maybe you should tone it down a bit.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:06 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
For classical music enthusiasts like myself:

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Afro-British Composer & Conductor

William Grant Still, African American Composer, Arranger & Oboist

Le Chevalier de Saint-George, Afro-French Composer, Violinist & Conductor

And many others....

AfriClassical - African Heritage in Classical Music

Old 02-01-2010, 10:17 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
A whole month devoted to one type of history seems very excessive to me. Otherwise, one purpose of studying history is examine the bad parts and not repeat the same mistakes in the future. And that's why it's appropriate during Black History Month to also examine the negatives.

Otherwise, glorifying only the high points of black history is only for the purpose of building black self esteem... so how much longer do African Americans need to be coddled like this?

And if I didn't know that there was an Asian History Month, it's because I've never needed it. And no one I know pays attention to that nonsense anyway. Instead, go to your public libraries! Use the internet every day of the year to keep expanding your knowledge on all topics, not just your own race or culture. Blacks elevating Black History Month is like hometown fans cheering on their sports teams and thinking them the best in the league, and each time their team wins they feel like superior human beings. And if their hometown team wins the league championship, they feel like winn4rs. Stop living vicariously through the accomplishments of "your people". It doesn't matter what others of your race or culture has accomplished. People are judged on their own individual merit, not on what their race or culture has done in the past.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
MrSykes, I am not the only one in this thread that objects to Black History Month, so why pick on me?

In addition, I was referring to Moonlover's post just yesterday where she thought that only white people enslaved others. Every culture and race has both good and bad history and traditions. Even the Chinese with their foot binding of their women and drowning of their unwanted female babies. I just wanted to put some proper perspective on black history. Black history is not all wonderful, and there is no reason to try to make it so.

BTW I learned about various world cultures on my own, through reading and watching PBS tv, my school, my parents and friends. I never needed a special history month to encourage me to seek knowledge.

From the definition of a negro thread yesterday:
Then take it to the other thread. Here's not the place, nor is it the time to dredge up non-western cultural practices that have absolutely nothing to do with African-American history. And you were the one complaining that other minority groups don't have a designated month. Now that that's been refuted, you claim you don't "need one". Which one is it? Obviously many Asian-Americans disagree with your assessment.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Bridget Biddy Mason

Biddy Mason - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'Biddy Mason' - Los Angeles Times

Born a slave in 1818 in the state of Georgia, was given to her master as a wedding gift to Robert Smith and his bride. Mr Smith moved (along with 14 slaves) to the Western territories to help establish a Mormon settlement in California. Upon learning that California was a "free" state, Biddy Mason petitioned the court for her freedom which the court granted in 1856.

She began working for doctor, in Los Angeles, as a nurse for $2.50 a day. She saved $250 which she used to purchase land (which at the time was out in the country) in the area which is downtown Los Angeles (at 3rd and Spring Street). She continued to save money and purchase real estate. During the population boom of the 1880s, Biddy Mason sold some of her land which had become extremely valuable and was now a very wealthy woman.

She started a school, taught other women to be nurses and continued to provide nursing care to the needy for free. She used her abundance to provide generously to others and was one of the founders of the legendary First AME Church of Los Angeles.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:12 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,981 times
Whites will never and should never get their own history month..POINT BLANK. They already have 11 months out of the year..

Old 02-01-2010, 12:19 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faygo42 View Post
Whites will never and should never get their own history month..POINT BLANK. They already have 11 months out of the year..

Really please explain I would love to hear how every month is white history month.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faygo42 View Post
That is without a doubt the most ignorant thing I've heard on this subject. It has absolutely no merit whatsoever and is nothing more than an impulsive retort based on emotion or lack of education or both.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Really please explain I would love to hear how every month is white history month.

I'm sure you know, so I don't feel the need to explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies